BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] sam glad to be out of brfc

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rovers sacking Allardyce was literally the stupidest thing I've seen any club do in decades. That many fans approved of it is a very depressing reflection on the overall intelligence level of our support.

I agree with the majority of that, although, I do feel sorry for any fan who grew up 'after cash' as their expectations of BRFC are far different than those used to the few decades before cash. I suppose I fall into the 'Uncle Jack provided me with something I could only dream of camp' given what had gone for the previous 20+ yrs. And now he's gone, nobody will have his undivided drive for success without considering taking something out. Now, nothing surprises me at Rovers. I just see the buzzards circling to see if there's any meat left on the carcase. I fear we will be back where we were when I first went down to Ewood unless a lot of things change. How we need a Sam, Williams and the rest of the board now! It makes me keaning sick when I look back at our club since Sam was sacked

Rovers sacking Allardyce was literally the stupidest thing I've seen any club do in decades. That many fans approved of it is a very depressing reflection on the overall intelligence level of our support.

I would think that the Trust selling the club to Venky's trumps that.

I would think that the Trust selling the club to Venky's trumps that.

Disagree with that personally. The Trust rejected earlier bids on the grounds of financial instability, saving us from potential bankruptcy in the case of Ali Syed. Their main concern was to sell Rovers to a financially stable company, and as even that took about 4 years to achieve, finding one with guaranteed ideal motivations on top of it might never have happened. They wanted to sell, and as such it was a risky but not unreasonable decision.

Sacking Allardyce on the other hand, well where to begin. A manager with a superb track record, who had already saved the club £40m a season by keeping us in the league, and who could guarantee mid-table at worst, europe at best. But no no no, we're Blackburn Rovers, a club apparently too good for long-ball football, who should be tippy-tappying our way to success in a league in which we were one of the smallest clubs. Utter, utter madness. And its that shared insanity between Venkys and our more delusional fans which has led us to this.

Disagree with that personally. The Trust rejected earlier bids on the grounds of financial instability, saving us from potential bankruptcy in the case of Ali Syed. Their main concern was to sell Rovers to a financially stable company, and as even that took about 4 years to achieve, finding one with guaranteed ideal motivations on top of it might never have happened. They wanted to sell, and as such it was a risky but not unreasonable decision.

Sacking Allardyce on the other hand, well where to begin. A manager with a superb track record, who had already saved the club £40m a season by keeping us in the league, and who could guarantee mid-table at worst, europe at best. But no no no, we're Blackburn Rovers, a club apparently too good for long-ball football, who should be tippy-tappying our way to success in a league in which we were one of the smallest clubs. Utter, utter madness. And its that shared insanity between Venkys and our more delusional fans which has led us to this.

The delusional fans did not sack Sam though

The delusional fans did not sack Sam though

But did they contribute to Venkys thinking when they did it? No way to tell I suppose, but had Venkys been convinced that the decision would cause unanimous outrage, I'm not sure they'd have had the guts to do it. As it was, it got a mixed reaction which only became unanimous when Kean started ballsing the whole thing up.

Yeah he probably thinks the same about you!

He may as well cos everybody else does. ^_^

McLove... Take it from me that there are all sorts on here but none as clueless about football matters as eddie.

You would still have sacked him? Deary me. There are very few better than Sam as we are now finding out. It might be quite some time before we find someone half as good.

And if we do some bigger club will snaffle him away asap. It's Dog eat Dog down here and we are a small dog.

A very strange post from somebody who, I assume, purports to be a Rovers supporter.

Complete with smiley. You seem delighted.

Presuming you were one of the many supporters disgruntled by the Trust and the management two years ago Chris then all that I have to say is..... I hate to say I told you so-- but I told you so. :tu:

But did they contribute to Venkys thinking when they did it? No way to tell I suppose, but had Venkys been convinced that the decision would cause unanimous outrage, I'm not sure they'd have had the guts to do it. As it was, it got a mixed reaction which only became unanimous when Kean started ballsing the whole thing up.

Venky's got rid of Sam? , So it wasn't the decision of their advisor that got rid of Sam (as per the pre takeover plan) along with making it difficult for anybody at the club who didn't share the "owners" vision of unchecked mandates, inflated agent fees and dubious on field tactics. Could be wrong and doing Mrs D a disservice as per her comments it was obvious she had studied the world game and shared the passion of Barcelona's youth set up system and the Dutch total football philosophy.

