BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Birmingham Preview

Did you even watch today's game or just being your usual pissy self?

Formica played well today.

No ! and that bull s...

Formica is never good enough unless you want us to be playing championship football week in, week out, but then you are just a kid Topman.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's game was my first trip to Ewood this season. Really glad I went.

What we all need to remember is that this team is very much a work in progress. But there are lots of positive signs and I'm confident that Berg will be able to get what we all want out of this bunch of players.

What I noticed today (that has been lacking in the last two years under our old dogsh!t manager) was a genuine team spirit, effort, hunger, sensible tactics and a crowd that was fully behind the team. The only thing missing was a winning goal.

This is a new beginning for Rovers after two absolutely horrific seasons. The scars are deep and certainly won't heal overnight. But I reckon Berg has done more for Rovers in little over a week than our previous 'manager' did during his entire ill-fated reign.

Who knows where we'll be at the end of the season. But I'm excited by the journey that lies ahead.

Did you even watch today's game or just being your usual pissy self?

Formica played well today.

Got to agree with this. Mauro had his head screwed on the right way today and, for the first time in longer than I can remember, actually made a meaningful impact. Hope he maintains today's form.

Personally, I thought Murphy, Formica and Vukcevic stood out today. Whilst there is no doubting that Rochina has potential he is let down by his inconsistency and poor decision making. Hopefully Berg will be able to work on him and improve certain aspects of his game. The real class act walked on the pitch at half-time - 'Dougie' - the greatest player I have ever seen in Blue & White. Tugay came close, Shearer was a prolific goalscorer, Clayton a fantastic captain, inspirational leader and superb in defence and midfield but there was only one 'Dougie'. A class act in every way and a true Rovers Icon.

Thanks, Topman. I've just checked it out on Wiki and I stand to be corrected.

His name is Marcus

I believe that Markus is the correct spelling no matter what Wiki might have. I have been told that Markus is the correct spelling by people at the club and that is why the programme, website, teamsheets and all official club documentation use that spelling.

Been out most of the night but I will say this, if Kean has said what was reported, that Simon was crap, then it is confirmed kean knew sod all about football, for me, he was the most cultured and professional on the park, he had everything to his game, vision, decision making, creativity, first touch, delivery and positional play, amazing footballer never to be used by Kean!! Gobsmacked, something totally wrong there!

"Kean's face never fit at Ewood Park..." (implying Kean never got a chance)

"Berg has fans onside from the start..." (implying Kean didn't)

Never fails to irritate me that the media still peddle this sh*te.

Only the second time I've watched that show, usually out on a Saturday, but my god its absolutely dreadful, so are the presenters clothes. Makes MOTD look good and that's saying something.

Rev, I have to disagree with you regarding Rochina. Too many misplaced passes. Start of the second half was a prime example, we'd kept the ball for about 15 passes and ruben tried a ridiculous cross field pass and smashed the ball straight out of play!

Simon did far more when he came on.

While I agree he is not the finished article some of his through balls to the left were excellent, he over hit a few crosses. How can you cite only one bad thing there was a lot of positive also.

• Backroom

His example does highlight the negative side to his game though, if its the time I'm thinking of he played a 60 yard pass backwards from the right wing out to our left back, its a daft pass even if you pull it off

Hopefully players around him tune into his wavelength re: his forward passing though as sometimes he plays a worldie pass which people just don't read, Eyal Berkovic had the same issues with players around him not quick enough to react

I thought early on we were immense. We passed really well and looked very sharp. We lost a bit after the Brum goal which again to me was calamitous defending, Dann again gifting the opposition.

Too often in the second half I thought we played too much through the middle and Brum were just too solid we did not make enough use of the width of the park. Couple of subs and that all changed, when was the last time I could have said that. The young lad from Portugal was inspiring and he he can continue in that vein we have a bona fide star in the making, Simon was total class, the back heel going into the box, too bad no one followed him forward and Rochina was good but still has big rough spots. Still, could these be our new "three crown jewels". Finally finally I am again excited by our team and feeling pretty confident, albeit reservedly so. Berg so far 8 out of 10.

His example does highlight the negative side to his game though, if its the time I'm thinking of he played a 60 yard pass backwards from the right wing out to our left back, its a daft pass even if you pull it off

Hopefully players around him tune into his wavelength re: his forward passing though as sometimes he plays a worldie pass which people just don't read, Eyal Berkovic had the same issues with players around him not quick enough to react

Once they've played a few more games with him the other players should have a better feel as to what he's going to come up with. They're not quite on his wavelength yet, he sees openings and passes the other players can't at the moment.

