BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] John Connelly

he made good chips.

One of my mates reckons he's gone to a better plaice! :glare: Sorry.

how games did he play for us?

Rovers' site refers to League & Cup.

According to Mike Jackman's "Blackburn Rovers: A complete record 1875-1990", he made 148 League starts + 1 sub [36 goals]; 6+0 [2] in the F.A. Cup & 9+0 [1] in the League Cup. The totals work out the same.

John Connelly, John Connelly, the winger to watch. Or so we sang in those days !

Made his name at Burnley and Man U of course, then changed his hair style when he joined us and we didn't recognise him.

He still had a bit of pace and a few tricks when he played for Rovers.

R.I.P.

Past his best when he joined us but gave occasional glimpses of his top form and a good player for Rovers. Played in United's 5-0 thrashing of Rovers at Ewood in 1965-66 season - a defeat that really hurt me.

Member of the 1966 World Cup-winning squad and actually played the first game of the tournament only to be dropped - hence Ramsey's "wingless wonders".

John was one of my favourite players during that mid to late sixties period. He was a superb winger but could score goals as well. More importantly he was a really great guy and always had time for the fans. I remember him playing against the Rovers for both Burnley and United and he always impressed. One of a very small and select band who were highly regarded at both Ewood and the Turf. Sad news indeed.

Past his best when he joined us as Jim says.

Named "Handbag" at an early stage on the basis that he never ever tackled at all, he bore the heckling with great humour and won the fans over with his dignity rather than his actual contribution.

What is it with our supporters and wingers by the way?!!!!!!

What is it with our supporters and wingers by the way?!!!!!!

He was just before I started watching 47er, was he a left winger by any chance? Its called Left Winger Syndrome (Wilcox, Pedersen) though admittedly there are exceptions like Jimmy Quinn. Particularly affects Ewood halfwits.

Right winger. He could always be relied upon to get a cross in for Don Martin. His goals to appearance ration is excellent for a winger, especially as he didn't take pens or free kicks in scoring position from what I remember. In his last year, Brian Hill on the left wing copped the flack from the Riverside, quite rightly.

Most of the players that got stick from the speccies deserved it. It's a bit like ask the audience on " Who want's to be a millionaire ".

Right winger. He could always be relied upon to get a cross in for Don Martin. His goals to appearance ration is excellent for a winger, especially as he didn't take pens or free kicks in scoring position from what I remember. In his last year, Brian Hill on the left wing copped the flack from the Riverside, quite rightly.

Brian Hill made me look like Gareth Bale, ie I could run.

Archived