The problem was the replacement, not the sacking. It was often said that it was Allardyce or relegation but I'm quite sure that was not the case given that a nobody who wasn't even a manager only took us a few points closer to the drop than we already were the season Kean took over and the season we went down it took an almighty collapse in the last straight to knock us (deservedly) down. Had we had a half decent manager then relegation would have been far from a certainty.

That's the only point I'll make - it isn't Allardyce or down and therefore I'd not have him and would indeed have sacked him had I been there and just taken over the club. It's integral that you have an actual manager at the club though, that's where we suffered, along with a few other issues. Did a great job in turning the club around when he took over, but he's ideally a temporary manager when you're on your knees unless you want to be bored to sleep and get neck ache every game when you don't need to.

That's the only point I'll make - it isn't Allardyce or down and therefore I'd not have him and would indeed have sacked him had I been there and just taken over the club. It's integral that you have an actual manager at the club though, that's where we suffered, along with a few other issues. Did a great job in turning the club around when he took over, but he's ideally a temporary manager when you're on your knees unless you want to be bored to sleep and get neck ache every game when you don't need to.

In which case you would be as big a fool as Venky's. You still don't get it do you .....?

West Ham fans I have spoken to are bored to death at being 7th in the Premier League while we are languishing a division below.

In which case you would be as big a fool as Venky's. You still don't get it do you .....?

West Ham fans I have spoken to are bored to death at being 7th in the Premier League while we are languishing a division below.

No, I'd have brought in a proper manager and things would not have turned out exactly the same as they did. Obviously there's risks with everything, but it clearly wasn't Allardyce or down.

West Ham will tire of him soon enough and move on. He's the bitter pill they had to take, but they won't keep taking the medicine once they are comfortably cured.

Why bring in a "proper manager" when there is a very good one already in place ? And name a credible alternative because there ain't one.

All managers have a shelf life and Sam's no different. But West Ham will dump him at their peril because every club that Sam has left has been relegated.

Why bring in a "proper manager" when there is a very good one already in place ? And name a credible alternative because there ain't one.

All managers have a shelf life and Sam's no different. But West Ham will dump him at their peril because every club that Sam has left has been relegated.

Because there are other managers who could provide better quality and achieve safety and possibly more. Credible alternatives. Hmm, we could have had Pardew at the time, Curbishley, the likes of your Di Matteo's wouldn't have been out of the question back then, Laudrup would have been interested (I might be confusing timings but I wanted him when we got Ince - I think it was at that stage). Who knows who we could have got. We didn't make a good choice, though.

So Bolton got relegated because they sacked Allardyce?

If you think any of Pardew, Curbishley, Di Matteo or Laudrup would have come to a Venky's owned, cash-strapped post-Walker era Ewood you are more deluded than you already appear.

Pardew has done well so far at Newcastle but their fans went ballistic when he was appointed - I bet Rovers fans would have done exactly the same. Curbishley has been out of football for five years - yesterday's man. Di Matteo was sacked by West Brom but has been lucky to fall on his feet at Chelsea.There are already rumblings about player discontent at Swansea so Laudrup might be on borrowed time.

The point is, Rovers are short of money and we already had in place the master of managing on a shoestring. Sacking him was stupid and unnecessary, and there is no guarantee any of your suggestions would have done any better.

Because there are other managers who could provide better quality and achieve safety and possibly more. Credible alternatives. Hmm, we could have had Pardew at the time, Curbishley, the likes of your Di Matteo's wouldn't have been out of the question back then, Laudrup would have been interested (I might be confusing timings but I wanted him when we got Ince - I think it was at that stage). Who knows who we could have got. We didn't make a good choice, though.

So Bolton got relegated because they sacked Allardyce?

None of those have a managerial record that comes even close to allardyces. Allow me to cut and paste tfrom Wiki the career of your first choice Alan Pardew.....

"West Ham United

Early into the 2003–04 season, West Ham United asked Reading permission to appoint Pardew as their new manager. Although Reading refused permission, Pardew resigned from his position forcing the issue. Eventually, a compromise agreement was reached allowing Pardew to become manager at West Ham.[6]

Pardew's first season at West Ham resulted in a play-off final defeat to his former club Crystal Palace.[7] In the 2004–05 season West Ham struggled to find promotion form, with Pardew coming under pressure from the club's supporters.[8] West Ham eventually succeeded in gaining promotion to the Premier League after defeating Preston North End in the play-off final.[9] Pardew guided the Hammers to ninth place in the Premier League in the 2005–06 season, which culminated in an appearance in the final of the FA Cup. After drawing 3–3 with Liverpool at the end of extra-time, West Ham lost on penalties,[10] resulting in the second FA Cup Final defeat of Pardew's career.

