BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football Manager 2013

• Backroom

I have gone back to my FM12 save. FM13 match engine just has to many bugs which are ruining the experience for me, therefore have given up on it for now and gone back to FM12.

Hopefully future patches can sort out the match engine, for the first time ever I will say that with this many bugs SI I should've delayed the release by a month or so to get things right.

I didn't get FM12 last year as I didn't think it had enough improvements on FM11 to make it worth it. I also only got FM11 in March after the last patch had been released as I was sick of handing over my cash year after year in october for a half-finished product. I made a mistake this year in giving SI my cash early, and won't be doing it again. Thankfully I still really enjoy FM11 so it's not a huge issue. By the third patch I'm sure FM13 will be a great game. I really like the way the 3D match engine looks (but it plays terribly, so many bugs). I hate the lack of overview screen in matches though, and the fact you have to generate a full match report to just look at the stats for any game... stupid little things that are very irritating and totally unnecessary.

I also find it incredible that the editor has been released WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO ADD PLAYERS INTO THE GAME. The most simple and basic of functions for an editor and it doesn't work. It really calls SI's professionalism into question.

I haven't played the latest FM for a couple of years. There's been a couple of factors in that with the major one being a lack of time. Can those who have played the latest version tell me a little bit about "Classic mode"? I've read that you can whistle through a season in 7 hours or so, which is exactly what I'd be after. But is it any good, or does it miss all of the decent stuff out?

I completed a season in classic mode in two and a half hours. I guess it depends on your processor and how much time you want to spend on various parts of the game. There's still a fair amount to do - I got through my season so quickly primarily through using 'instant result' which tells you the result without going through the match itself. It's fast but of course a lot harder to pinpoint if something is going wrong. You can still watch 3D highlights etc. There aren't any stupid press conferences (which SI haven't updated since FM11 apparently... criminal for such a poor feature) and you don't have to deal with training.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completed a season in classic mode in two and a half hours. I guess it depends on your processor and how much time you want to spend on various parts of the game. There's still a fair amount to do - I got through my season so quickly primarily through using 'instant result' which tells you the result without going through the match itself. It's fast but of course a lot harder to pinpoint if something is going wrong. You can still watch 3D highlights etc. There aren't any stupid press conferences (which SI haven't updated since FM11 apparently... criminal for such a poor feature) and you don't have to deal with training.

Nice one - thanks for your feedback. The classic mode does sound like it could well be my answer.

General consensus seems to be to wait until the bugs have been fixed before playing - so I'll wait until the first patch comes out before buying it.

In to season 3 with rovers first promoted via play offs then finished 4th in prem 2nd season currently through to knockout stages of champions league while sitting in 4th again in mid december.

Ladies n' gentleman, the most realistic football management simulator. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently 4th with Rovers in January of first season, finding it hard to get any consistency, I will go and the bigger teams away and struggle with easier games. Robbie Cotton has just broke through to the team after dominating against Peterborough in the cup.

One question, does everyone tend to use player roles and duties? As I can't decide whether its best to use them or leave the automatically assigned roles that come with the formation, which funnily enough have been getting me results at the minute.

And if anyone knows how to get the bet out of Jordan Rhodes, please let me know :)

• 3 weeks later...

Football manager 2013 is now just £20 on steam(even cheaper on other sites), but after a quick go on the demo its still doesn't seem worth it, I've been playing champ manager since the early 90s and its got better(to varying degrees) every year until now! its seems to have really taken a wrong turn and lost its way, Some aspects of the "classic" mode are just completely against what FM/CM was all about and the layout makes me dizzy.

I tend to play long games, so I tend to make each version last for a few years (loong games. My most recent save is '11, in my latest season I finally managed to win the premier league... with Corinthian Casuals.) Is '13 good enough to sustain a few years of gameplay? If not I'm quite prepared to wait around until 14 or 15

• 2 weeks later...

Best thing I've found so far is that you can terminate the contract of a certain "director of football".

But yeah, I agree, it's an uneven experience. The start screen contains way to much information, it just gets messy. I don't like what they have done to the training either. It just seems complicated. Or maybe I just can't find the way to indiviualise the training for each player...

Best thing I've found so far is that you can terminate the contract of a certain "director of football".

But yeah, I agree, it's an uneven experience. The start screen contains way to much information, it just gets messy. I don't like what they have done to the training either. It just seems complicated. Or maybe I just can't find the way to indiviualise the training for each player...

Training has been simplified, you can either do individual roles (ie DLP for DM, or you can do specific attributes)

The patches have ruined the game tbh. Wingers and anyone with 15+ dribbling just destroy defences as they refuse to tackle

Thats actually untrue kind of. The ME is very buggy and doesnt always show the correct thing (2d works much better for visual representation) FM bases results based on your and the AI tactics, players, their condition, subs used sideline shouts, training ext and uses this to simulate the result. The match view ME tries to simulate this but sadly does so very badly meaning that winger that is making your FB look like a FB has no bearing on the game as say you GK gets the ball from the cross instead

Training has been simplified, you can either do individual roles (ie DLP for DM, or you can do specific attributes)

Thats actually untrue kind of. The ME is very buggy and doesnt always show the correct thing (2d works much better for visual representation) FM bases results based on your and the AI tactics, players, their condition, subs used sideline shouts, training ext and uses this to simulate the result. The match view ME tries to simulate this but sadly does so very badly meaning that winger that is making your FB look like a FB has no bearing on the game as say you GK gets the ball from the cross instead

There is no difference between 2d and 3d ME, other than the graphics, the underlying code is exactly the same.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived