BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Henning Berg - Rovers Manager

Puffsan

feels great not to have a scumbag in charge,

never thinking i hope we don't spawn a victory to keep the maggot in his job ever again.

Great appointment, not good to hate so many people at the club you support so a very good start now get Hendry out and just have the owners shut up and leave us be.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

feels great not to have a scumbag in charge,

never thinking i hope we don't spawn a victory to keep the maggot in his job ever again.

Great appointment, not good to hate so many people at the club you support so a very good start now get Hendry out and just have the owners shut up and leave us be.

Best post ever.

I think whatever Berg says in his press conference is going to indicate if he's a good appointment or not; especially considering his comments regarding the Venky's thus far...

We'll see if he's going to be his own man, coming for the right reasons to save a club he loves.

OR

We'll see a 'positive' Norwegian sort, looking towards his pay packet rather than principles.

I'm reserving judgement.

Question: has Shebby's master plan about appointing an ex-player to appease fans succeeded?

i dont share the infatuation about wanting an ex-player. If you make a list about the qualities a manager should have, then thats very low in the pecking order. With that said, its a manipulative move by shebby and the owners, but i dont mind that bit, as this can be seen as move by shebby and the owners to appease the fans and that must be a first. I can understand why others like the fact, that he is an ex-player and as such i see it as a decent move.

Like any other appointment though, he will and should only be judged by the results and not by some weird goodwill, just cause he was an ex player. Atleast imo.

I think whatever Berg says in his press conference is going to indicate if he's a good appointment or not; especially considering his comments regarding the Venky's thus far...

We'll see if he's going to be his own man, coming for the right reasons to save a club he loves.

OR

We'll see a 'positive' Norwegian sort, looking towards his pay packet rather than principles.

I'm reserving judgement.

You aren't expecting him to 'have a go' at his new employer on his first day are you?

Although this has little to do with his managerial ability, as a pundit he always came across as tactically adept, smart, and a good talker. Particularly his ability to analyse defensive play was head and shoulders above the rest.

He did well at Lyn, but was only able to do below average in a club in complete turmoil (lillestrøm).

+ He has experienced lots of success at Blackburn as a player winning two trophies, and helping the team promote from the championship(!)

+ 100 international caps

+ Has played under a few world class managers

+ He stands up for himself. Look at him vs Souness. Definitely not a yes-man.

+ Apparently a good coach, tactician and good with people (according to top top managers and ex-players in Norway)

+ Knows how to coach the back four

+ Has actually managed before

+ Structured and disciplined

- Mixed results at former clubs... But read context to make your own mind up

--------

I think a lot of Berg's future success depends on the backroom staff he brings in. He certainly has the name to draw in the staff he wants. Boils down to the owners as well...

No, but it will be interesting to see how he can justify saying "There are no real managers with credibility who would accept a job like that." then accepting that very job.

I bet he will be asked that very question many times over the next few weeks. I'm sure he will have thought of a diplomatic answer. I wonder if it was mentioned during the interview for the job?

I can't see Tugay touching us with a keany stick while Venkys are still here.

Did I hear he applied to work here under Kean? Was that on a podcast?

And is there a way to watch his press conference tomorrow live? I doubt it'd be on Sky Sports News....would it be on Rovers Player?

I highly doubt he'll slag off the owners.....he'll probably just say as a Rovers fan he was concerned about our situation but everyone is now making steps to rectify it.

i cant understand the infatuation about wanting an ex-player. If you make a list about the qualities a manager should have, then thats very low in the pecking order. With that said, its a manipulative move by shebby and the owners, but i dont mind that bit, as this can be seen as move by shebby and the owners to appease the fans and that must be a first. I can understand why others like the fact, that he is an ex-player and as such i see it as a decent move.

Like any other appointment though, he will and should only be judged by the results and not by some weird goodwill, just cause he was an ex player. Atleast imo.

It's a little bit of a reverse of the question "Would people be (as) happy with Berg as manager if he wasn't a former player?"

I was just curious as it appears, on the face of it, that Singh has gambled on him being a former player appeasing fans. Hence why I'm interested in a poll.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

7 May: "To take over as a manager in a club with owners like that is madness. There are no real managers with credibility who would accept a job like that. You might end up shooting yourself in the foot" – former Blackeye Rovers defender Henning Berg offers his verdict on the Ewood Park hot seat.

31 October: "This is fantastic news for Norwegian football that we get another coach in England" – Aalesunds FK coach Kjetil Rekdal on the news of Berg's imminent appointment … at Blackeye Rovers.

What has Rekdal's comments to do with anything?

Alexanders, for context. The Fiver is a very cynical daily look into the world of predominantly English football. It prides itself on highlighting hypocracy within football. It's a good read. Sign up for it.

Here is an older one for you;

QUOTE OF THE DAY

1 October: "I have no immediate intention to relieve anybody of their duties" – Bournemouth chairman Eddie Mitchell gives his backing to manager Paul Groves and assistant Shaun Brooks.

3 October: Relieves Groves and Brooks of their duties. "I believe that luck has not been on their side during their short period at the helm," parps Mitchell.

If it was me taking over, my starting point would be, speak to the players as a group, tell them what I wanted, take a training session and then speak to most of the senior staff individually in a no punches pulled meeting, get the feel and mood of the camp first, you would soon find the real issues and issues which can be easily erased.

But to start having a go at your bosses at the first presser would be foolhardy and in my opinion, he will state the positives of being in a challenging position, his feelings for the club and the importance of uniting supporters, players and management!

There will be little more said in my opinion, yes, the question will be asked regarding previous comments, I expect this will be put aside and that discussions prior to accepting the position clarified that Berg would have control of the footballing side/selections etc!!

what ??? if that happens .....shebby is king !!!

i know it pisses some guys off but i gotta say ...

Shebby is king?

If you knew the half of what gone on over the past two days you would be stunned.

100% Behind Henning Berg, just glad the charade is over.

Congratulations must be given to Lie_still_Rover, Sep 28 2012 19:59 PM who stated in the VERY FIRST POST IN NEW MANGER 1

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................

"in my opinion there is two options, experience or a club legend"

Sherwood, shearer, Berg

Benitez, Curbishley, Souness, Hughes (must be on a knife edge.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Not only did he get right that berg was a viable option, but it also sounded very close to the Shebby i think there are 3 types of candidate speech-we could have saved ourselves a lot of typing if we had accepted this post :) Well done!!! Now lets get behind 'Henning Berg's Blue and White Army' :)

I bet he will be asked that very question many times over the next few weeks. I'm sure he will have thought of a diplomatic answer. I wonder if it was mentioned during the interview for the job?

Without doubt, but I suppose Shebby could understand being an 'out-spoken' (egotistical) ex-pundit.

I just hope the Henning Berg that turns up is the same chap that played for us and driven by the right motives to take us forward.

Archived