In the 2006–07 season, Pardew was criticised after seeing West Ham through their worst run of defeats in over 70 years which included an exit from the UEFA Cup to Palermo in the very first round[11] and a League Cup defeat to Chesterfield.[12] West Ham's new owners stated their support for Pardew,[13] but on 11 December 2006, following a 4–0 defeat away at Bolton Wanderers the previous weekend, it was announced that Pardew had been sacked by West Ham. The club statement read "The chairman Mr Eggert Magnússon and the board have been concerned by the performances of recent weeks and feel that it is the right time to make a change in the best interests of the club."[14]

[edit] Charlton Athletic

Pardew's absence from management lasted less than two weeks when he was appointed manager of Charlton Athletic on Christmas Eve 2006, signing a three-and-a-half year contract.[15] He took over with Charlton in 19th place in the Premier League, with just 12 points and a –20 goal difference, the lowest in the league. Although Charlton's form improved under Pardew,[16] he was unable to keep Charlton up, resulting in the first relegation of his career, both as a player and manager.[17]

Many expected Charlton to bounce back from relegation into the Premier League with signings such as Chris Iwelumo and Luke Varney in the 2007/08 season. But Charlton failed to mount a serious promotion challenge and finished the season in 11th. This put Pardew under pressure going into the 08/09 season but Charlton started the season off well with victories over Reading and Swansea. However, Charlton's form very quickly deteriorated and they were near the foot of the table after 8 games without a win. After an inept display in a 5-2 home defeat to Sheffield United hundreds of supporters remained for more than an hour to condemn their manager, chanting, "We want Pardew out" and "We want our club back" after Charlton had slipped into the Championship's bottom three.[18][19] On 22 November 2008, Pardew parted company with Charlton by mutual consent.[20]

[edit] Southampton

Pardew was named the new manager of Southampton in the early hours of 17 July 2009,[21] after the new owner Markus Liebherr had taken over the club and sacked Mark Wotte a day after completing the deal to save The Saints. Pardew's first signing for the club was Dan Harding who signed on a free transfer after being released by Ipswich Town. His first league match in charge was against Millwall on 8 August, which ended in a 1–1 draw. He brought many new signings to the club including notable League One strikers Rickie Lambert and Lee Barnard, the first of which cost more than £1 million. Pardew led his side up the League One table and despite their 10 point deduction, their challenge for a playoff place was kept alive until there were just two league games remaining.

Pardew led Southampton to the 2010 Football League Trophy Final at Wembley, where they won 4–1 against Carlisle United. The win gave the club their first trophy since 1976. Five months later Pardew was dismissed by the club[22][23] amidst reports of low staff morale and conflicts between Pardew and club chairman, Nicola Cortese.[24][25

Spoke to a West Ham fan today, said he is really happy with Big Sam after being skeptical at first - says promotion was great and is delighted with their start to the season. Says playing some really good football too which is a bonus.

Asked me why did we sack him? ZZzzzzzzzzz

If you think any of Pardew, Curbishley, Di Matteo or Laudrup would have come to a Venky's owned, cash-strapped post-Walker era Ewood you are more deluded than you already appear.

Pardew has done well so far at Newcastle but their fans went ballistic when he was appointed - I bet Rovers fans would have done exactly the same. Curbishley has been out of football for five years - yesterday's man. Di Matteo was sacked by West Brom but has been lucky to fall on his feet at Chelsea.There are already rumblings about player discontent at Swansea so Laudrup might be on borrowed time.

The point is, Rovers are short of money and we already had in place the master of managing on a shoestring. Sacking him was stupid and unnecessary, and there is no guarantee any of your suggestions would have done any better.

Considering Laudrup was interested and as you say Curbishley has been out of work for a while I don't see why you're saying it's deluded for them to come. No guarantee that Curbishley couldn't manage again because he had been out of work for 5 years. As for the Pardew thing, so what if the fans wouldn't have wanted it. They hired Kean didn't they? Did the fans want that? You're looking at things with far too much retrospect. Who thought they didn't have much to spend back then?

So you've gone from there being nobody else who could do it to there's no guarantee in the ones I suggested. Well, I know that, it's the same with any appointment. But they each could have kept us up if Kean managed it for half a season and wasn't a million miles off doing the next season, and that would have been all I required if it meant getting rid of Allardyce who had killed football for me.

