BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Sorry my point didn't 'stretch' you, I'll try harder next time.

You're championing Tyson Furry a few pages back? And you appreciate the sport at all levels?

Not heavyweight obviously....

I've no finite proof who's going to be the next big draw nationwide, catching the nation's mood and interest.

In talking about some of the more well known boxers manoeuvring into position you stated 'I had missed your point'. :)

If you want me to guess I'd say Joshua and Brook as clear favourites. Warrington might ignite Leeds, they can take 15,000 anywhere. Can't see Khan even if beating Brook enthusing one and all. Fury or Billy Joe?

Why the niggle about Fury? Not a particularly savoury character at times, but what do you expect, he's a fighter. If you think he's crap, fair enough, you are more than entitled to hold that view.

If Fury wasn't such a dick I might find him entertaining but man I've never wanted to see someone knocked out so badly. Sky and everyone else are all over him but he's just a comedy act enjoying his 5 mins. On achievements he's no right to be in the ring with Klitschko yet but the division is so sparse of challengers he's there already.

If he pulls it off then fair play to him but it's a travesty for boxing if a goon like him ends up with 4 world title belts.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

If Fury wasn't such a dick I might find him entertaining but man I've never wanted to see someone knocked out so badly. Sky and everyone else are all over him but he's just a comedy act enjoying his 5 mins. On achievements he's no right to be in the ring with Klitschko yet but the division is so sparse of challengers he's there already.

If he pulls it off then fair play to him but it's a travesty for boxing if a goon like him ends up with 4 world title belts.

I've already been told off for my limited knowledge in supporting Fury. Oh well, such is life.

Ranked in the world top ten since 2010. Five years to get a title shot while Klitchko dodged him. Two years being messed about by David Haye running away. Genuine record unlike some. In his 2nd fight he fought a guy with 20 knockouts in 21 wins. In his 8th and 11th fight fought Mcdermott in two tremendous uk battles. Battered everyone else they've put in front of him. But I'm meant to believe he's useless as I've been told on here.

Tomphil if you've ever got a couple of hours free watch the Jack Johnson story in black and white. What a character! What a boxer. Way before his time.

I've already been told off for my limited knowledge in supporting Fury. Oh well, such is life.

Ranked in the world top ten since 2010. Five years to get a title shot while Klitchko dodged him. Two years being messed about by David Haye running away. Genuine record unlike some. In his 2nd fight he fought a guy with 20 knockouts in 21 wins. In his 8th and 11th fight fought Mcdermott in two tremendous uk battles. Battered everyone else they've put in front of him. But I'm meant to believe he's useless as I've been told on here.

Tomphil if you've ever got a couple of hours free watch the Jack Johnson story in black and white. What a character! What a boxer. Way before his time.

All about opinions pal :)

Anyway it's off now and I do feel for the guy on that score. I'll stick to my guns though and say it's all about timing. Even just on the British scene ten or fifteen years ago he'd have struggled to shine imo.

I'll watch that when I get chance, read a few bits about him and yes he was certainly a pioneer and a 'lad' even before being a 'lad' was even thought of. Such unbelievable characters some boxers are, all adds to the interest for me.

All about opinions pal :)

Anyway it's off now and I do feel for the guy on that score. I'll stick to my guns though and say it's all about timing. Even just on the British scene ten or fifteen years ago he'd have struggled to shine imo.

I'll watch that when I get chance, read a few bits about him and yes he was certainly a pioneer and a 'lad' even before being a 'lad' was even thought of. Such unbelievable characters some boxers are, all adds to the interest for me.

Yeah a calf injury.

I wouldn't want to fight someone taller, heavier, younger with a longer reach either. Especially with a poorly calf.

You'll love the JJ story that's why I mentioned it. Cavorting with white women as heavyweight champion in the USA in 1910. Amazed he didn't get lynched, although the establishment won in the end. Lost his title in a 45 round bout!

Edited by onlyonejackwalker

More likely ticket sales are the reason. If it's just postponed a month then I think that tells the story. If Wlad tries to wriggle out of it then you might be right although I doubt it.

I'd like to see Fury fight Wilder and I'd probably support him on that one, just before AJ comes along and spanks the lot !

There seems to be a good few pretty knowledgeable boxing connoisseurs on here. I do love the boxing, but don't get chance to watch half as much I'd like to. Has Eubank Jr's hype died the death now, or is that still bubbling along? I've watched a couple of his fights and he look decent, but it seems to have gone cold. Have I missed something, or has he just not fought in a while? His dad was one of the best boxers I've ever seen. An absolute tit, but a hell of a boxer.

Tyson must be, err, furious after the messing about he got from Haye. He's a bit of a gobshoite, but a decent enough boxer. Heavyweight division doesn't seem to be anywhere as competitive as it has been in the past. I grew up watching Tyson, Lewis, Moorer, Buster Douglas, Holyfield, ect. He's not a patch on any of them, but does deserve a crack at it, even if it's just to shut him up if he gets put on his arse ala Prince Nas. Personally, I don't think he will though. I think he'll do it and keep it for a good while, when he eventually gets his chance.

