BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] iPad 4

I think the Apple bubble is going to burst before long.

No real new innovation - certainly not hardware-wise and very little software that other companies haven't already done.

Combine that with a seemingly suicidal need to make their own hardware and accessories obsolete and I think people are going to lose interest.

Yet they instantly sold out of stock of the iPad mini in the UK.

I like the us amazon site where they advertise "much more for much less" and compare the kindle fire hd side by side with the mini.

Theres always people prepared to pay the premium for something with an Apple logo on.

Yet they instantly sold out of stock of the iPad mini in the UK.

I like the us amazon site where they advertise "much more for much less" and compare the kindle fire hd side by side with the mini.

Theres always people prepared to pay the premium for something with an Apple logo on.

Do we know how many units? Apple are amazing at marketing and creating a desire for their product. It can only last so long before they need to start doing something differently.

Don't get me wrong, I like Apple products - I can't get into the Android OSs. I just think people are going to get fed up eventually of the obsolescence cycle.

Yes, they also slipped in a new iPad 4 "with retina display" that has 4x graphics power of the 3. It's also got the new smaller lightening dock.

They now sell the mini, pad 2 (for some reason) and the 4. They have completely buried the 3.

Have they not just replaced the old connector on the new iPad? The spec seems the same as the 3?

just something that popped up, as there were people who were very annoyed about it. There is not much difference between the 4 and the 3, besides the A6 Chip, and the camera. its still iOS 6 on it, so hardly that ground breaking

the fact that they released so soon after the 3, is something which is a bit odd, as Apple never really does this, unless they are strugglng to keep up with the competition.

im an Android guy, and will never switch to Apple as i just cant get over the fact, that the UI looks the same with every device that they release. I prefer a bit of flexibility in terms of the look and feel of my device, and being able to customise it the way i want it to look.

No one really should be, technology moves on.

True, but this is not normal for Apple to release a new device so soon after another one. Its unchartered territory for them. In fact, i cant remember, when Apple has released a product so soon, after another one.

Are they feeling the pressure? sure they are. iPad Mini,really? Steve Jobs hated the idea of 7 Inch Tablets, and didnt think there was a market for it. The Nexus 7, and the Kindle Fire's showed that to not be true, and that there is indeed one.

Are they feeling the pressure? sure they are. iPad Mini,really? Steve Jobs hated the idea of 7 Inch Tablets, and didnt think there was a market for it. The Nexus 7, and the Kindle Fire's showed that to not be true, and that there is indeed one.

I'd argue that comes down to a price point issue. The kindle fire is £129, even the iPad mini is more than double at £269 - there's no comparison with the full sized iPad.

I don't think Jobs wanted everyone to own one. There's something very exclusive (in every sense of the word) about Apple products.

doubt that is the case Stuart. Thats more perception that he didnt want everybody to own one. The amount of effort that they put behind their products, well, they would be delighted if everybody did own one. Its all about market share, and owning the industry, thus the battle between the various manufacturers. imo, it is price point as you said, which is preventing more people from owning one. If it had some of the specs that some other tablets have, along with its build and screen quality, then i would not mind the price point. However, Apple products are not very flexible imo, and its GUI is boring. In saying all that, again, i will admit, that its a beautiful bit of hardware, but the software side of things doesnt do it for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Having lost most of last evening and probably most of this "fixing" Jill's phone after I upgraded it from Eclair to Froyo, I know understand why I like Apple devices so much. The software just bloody works!

Sure her Android is much more configurable, but frankly I don't want to lose two entire evenings configuring it to be vaguely acceptable for her to use.

... and I don't really mind my third gen iPad has now been superseded, it still does it the things it did before he 4th gen was announced, just as well.

Having lost most of last evening and probably most of this "fixing" Jill's phone after I upgraded it from Eclair to Froyo, I know understand why I like Apple devices so much. The software just bloody works!

Hardly fair, that software is 3 years out of date! Never had a problem with Android at all, but then I entered Android at Gingerbread.

Oh and by "software", I assume you are excluding maps from that. :)

an iPad is a Tablet mate, and unless you have had an iPad 1(im guessing you didnt) then an iPad 2 would be just fine. In fact alot of people have not done the upgrade to 3, because there is just nothing really different. This applies to those who have the 3, as it is nothing different between that and the 4. Im android biased here, but i wouldnt suggest going for an iPad. However, its your decision ultimately, as you will be using the device. if cash is not an issue, then i would look at the Asus T700 Infinity, or the Galaxy Note 10.1 or The Nexus 7 or Nexus 10.

Good Luck

• 2 months later...

Archived