BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Nice to see Haye back and Wilder continues to knock out everyone. Heavyweight division looks a bit interesting again even though some of them are imposters compared to the previous generation. Some good fights could be made now at least, especially with Fury winding everyone up being the drunken tit that he is.

I can't help but like Fury these days, what do we want, a bunch of robots all repeating the same old clichés etc? That's what's the heavyweight division has been like the last 10+ years, a period which many people were wanting something different. He's a character, sets tongues wagging and he calls a spade a spade. He's obviously not everyone's cup of tea which is fair enough but he's got people talking at least.

Two world heavyweight champions in a confrontation giving each other verbal live on TV? Great stuff imo.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Maybe it's just me, I agree the heavyweight division needs to be more interesting, but I just don't think it's the way a heavyweight should conduct themselves. They should be doing their talking in the ring for me.

Can't take away his achievement of beating an over the hill Klitschko but Fury is more known for his mouth and his antics than his fights.

If you look at AJ then look at Fury at the same stages you didn't see him destroying people like Joshua does. Then you look at Haye who's flattened one or two names in spectacular fashion before he stopped last time. Again you look at Fury and most of his wins are pretty laboured. He is a decent fighter who may well get better but his main advantage for me is just his sheer size rather than skill although I'd never question his bottle.

Still hasn't taken a shot of a proper heavyweight yet and a lot of boxing fans remain to be convinced by him. He seems to appeal more to the general public with a passing interest. A promoters dream I suppose.

Edited by tomphil

• 2 weeks later...

He's been sending hints out for a while and the way he's been working out suggested something might be in his mind. Crazy stuff that will only end in tears although if he's skint it's the ticket to some quick money I suppose.

I wish it was Tyson though do note he's calmed down. What a box office draw he was and boxing should be about trash talk and controversy its been that way since the 60's. Its funny how people get so morally outraged by things like the Haye/Chisora brawl. Boxers in bad role model shock what's the world coming to lol! I was more annoyed by their handshake afterwards and felt manipulated.

Would have more interest in UFC if there were more grudge matches and personalities like Tyson. Dana White seems to have strict control in comparison to boxing though he's certainly not shy of a little trash talk himself.

Bruno will have a problem getting licensed so maybe he needs to put in a call to Luxembourg...

Edited by VinjayV4

Fortunately they seem to have refused Big Franks intention of renewing his license. It's mad how fighters lives are often such a mess outside the ring that the only place they feel safe and secure is actually in it. Tyson on the other hand is best off staying away from the ring as he's finally got his life in order.

Injury to his eye meant Brunos career was over 20 years ago,Tyson on the other hand knew he had nothing left after keeping going into his late 30's and losing to a couple of bums because he was just fighting for money. There were so many opportunities though for someone like Bruno after being so popular but his mental health has sadly been his hardest fight. He's almost Boxings version of Gazza without the drink, proves depression can get the better of the hardest of men at times.

I've often thought though that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a veterans version of the Heavyweight crown. That many of them going on a long time at that weight and some are still quite good. Have strict rules and age limit for it and fight it over 5 rounds or something. A lot of other sports have veteran catagories.

Khan v Canello in Vegas is on, fair play to him for that.

Yup. Shuts a few up who say he's scared.

The glass chin stuffs being peddled everywhere as well. He was meant to lose to Maidana. And Alexander. Every fight he's ever had people predict hes getting sparked out. He's not favourite, but I wish him well.

I think he's trying to smoke Mayweather out. Either way the Brook fight is still big.

It's a win-win for Khan really. If he loses the fight, he can still come crawling back to England for the Brook stadium fight and take down millions in the process.

If he wins then he can pretty much fight whoever he wants. If he chooses Brook then he'll probably want a 95/5 purse in his favour or something obscene like that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead

Thought David Price was definitely done after last time. My girlfriend's brother is friends with some of the family (they live in Clayton-Le-Moors) so he's been to loads of the fights. Even he didn't think he'd come back from the last couple of defeats! 'Head's gone' as it were....

Edited by K-Hod

Well it seems it's driven by the fact that his previous defeats were at the hands of two opponents who failed drugs tests. Fair enough he feels wronged but the last knock out was a bad one and he'd only just got his confidence back to let his hands go after the other defeat. I like Price he comes across as a real decent guy but I don't think he should be anywhere near world level.

He might prove me wrong but some guys are just cut out to be decent domestic or European fighters and I think he's one of them. No shame in that if he could become British champ again but also no money in it so it depends how hungry he still is.

Edited by tomphil

It's a win-win for Khan really. If he loses the fight, he can still come crawling back to England for the Brook stadium fight and take down millions in the process.