Eubank junior lost on points to Billy Joe Saunders. Took the wind out of his sails.

All anyone can say at this time about Fury is that he is a very big unit who remains undefeated. I'm interested to see just how good he is.

Edited by onlyonejackwalker

There seems to be a good few pretty knowledgeable boxing connoisseurs on here. I do love the boxing, but don't get chance to watch half as much I'd like to. Has Eubank Jr's hype died the death now, or is that still bubbling along? I've watched a couple of his fights and he look decent, but it seems to have gone cold. Have I missed something, or has he just not fought in a while? His dad was one of the best boxers I've ever seen. An absolute tit, but a hell of a boxer.

Tyson must be, err, furious after the messing about he got from Haye. He's a bit of a gobshoite, but a decent enough boxer. Heavyweight division doesn't seem to be anywhere as competitive as it has been in the past. I grew up watching Tyson, Lewis, Moorer, Buster Douglas, Holyfield, ect. He's not a patch on any of them, but does deserve a crack at it, even if it's just to shut him up if he gets put on his arse ala Prince Nas. Personally, I don't think he will though. I think he'll do it and keep it for a good while, when he eventually gets his chance.

Eubank Jnr has just signed with Eddie Hearn and Adam Booth (formerly of Haye and Groves when he was looking decent) is now in his corner I think so expect his career to finally get going in the right direction. Best thing he can do though is get senior out of his corner.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone watch the Chocolatito - Viloria fight from last weekend? Fantastic performance.

Not seen it yet so hope to catch up on it this weekend.

The Smith v Fielding fight could be an interesting one, can't see past Smith myself but may be a tough one for him.

Not seen it yet so hope to catch up on it this weekend.

The Smith v Fielding fight could be an interesting one, can't see past Smith myself but may be a tough one for him.

Did you end up watching it? Absolute relentless pressure, great to watch.

I'm with you on Smith too, will be a close fight but I think he edges it.

There's talk of Ward/Kovalev in the future, what with his next fight being at light heavyweight and all. Wouldn't mind that fight at all. Hopefully Sergey can catch him flush a few times, big if though, when it comes to laying the leather on Ward.

• Like 1

Yeah watched it on Youtube tonight and yes cracking fight, glad you mentioned it on here because it had slipped under my radar. Don't usually bother too much with the tiny weights but Gonzalez is a beast, touch of the Durans about him imo. Record almost like Mayweather but barely gets a mention over here, if he was a Yank all the world would be raving about him.

Would like to see Ward / Kov although Ward is a bit awkward to watch at times but fair play if he wants this fight. Having said that though he's a crafty one when it comes to picking his fights and he'd never go into it if he wasn't sure, he won't be going in to trade I know that much :lol:

Quigg v Frampton now done and dusted and that's another potential cracker. Although a good fighter I thought Frampton might be a bit of a hype job but after going out of his comfort zone and winning that fight after being under serious pressure I now believe he's the real deal.

Strangely though I fancy Quigg in this, naturally bigger and a big puncher.

Froch talking about coming back to fight DeGale, if DeGale manages to beat Bute which certainly isn't a given.

Must admit to being a big Froch fan, took a bit of time to get me onside, but he's a throwback, a crowd pleaser and if he's still got that desire then people will pay to watch him.

• Like 2

Also a big fan of Froch, more so the fighter than the guy but he is full of contradictions. In the paper today saying he's telling his good mate Haye not to come back as he's been out too long. In Mens fitness mag saying he's staying in good shape just in case but it would take a promoter with a really interesting fight at light heavy for him even to consider it. Then Jonny Nelson doing a Q&A on twitter last night said Froch would have gone for Groves again if he'd have won the title but other than that no chance he'll come back.

Personally I think he'll have another fight in the new year I think the pull is too strong for him to resist and he knows there is still gas in the tank.

Edited by tomphil

Must admit I'm the total opposite to you Gav in that I used to be a big Froch fan but in recent years have started to dislike him. Went to the Bute fight and was delighted when he won, but since that point he has come across very arrogant. He also contradicts himself all the time - I think he just says the first sentence that springs to mind - like Robbie Savage. Also he needs to stop calling himself a "warrior". Let everyone else do that.

What can't be argued though is that he had a brilliant career - took on all comers (his run from Pascal through to Bute was sick), and made the absolute maximum of his skills. I've probably watched Froch/Groves 1 about 20 times and it's incredible how well he recovered from the knockdown. Guy must have been fighting with a concussion.

Smith/Fielding on Saturday night was certainly a spectacle! Saw Callum winning but not in such style.

Really happy that Frampton/Quigg is signed - I fancy Frampton to make Quigg look a little silly.

What we need now is for Khan and Brook to stop fannying around and sign a deal. Khan is probably one defeat away from losing his status as a draw, and I'm yet to understand where Kell fits at world level.

Fury is just a joke, no good for the sport in my opinion.

Yes he's got to sell the fight but the guys a clown, shouldn't be in the same city as Klitchko never mind the same ring. Shows just how poor the division is.

Let's hope Joshua takes his time and doesn't get careless or greedy, he's got great potential and could go all the way.

• Like 2