Who played the ball out to the left in the first half that was deemed offside then we put the ball in the net. Was that Rochina or someone else? Like Booth said I thought that was a perfectly timed ball which the lino got completely wrong.

Did they show it on the highlights?

Been out most of the night but I will say this, if Kean has said what was reported, that Simon was crap, then it is confirmed kean knew sod all about football, for me, he was the most cultured and professional on the park, he had everything to his game, vision, decision making, creativity, first touch, delivery and positional play, amazing footballer never to be used by Kean!! Gobsmacked, something totally wrong there!

Kelbo the bog role paper I use probably has more brains than Numb Nuts! am not surprised by this at all the clown should be hanged and certified on top of darwen tower for damage he has done

I thought early on we were immense. We passed really well and looked very sharp. We lost a bit after the Brum goal which again to me was calamitous defending, Dann again gifting the opposition.

Too often in the second half I thought we played too much through the middle and Brum were just too solid we did not make enough use of the width of the park. Couple of subs and that all changed, when was the last time I could have said that. The young lad from Portugal was inspiring and he he can continue in that vein we have a bona fide star in the making, Simon was total class, the back heel going into the box, too bad no one followed him forward and Rochina was good but still has big rough spots. Still, could these be our new "three crown jewels". Finally finally I am again excited by our team and feeling pretty confident, albeit reservedly so. Berg so far 8 out of 10.

Totally agree Dann is a liability at this level we really need to shift him & Orr out and bring in one good CB and promote Nuno Henrique to the bench.

SIMON WATCH:

60 On for Rochina. Says his prayers diligently!

62 First touch – simple lay-off sideways to Murphy. Another to Olsson.

63 Beautiful defence splitting ball from DM to Simon in the box. Offside! Very tight.

64 Receives from Dann halfway in our box, lays it off sideways and before you know it he is in the box waiting for Olsson’s cross. He takes resulting corner. Not great but Etuhu gets a shot in.

66 Chases another through ball from DM into the box but too long. Excited the crowd though! Another ball from DM. Excellent touch and shimmy before releasing Olsson who crosses.

69 Not touched the ball for a while but he’s always coming towards the play, providing an option. Oh! Here he goes again – calling for the ball in our half. Lovely receive and flick to leave defender for dead. Surges forward and lays sideways to Formica - not the best pass but Formica gets in a great shot which is tipped over.

71 Back in defence. Accurate long pass to Rhodes.

73 Neat triangle with Nunes. As he runs towards goal line he backflicks the ball into the box but no one is there.

77 Quick touch in defence. Quick touch in attack.

79 Takes corner. Not great…………..weak header from Dann.

82 Collects cleared City corner and surges forward. Releases Nunes with a well-timed pass. Nunes carries on a gets in a good shot.

84 Takes free kick from half way. Collects clearance and bamboozles defender to the joy of the crowd. Whips in a cracking ball behind the defence. On-rushing Dann just fails to connect.

86 Nods on a long ball to Rhodes. Confidently receives the ball and earns space with a neat pull-back and releases sideways.

89 Receives with back to goal – holds off a determined defender expertly and releases sideways.

90 Loops an accurate pass over the defence to Nunes in the box. Offside.

91 Receives ball midway in own half. He looks every whichway as it travels towards him – assessing the options. He gathers and storms forwards but draws 3 defenders and is dis-possessed.

Yes, I know. I need to get a life!

I am extremely impressed with this guy. He is a class above what we have. I was excited about Rochina getting game time but Simon is the real deal already!

What the hell has been going on – why hasn’t he been playing? Unbelieveable!

Watched the game on Internet stream for the first time in a long time. Pleased with the performance but gutted with the result. Still alot of work to be done but at least we are making some progress.

Robinson - Did reasonably well. A couple of good save including a long-range save (the ball bounces just before him), which he normally will let in.

Martin Olsson - Showed his younger brother how to get forward and crossed a few times. Decent display.

Hanley/Dann - Scary pairing. Totally uncomfortable watching both of them. Hanley, i think was the one who was slow to react or rather ball-watching, when the ball bounces off the goalpost, which King reacted faster to slot it home.

Henley - Seems very comfortable on the ball. Looks promising on at right back.

Marcus Olsson - Bad miss late in the first half, crossing was average. Nunes was more dangerous than him.