If he wins then he can pretty much fight whoever he wants. If he chooses Brook then he'll probably want a 95/5 purse in his favour or something obscene like that.

Eddie Hearn told Khan he could earn 10 million for the Brook fight. When Khan asked Hearn for the 10 million to fight Brook and called his bluff, the problems started.

Thought David Price was definitely done after last time. My girlfriend's brother is friends with some of the family (they live in Clayton-Le-Moors) so he's been to loads of the fights. Even he didn't think he'd come back from the last couple of defeats! 'Head's gone' as it were....

Three of Price's defeats came against two boxers who have now been caught using banned substances. Hard not to feel a tad sorry for him and the deleterious impact these results have had on his standing and career.

AJ fighting Martin for IBF title on April 9th. Hope this isn't a step to far for him at this stage, shades of Bruno.

Bruno lost in 11 to Bonecrusher and in 9/10 to Witherspoon I think. Bruno was never beating Tyson in a million years.

Intriguing fight against Martin and I am pleased he has taken this decision. With Khan v Canello, Fury v Klitchko, Ward v Kovalev, BJS maybe against GGG, or Brook against GGG, Frampton v Quigg with the winner fighting Rigondeux, AJ v Martin etc at long last some decents fights that are hard to call.

AJ fighting Martin for IBF title on April 9th. Hope this isn't a step to far for him at this stage, shades of Bruno.

Not sure what I think about this one.

By all accounts Martin is far from special. But he's 6'5", unbeaten, a southpaw, and (ridiculous as it is) can call himself heavyweight champion. That has to amount to him having more than a puncher's chance. So what happens if Martin takes advantage and wins? His lack of name value means AJ's reputation would be in tatters (particularly among the casuals, who are the ones making him money).

But even if AJ wins, what's the plan thereafter? If he wants to keep the belt he'll have to defend against IBF mandatories. And I'm worried that's too big a jump for him right now. I'm not saying he wouldn't win, but I wouldn't bet my house on him against the likes of Stiverne or Pulev if they fought tomorrow. It's easy to forget that David Price looked similarly terrifying before Tony Thompson found him out. I don't think Dillian Whyte is the proving ground for world-level fighters.

So yeah - can't help wondering whether this is misguided short-term thinking. If he wins, the likes of Haye and Fury will be all over him looking for the belt and a pile of cash. Real dangerous fights for him.

But then again, maybe the way I'm looking at this is symptomatic of what boxing has become - all strategising and career mapping to protect reputations and unbeaten records - and instead we should just let them all get on with it!

Edited by bellamy11

Not sure what I think about this one.

By all accounts Martin is far from special. But he's 6'5", unbeaten, a southpaw, and (ridiculous as it is) can call himself heavyweight champion. That has to amount to him having more than a puncher's chance. So what happens if Martin takes advantage and wins? His lack of name value means AJ's reputation would be in tatters (particularly among the casuals, who are the ones making him money).

But even if AJ wins, what's the plan thereafter? If he wants to keep the belt he'll have to defend against IBF mandatories. And I'm worried that's too big a jump for him right now. I'm not saying he wouldn't win, but I wouldn't bet my house on him against the likes of Stiverne or Pulev if they fought tomorrow. It's easy to forget that David Price looked similarly terrifying before Tony Thompson found him out. I don't think Dillian Whyte is the proving ground for world-level fighters.

So yeah - can't help wondering whether this is misguided short-term thinking. If he wins, the likes of Haye and Fury will be all over him looking for the belt and a pile of cash. Real dangerous fights for him.

But then again, maybe the way I'm looking at this is symptomatic of what boxing has become - all strategising and career mapping to protect reputations and unbeaten records - and instead we should just let them all get on with it!

Your lost paragraph is spot on, not about titles anymore really certainly not outside the heavyweight div anyway. Fighters fighting each other for money and profile first and belts second.

On the AJ fight I've a sneaky feeling some American tv company or promoters have put some big money forwards to get this on as a profile fight more than anything. I was chatting to a Yank boxing guy on twitter and he was saying that Joshua was proving very popular Stateside after his fight v Whyte drew good viewing numbers. People over there have never really taken to the Klitschkos and they won't buy into a knob like Fury at all.

It's a no brainer in that sense because if AJ wins it raises his profile over there in prep for a big fight v Wilder. If Martin wins it gets him known across Europe and paves the way for a huge fight v Fury or Wlad after their rematch. Assuming Fury would go for that belt again )he would imo) but also there is Haye who could get a shot if Martin wins.