Obviously, I'm speaking from my own opinion here and many people would have been happy to keep him on and watch Allardyce FC, and fair enough to those people, but I'm merely saying what I'd have done. Do calm down.

None of those have a managerial record that comes even close to allardyces. Allow me to cut and paste tfrom Wiki the career of your first choice Alan Pardew.....

"West Ham United

Early into the 2003–04 season, West Ham United asked Reading permission to appoint Pardew as their new manager. Although Reading refused permission, Pardew resigned from his position forcing the issue. Eventually, a compromise agreement was reached allowing Pardew to become manager at West Ham.[6]

Pardew's first season at West Ham resulted in a play-off final defeat to his former club Crystal Palace.[7] In the 2004–05 season West Ham struggled to find promotion form, with Pardew coming under pressure from the club's supporters.[8] West Ham eventually succeeded in gaining promotion to the Premier League after defeating Preston North End in the play-off final.[9] Pardew guided the Hammers to ninth place in the Premier League in the 2005–06 season, which culminated in an appearance in the final of the FA Cup. After drawing 3–3 with Liverpool at the end of extra-time, West Ham lost on penalties,[10] resulting in the second FA Cup Final defeat of Pardew's career.

In the 2006–07 season, Pardew was criticised after seeing West Ham through their worst run of defeats in over 70 years which included an exit from the UEFA Cup to Palermo in the very first round[11] and a League Cup defeat to Chesterfield.[12] West Ham's new owners stated their support for Pardew,[13] but on 11 December 2006, following a 4–0 defeat away at Bolton Wanderers the previous weekend, it was announced that Pardew had been sacked by West Ham. The club statement read "The chairman Mr Eggert Magnússon and the board have been concerned by the performances of recent weeks and feel that it is the right time to make a change in the best interests of the club."[14]

[edit] Charlton Athletic

Pardew's absence from management lasted less than two weeks when he was appointed manager of Charlton Athletic on Christmas Eve 2006, signing a three-and-a-half year contract.[15] He took over with Charlton in 19th place in the Premier League, with just 12 points and a –20 goal difference, the lowest in the league. Although Charlton's form improved under Pardew,[16] he was unable to keep Charlton up, resulting in the first relegation of his career, both as a player and manager.[17]

Many expected Charlton to bounce back from relegation into the Premier League with signings such as Chris Iwelumo and Luke Varney in the 2007/08 season. But Charlton failed to mount a serious promotion challenge and finished the season in 11th. This put Pardew under pressure going into the 08/09 season but Charlton started the season off well with victories over Reading and Swansea. However, Charlton's form very quickly deteriorated and they were near the foot of the table after 8 games without a win. After an inept display in a 5-2 home defeat to Sheffield United hundreds of supporters remained for more than an hour to condemn their manager, chanting, "We want Pardew out" and "We want our club back" after Charlton had slipped into the Championship's bottom three.[18][19] On 22 November 2008, Pardew parted company with Charlton by mutual consent.[20]

[edit] Southampton

Pardew was named the new manager of Southampton in the early hours of 17 July 2009,[21] after the new owner Markus Liebherr had taken over the club and sacked Mark Wotte a day after completing the deal to save The Saints. Pardew's first signing for the club was Dan Harding who signed on a free transfer after being released by Ipswich Town. His first league match in charge was against Millwall on 8 August, which ended in a 1–1 draw. He brought many new signings to the club including notable League One strikers Rickie Lambert and Lee Barnard, the first of which cost more than £1 million. Pardew led his side up the League One table and despite their 10 point deduction, their challenge for a playoff place was kept alive until there were just two league games remaining.

Pardew led Southampton to the 2010 Football League Trophy Final at Wembley, where they won 4–1 against Carlisle United. The win gave the club their first trophy since 1976. Five months later Pardew was dismissed by the club[22][23] amidst reports of low staff morale and conflicts between Pardew and club chairman, Nicola Cortese.[24][25

You are missing the point. I'm not talking about achieving the same as Allardyce. I'm talking about stopping inthe division and watching a decent football match once in a while.

Hey up....... The usual cop out excuse!

How is not an important part? The sacking of Allardyce was not the problem, it was the subsequent appointment. That's not copping out.

Spoke to a West Ham fan today, said he is really happy with Big Sam after being skeptical at first - says promotion was great and is delighted with their start to the season. Says playing some really good football too which is a bonus.

Asked me why did we sack him? ZZzzzzzzzzz

Yes, how very boring.............Their gain and all that.

Archived