BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

• Moderation Lead

Some good fights last night, the end of the first round with Joshua and Whyte was a bit ghetto but entertaining!

Eubank Jr looks promising at times, but he needs to stop trying to emulate his dad so much imo. In the same way, Eubank needs to give his lad some room! After the fight I thought it was a bit embarrassing how he tried to hog the camera.

• Like 1

He's not ready for Fury yet, yes he could nail him but he needs another one or two like last night to proper rough him up. I'd put him in with Chisora and then some big gangly awkward opponent from Europe before he gets to the pikey, or maybe even Wilder.

I'd try and get that Whyte in with Fury I reckon he'd cause him problems, styles make fights and all that.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Didn't see the boxing last night as I was at a 21st. I just can't warm to Joshua. Can't quite put my finger on just why at the moment though, was hoping for a Whyte victory.

I'm a fan of combat sports in general so I'm a fan of the (pseudo) sport of MMA. I know it's not for everyone as the grappling aspect doesn't always grab people (no pun intended). I get it's not for everyone, but there are some fighters with great stand up skills in MMA. Obviously they generally won't really ever get to the same level skill wise as a boxer, they have multiple other disciplines to train and devote time to. You get fighters with tight technique, you get some with sloppy technique. I've seen some K-1 fights with some sloppy combos and MMA with great combos, and vice versa.

Not that I watch UFC, but did the guy not just trip, and McGregor punched his face while down? Yeah, AMAZING victory. I've seen more credible wins in WWE.

No he lunged and got caught with a left hook but basically UFC strikes me as street fighting only by extremely fit and quick guys obviously. MMA I can handle as the title suggests there is a lot more to it.

Like I said though each to their own I don't watch it enough to form a big opinion really. That's why I love boxing really, you can have 2 guys who if they went into the street one would smash the other up and down but put gloves on them in a ring and following the rules of boxing the other would win nine times out of ten.

Only me that thinks that Aldo fellow took a dive then? Can't quite justify how any professional fighter can get a lunging jab so wrong, especially after not losing in 10(?) years. Surely that's like a footballer being able to kick a football? Not an MMA fan, but looks dodgy as sin to me.

He let Mcgregor get in his head and went to blitz him early. Aldo has always had cardio issues throughout his career, so probably thought the best way was to go all out early to not let Conor find his rhythm. That coupled with the fact he has a tough weight cut to make featherweight (there's been talk of him moving to lightweight permanently for years) could have been a factor. Aldo threw a lot into that and Conor just hit the sweet spot at the perfect time, don't think that would happen again if they fought another 100 times.

His approach did surprise me, I was expecting Aldo to leg kick him into oblivion.

• 2 weeks later...

Saunders v Lee didn't quite develop into the firecracker it could have but a decent fight nevertheless. Not keen on Saunders for some reason and it's getting annoying now how any boxer with Irish heritage seems to automatically come from the travelling community but he is developing into a real good fighter. Still think it's way out of his league to be taking on the likes of Cotto or Canelo over in Vegas though.

• Like 1

It is a great period for British boxing. But I get the impression Eddie hearn is very good at his job and a lot of these fighters would really come undone on the world stage. We seem to be producing a few very slick fighters who really look the part. Kell brook is a great example. I watch him and always think he looks very good. But after the event his opponent doesn't look bruised and battered like he's just taken a good hiding. It makes me wonder when push comes to shove if these guys have got the power to really trouble the elite.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is a great period for British boxing. But I get the impression Eddie hearn is very good at his job and a lot of these fighters would really come undone on the world stage. We seem to be producing a few very slick fighters who really look the part. Kell brook is a great example. I watch him and always think he looks very good. But after the event his opponent doesn't look bruised and battered like he's just taken a good hiding. It makes me wonder when push comes to shove if these guys have got the power to really trouble the elite.

Think that's one of the problems caused by there being the 4 world championship belts. We have 12 world champions in Britain just now, and I think realistically maybe 2 or 3 of them at the most could be considered as being genuine elite level fighters who would give the best in their division a real fight.

Think all the world champs are great for British boxing and encouraging kids to get in to the sport, but at the same it's frustrating from a fan's point of view as all the belts and politics prevents the fights from being made that everyone wants to see, which is a big shame.

Going back to Roy Jones jnr it's now come out that he's been chased by debt collectors for years and he owes large amounts in US taxes. No wonder he's skipped countries and got cosy with the Russian mafia. Don't expect him to stop fighting anytime soon, all very sad and in years to come it won't have a happy ending.

http://www.boxingscene.com/roy-jones-jr-financial-issues-explained-by-promoter--99885

To me that sounds like his Russian promoter has played a blinder. He's came in and guaranteed his $3 million debt, which will have x amount of fight deals attached to it no doubt.

Jones is happy because he has been relieved of the debt, and probably getting a pay out for each fight on top of that too. The agent is happy with take Jones to Russia and has even managed to get Putin to give him citizenship.

America will probably be he biggest loser, good luck getting the $3 million from Jones' Russian promoter.

Edited by GingerSnaps
  • Like 1

I suppose he still has enough about him to knockout a few bums but who wants to watch that especially after he was so brutally exposed last time out as being the finished top level fighter he is. Crazy choice of opponent last time but they probably had to get some kind of name in to make it financially viable.

That promoter guy can wave goodbye to his investment I think. Maybe they could get Eubank, Benn or Collins out of retirement and in with him next :blink:

If I was Roy I'd go back to the US and do a couple of years in jail it'll be less painful than getting battered another 5 times. Not only that but owing US taxes is one thing but owing the Russians......... :o

• Like 1

I suppose he still has enough about him to knockout a few bums but who wants to watch that especially after he was so brutally exposed last time out as being the finished top level fighter he is. Crazy choice of opponent last time but they probably had to get some kind of name in to make it financially viable.

That promoter guy can wave goodbye to his investment I think. Maybe they could get Eubank, Benn or Collins out of retirement and in with him next :blink:

If I was Roy I'd go back to the US and do a couple of years in jail it'll be less painful than getting battered another 5 times. Not only that but owing US taxes is one thing but owing the Russians......... :o

Funny you should mention that as my mate knows a bloke that is getting training partners together for Collins. Apparently they are trying to arrange a mini 3 way tournament with Benn and Eubank Sr, daft old buggers. Just got told this yesterday. He also said the shape Collins is in, he would lose every time.

Funny you should mention that as my mate knows a bloke that is getting training partners together for Collins. Apparently they are trying to arrange a mini 3 way tournament with Benn and Eubank Sr, daft old buggers. Just got told this yesterday. He also said the shape Collins is in, he would lose every time.

He was wittering about a comeback a few years ago and called Jones out in all seriousness on that Sky round the table thing they were all on. He then went and fought an old adversary Neville Brown in a charity exhibition thing and told everyone it was preparation for Jones jnr.....he lost.

It is daft they are seriously talking about getting it on again, they've left it a bit late but they are maybe all getting a bit skint by now. If they did Benn would smash em I think judging by recent the clips of him on youtube. People would probably watch as well B)

Edited by tomphil