BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley & Blackpool away

Hughesy

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jack Walker was way ahead of the game in spotting the way live TV would transform football's finances and make the Premier League the global phenomenon it is today. The explosion in player wages and concentration of wealth among a few elite clubs would have happened anyway. Walker cannot be blamed for being the first to see it coming. Walker might be seen as "sugar daddy" but his wealth is minsicule compared to the riches amassed by the owners of clubs such as Chelsea and Manchester City. He also insisted (wrongly some would say) that Rovers became self-financing in the long term which led to him to turn off the money tap at exactly the wrong time after Rovers won the championship in 1995. With the concentration of wealth among big city clubs, a town club like Rovers winning the English league title is very unlikely to happen again - ever. It's sad that nearly 20 years on from the title victory on Rovers continue to receive criticism.

Well I think I pretty much said as much Jim BUT at that time he was way ahead of any other owner in terms of wealth, certainly real money as opposed to paper wealth. Even today his wealth would have eclipsed all but a few Premier League owners

I see the ticket office are being jobsworth again re obtaining burnley tickets. I got my mrs to drop my application forms off today at club shop. They scrutinised every 1 of them and saw I had asked for an adult ticket on my sister in laws junior application form. Obviously this was for a mate. This results in my mrs being cross examined by this employee, the application being rejected and a very disappointed rovers fan not going to burnley.

I know some of you will think tough luck, and the ticket office are simply upholding the criteria. However, remember this incident when there are loads of empty seats in the away end come the 2nd December. I've spoken to lot of rovers fans who aren't going because of the hassle involved in getting there. Not a chance we will sell out with the hitlers running the ticket office.

I see the ticket office are being jobsworth again re obtaining burnley tickets. I got my mrs to drop my application forms off today at club shop. They scrutinised every 1 of them and saw I had asked for an adult ticket on my sister in laws junior season ticket application form. Obviously this was for a mate. This results in my mrs being cross examined by this employee, the application being rejected and a very disappointed rovers fan not going to burnley.

I know some of you will think tough luck, and the ticket office are simply upholding the criteria. However, remember this incident when there are loads of empty seats in the away end come the 2nd December. I've spoken to lot of rovers fans who aren't going because of the hassle involved in getting there. Not a chance we will sell out with the hitlers running the ticket office.

Is your mate a season ticket holder?

• Backroom

I see the ticket office are being jobsworth again re obtaining burnley tickets. I got my mrs to drop my application forms off today at club shop. They scrutinised every 1 of them and saw I had asked for an adult ticket on my sister in laws junior application form. Obviously this was for a mate. This results in my mrs being cross examined by this employee, the application being rejected and a very disappointed rovers fan not going to burnley.

Jobsworths or not they are doing the right thing in my opinion, they have to uphold the criteria or else people would kick off if they missed out

Which Tom I could perfectly understand if this was for burnley away in 2010 when we last played them, when the tickets were very much in demand and sold out very quickly. However there is not the same interest this time around, we have a bigger allocation and a lot of people who went last time don't want to put up with the same arrangements again.

I don't think rovers are in a position to turn away support at the minute

Coach leaves from Clayton at 11 apparently so doesn't sound too bad at all

True enough

I'm one of them myself, had the form through but its more hassle and stress than I can be bothered with

Seriously? Really don't get this attitude at all! IT'S BURNLEY!!

Coach leaves from Clayton at 11 apparently so doesn't sound too bad at all

Seriously? Really don't get this attitude at all! IT'S BURNLEY!!

This is what i was getting at the other day. Just don't understand some of our lot at all but that's modern day football fans. Although i suppose it's worth noting that quite a few big derby games outside of the top clubs have failed to sell out sometimes in recent years. Price and tv will be the main issue but no doubt the 'bubble match' hassle kills it for some, such a shame.

True enough

I'm one of them myself, had the form through but its more hassle and stress than I can be bothered with

Tom. So it's not worth the hassle of filling in a form, getting up early on a Sunday morning, getting a coach from Ewood to Turf Moor and back ? :wacko:

Nothing compares to seeing Rovers beat Burnley on their home ground.

• Backroom

Hassle and stress was a bad way of putting it (hyperbole in the extreme) but I just don't have much interest in going, got a feeling they are going to do us personally and I can't be arsed enough with the military operation enforced to want to go.

Surely its each to their own, I have a season ticket, I love going but just not really doing away games this season. On top of that its coming up to Christmas and I'm brassic.

Not that I have to explain myself here mind

• Backroom

Fingers crossed, I admit I'm one of those nervy types when it comes to footy, turn the other way at penalties etc and its just like we have more to lose than they do when these games come around

Wonder if their toilets will stay intact this time around, not seen a concourse that bad in a long time

The concourse should be better this time on the basis we have the full stand I would have thought. There was very nearly mass disorder last time when the segregating door got kicked through at half time, unbelievable that they only had 2 young Asian lads who looked about 17 taking care of that because a riot was looking likely at one point.

Couldn't blame anyone for not going. The crap involved in attending this game as an away fan isn't worth it (not when we lose every time anyway..).

Obviously I'll go to the Turf but can't be bothered with being treated like that on the way to Ewood again. The police and clubs have lost the plot with this fixture.

I'm not sure what happened between the evening replay at Ewood in 2005 when everyone made their own way there and now to make this 'bubble' thing necessary.

I was not going to go due to the travel arrangements but a combination of it not being on TV, Departure point from Clayton, peer pressure over a few beers means I will be going . This will be the first game at Burnley I will have attended since a pre season friendly circa 1989/90. We had part of the longside and the air was thick with paper planes. Might have been the first game we played them after the fly over.

I was not going to go due to the travel arrangements but a combination of it not being on TV, Departure point from Clayton, peer pressure over a few beers means I will be going . This will be the first game at Burnley I will have attended since a pre season friendly circa 1989/90. We had part of the longside and the air was thick with paper planes. Might have been the first game we played them after the fly over.

Was that the game when Steve Livingstone scored in a (I think) 1-1 draw?

The concourse should be better this time on the basis we have the full stand I would have thought. There was very nearly mass disorder last time when the segregating door got kicked through at half time, unbelievable that they only had 2 young Asian lads who looked about 17 taking care of that because a riot was looking likely at one point.

Aye , one got to the door and lobbed something in which hit me in the mush as I queued for a beer .i

We apperently get coach/match tickets etc beforehand . Can you make your own way there in this free country of ours ?

Was that the game when Steve Livingstone scored in a (I think) 1-1 draw?

Those pre season games were quality in late 80's/90. Went to 3 on the bounce and think we won,drew,lost or something like that. Always fantastic atmosephere on the old longside and a crowd similar to the league crowds we were both getting at the time. Went on the train a couple of times and it did get a bit tasty but always plenty of police about with snarling dogs and horses as was the order of the day, not the overblown robocops you see these days. Some went looking for trouble or mouthing off but by and large the rest left each other alone.

Archived