BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Henning Berg - Rovers Manager

Puffsan

They will have to pay someone's wages and staff now they've got rid of everyone and paid up their huge contracts.

But surely not Hughes and his staff? they've just been on massive wages at QPR.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes wont be able to command the sort of money he once could, that siad he wont be cheap, hopefully Venkys are realising you get what you pay for in football.

There's no way PL clubs will be rushing to get Hughes anymore. He's been sacked by a club at the bottom of the league and was widely percieved to have failed at City (though I think he did alright). His spell at Fulham has been forgotten too.

The best way for him to rebuild his reputation is to bring a Championship team up and we still have more money than most of the other teams in this division (partly due to the parachute payments). Whether he will want to work with our basket case owners is another issue.

Considering where we were when Venky's took over, it really is a remarkable feat what they have been able to do to this club since taking over. They might as well be throwing money away on the streets. Although I rated Berg highly as a player, I never thought he was qualified for the job at hand at Rovers - and thus I'm not too disappointed that he's going. But so much time has been wasted (again) by first spending ages to appoint someone underqualified, then sacking him after two months. This ship needs a steady hand now, a Big Sam or a Graeme Souness - a no nonsense type of manager who will not cop @#/? from Singh and guide us back to where we belong.

I really hope it's Derek Shaw's turn to choose manager now...

Spend that or lose £60m for not going up?

Don't go up next season and the money that Balaji has personally put up as equity will be in jeopardy.

Speculate to accumulate I think the phrase is. There's another one as well, @#/? or bust.

Spend that or lose £60m for not going up?

Don't go up next season and the money that Balaji has personally put up as equity will be in jeopardy.

Speculate to accumulate I think the phrase is. There's another one as well, @#/? or bust.

Can't disagree with what you're saying but we've been here before, they'll appoint someone cheap as always, and even if they appointed Jose we'd still not go up this season IMO.

There's no way PL clubs will be rushing to get Hughes anymore. He's been sacked by a club at the bottom of the league and was widely percieved to have failed at City (though I think he did alright). His spell at Fulham has been forgotten too.

The best way for him to rebuild his reputation is to bring a Championship team up and we still have more money than most of the other teams in this division (partly due to the parachute payments). Whether he will want to work with our basket case owners is another issue.

Yes you could be right, but I just cannot see Hughes coming back under these idiots.

Very strange that they can get rid of Berg after ten games in such a ruthless manner, but were willing to put up with Kean for almost 2 years, and even then they messed that one up. Just what hold did Kean have on them?

We can only hope they get it right this time.

Who will be picking the team against Barnsley if Black has gone? http://www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/black_out_of_blackburn_775204/index.shtml

Very strange that they can get rid of Berg after ten games in such a ruthless manner, but were willing to put up with Kean for almost 2 years, and even then they messed that one up. Just what hold did Kean have on them?

It makes you wonder doesn't it, they're idiots and the sooner they're run out of the club the better.

Ade Boothroyd of Northampton fits the bill. Knows the lower leagues, can manage on a shoestring and won't suffer any nonsense from under-performing players. Plays good, direct football too.

"direct football" Thats no bloody good here is it? Not when so many insist that we have to ponce about and play boring tippy tappy little triangles like Barcelona.

• 2 years later...
  • Backroom

For numerous reasons, the Rovers job was way above his station. He should have stuck to his principles when he said the summer before he'd never work for people like Venky's. It would have been difficult for any manager to succeed at this club around that time, let alone a manager with no experience outside of Norway.

Bowyer came in at the tail-end of that madness, once Shebby and Shaw had both played their hands and failed miserably. Shebby left, Shaw faded into the background and Bowyer was allowed to get on with the task of steadying the ship.

He didn't it seems. Bowyer steadying the ship that is.

That's a fallacy apparently.

Lets just say he had the job of steering the ship after the storm clouds had parted. He still had the sails intact and a rudder but was listing a little. He didn't so much steady the ship as keep it going in a straight line, and kept the lid on any mutiny buy rotating who got to swab the desks.

Bowyer was given the chance to steady the Ship by Jordan Rhodes whose 27 league goals in his 43 games in the 2012-13 Season directly kept us in the Championship. All the other players who played for Rovers that Season could only muster 28 goals between them. He's a lazy bugger that Rhodes :wacko:

This 'steadied the ship' business is getting over used. I'm sure I've trotted it out myself many times, so I'm as guilty as the next man. But my mind boggles that anyone wouldn't appreciate that under bowyer we returned (as far was actually possible) to being a normal football club. No court cases, nobody going rogue, no iffy contracts, no overpaid pensioners, no agents acting as public faces (faeces) for the club, no crazy Malaysian pundits with a tracksuit on, no bodyguard's and no bullshit. Yeah he did stagnate and the product wasn't good enough for promotion. But anyone who isn't happy that we moved away from all that garbage needed to have a look at themselves. Whether you call it steadying the ship or some other term, he did our club a favour. I appreciate he was paid well to do it, before someone points out the obvious. But there are many others who could have and would have come in, done the job badly and walked away with the pay off. Like it or not, he had the club at heart and did right by us.

End of rant.

This 'steadied the ship' business is getting over used. I'm sure I've trotted it out myself many times, so I'm as guilty as the next man. But my mind boggles that anyone wouldn't appreciate that under bowyer we returned (as far was actually possible) to being a normal football club. No court cases, nobody going rogue, no iffy contracts, no overpaid pensioners, no agents acting as public faces (faeces) for the club, no crazy Malaysian pundits with a tracksuit on, no bodyguard's and no bullshit. Yeah he did stagnate and the product wasn't good enough for promotion. But anyone who isn't happy that we moved away from all that garbage needed to have a look at themselves. Whether you call it steadying the ship or some other term, he did our club a favour. I appreciate he was paid well to do it, before someone points out the obvious. But there are many others who could have and would have come in, done the job badly and walked away with the pay off. Like it or not, he had the club at heart and did right by us.

End of rant.

None of that is down to the manager though. Bowyer had zero to do with any of that. Like it or not, it was Venkys who steadied the ship (that they rocked) by stopping doing the stupid things they did previously. If they'd wanted to, they could have carried on hiring idiots, agents and bodyguards and there's nothing Bowyer could have done about it, just the same as the previous managers. Bowyer managed the team and had a hand in revamping the Academy, he did a decent job for the first 18 months too. For that we should be grateful, but let's not get carried away.

Archived