Etuhu - Average game, seems to stick to his game of getting back the ball and passing it to Murphy. Wish he can get forward more.

Murphy - Slightly better display by him. Was taken off probably due to him be sick before the game.

Formica - Did well to earn the penalty, otherwise decent performance.

Rochina - Seems to be the one trying to make things happen, still abit of passes gone astray. But looks stronger now, able to fend of defenders. Penalty was cool but shouldnt attempt this too often. I still prefer takers to blast it into the net.

Rhodes - Too often isolated, but did try to get a shot in whenever he could. Berg need to find a way to supply him with crosses or passes into the box.

Vukcevic - Looked good and fit when he came on. Seems to be a class above the rest. More of him please!

Nunes - Again looked better than Marcus when he came on. Promising lad.

Lowe - Too little time to impress. Captain? Hmm....

So many good teams play with four attacking players plus one on-and-off attacking FB. You need two players that basically defend in midfield. These are Etuhu and Formica/Lowe. Murphy is attacking: a playmaker. Then Rhodes and Rochina with one of Vukcevic and Nunes. This a terrific attack. The weakness more the CBs (not Givet), Martin O's defending. Robinson well overweight and does not now have athleticism of a good keeper.

I presume Rhodes is bad at them in training as nobody wants him to have them

Murphy should be the taker IMO

Agreed.....Murphy should take all our set pieces imo....wasn't impressed with Rochina's corners yesterday....,they need to be drilled in.

There has been an improvement both on and off the feild with Berg in charge but lets be brutally honest..does anyone think this side is good enough to stay in the Prem if we are promoted?

It would need a MASSIVE overhaul costing 10's of Millions to buy the quality we would need.

Its quite frightening.

Southampton, Reading, QPR, Norwich etc....there's always at least 3 shocking teams.....just need to be a little better than them....it's definitely possible.

Once they've played a few more games with him the other players should have a better feel as to what he's going to come up with. They're not quite on his wavelength yet, he sees openings and passes the other players can't at the moment.

Who played the ball out to the left in the first half that was deemed offside then we put the ball in the net. Was that Rochina or someone else? Like Booth said I thought that was a perfectly timed ball which the lino got completely wrong.

Did they show it on the highlights?

Yea it was Rochina but Marcus was probably offside.....he also played that delightful chip over the defence but Marcus was offside again....I don't know who the intended recipient was....maybe Rhodes, but it would have been class if it came to them....some of his passes were quality... particularly out to the left wing.

Rochina has amazing ability, he just needs to learn.....but if there was a player with his ability with a proper football brain then there would be very little chance of them playing in the Championship.....I don't like to make this point, because it's not like really good players don't play for us, but sometimes I think a little perspective is needed...for example calling Yakubu lazy.....a mobile and energetic Yakubu would be playing in the Champions League.

Impressed with Henley again...his composure is quality....Murphy showed what he can be capable of....yet still not near his Fulham form which I suspect will come eventually.

Vukcevic has serious talent.....that ball across the box that Dann almost got on the end of was class.....every time he got the ball, I knew he would create something.....he's probably just not match-fit yet.....he would be one of the first names on my team sheet.

We had 4 players - Rochina, Murphy, Formica, Vukcevic, who were playing really good balls through the defence but as Rhodes was being marked by the whole of the City of Birmingham, it meant often we were relying on Olsson or Nunes to be good in the box - which they aren't. Hence we had good build up and created chances but then nothing on the end of them.

The squad imbalance really showed in the 2nd half when Rochina, Formica and Murphy were all playing around the central area and no-one was playing on the right. We really needed Leon Best to offer something different and challenge them with 2 Strikers in the box.

The squad has some excellent players but is imbalanced which is why we have these contradictory performances.Swap Marcus Olsson with Chris Burke from their side and we would have won 2-0 or 3-0. Credit to Birmingham City though - I thought they defended well with lots of last ditch defending and looked very well organised.

What I would note was that it felt like watching Mark Hughes's Rovers, short passing game with lots of energy. The team is on the right track and if Venkys can hold their nerve then we will get promoted within 2 seasons.

Fair comment , where the hell as he been ?

Been saying this for the last 18 months...Ashley Cole will concur on this.

many board members have been saying otherwise .

Can't wait to see Simon when he's had a few games and is match fit. He looks a class above anyone else we have. Ridiculous how we manage to have a squad where we could pick any 2 from about 10 in wide midfield and yet only have 1 striker and 3 centre backs.

Archived