BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/nick-blackwell-hospitalised-after-losing-fight-to-chris-eubank-jr-a6954816.html

I've always thought "lack of class" and boxing was a good mix to be honest. There should be at least one sport where people don't have to act like complete corporate puppets. Mike Tyson in particular was a hilariously awful role model. It says in the link Blackwell is currently in an induced coma though that does not mean its going to be a McClellan scenario. There is a classless side of boxing which isn't entertaining as I've seen reports McClellan has virtually been forgotten by the boxing world. If not forgotten they certainly haven't offered a great deal of support.

To be honest Gav (please don't delete this its fair to note irony and I'm taking a break from site for a few weeks so indulge me with this one post...) its not like Dunn is showing a ton of class in your avatar. With such provocation cops/stewards could easily have been seriously injured at least had their fans reacted violently. To be honest I've enjoyed certain instances (such as Arsenal players mocking Van Nistelrooy being a hilariously classless moment) but you can't really condemn anyone else for lacking class with that avatar!

Not that I like Fury at all though.

Edited by VinjayV4

Just touching on what Gav was saying about the lack of class from Saunders and Fury, hardly a shock though in all honesty. Not really a big fan of how involved Chris Eubank is in his son's career, Junior will never be able to step out of his shadow! How many times does he go for that uppercut or the big punches, he gets knackered after every combo!

Chris Eubank is an absolute legend of the sport, whilst I agree he does seem to be a little to involved, I'd rather have him than not.

He was calling it right all night last night, "hit him to the body, you'll not knock him out to the head" but junior wouldn't listen.

As for the upper cuts, he clearly lacks power because his delivery of the shot is pinpoint accurate, so he needs to work on his power as he seems to have the other tools in abundance.

Blackwell placed into an induced coma, lets hope he makes a full recovery.

Eubank jnr does lack big one punch power and that's why he's still fighting for British titles etc instead of taking the division by storm. He's got all the other tools and he'll do well he just needs to learn to box smarter. After Watson his old man just did enough in fights but jnr does too much at times and if he goes about like that v Saunders in a rematch he'll run out of steam and maybe get stopped.

Saunders is another little gobshite and I honestly don't think he fancies a rematch despite what he says. He's too busy pricing himself out of a fight with GGG. A right collection of tits on that ringside front row the other night all egging on Blackwell and goading Eubank then turning around and saying it should have been stopped. Disgraceful stuff from Locket etc in the corner as well, where was the towel ?

• Like 1

Good fight but bent decision. I like Eddie Hearn and in a lot of ways he's been good for Boxing on the TV but there are often strange verdicts/stoppages in his fights leading to a bit of mudslinging. That on Saturday was wrong on many levels.

Fury v Klitschko rematch set for July 9th, although the Klitschko camp are yet to confirm.

Fingers crossed Klitschko brings some order back to the division and takes those belts back off Fury, the mans an embarrassment to the sport.

Edited by GAV

I think Fury brings some much needed character to the division personally. The alternative is the same old clichés being trotted out, same faceless challengers getting smashed back into oblivion etc. Like him or loathe him he gets people talking and I'd say the heavyweight division right now is the most interesting it's been for a long long time. Wilder too to a lesser extent, he will come out and say this and that and with his 'bomb squad' chant etc.

I hope Fury retains his titles and I believe he will do too. Klitschko still has a good chance, I'm certainly not writing him off, but there was zero things he did in the last fight to suggest he has enough in him to win them back. Fury is obviously no Sugar Ray or even a Pernell Whitaker, but I think he has Wladimir's number.

Am I missing something with Joshua vs Martin. Joshua is 1/6 Martin is 9/2. I enjoy the boxing watch it quite a bit and certainly wouldn't consider myself knowledgable in any way but Martin is the heavyweight belt holder, unbeaten, fought better opponents inc that unbeaten Ukrainian to win the belt and confident to make his first defence in the challengers back yard. Joshua on the other hand for all he's the hottest prospect in town and someone I think the British public will really get behind but he's fought no one of note. Plus all the pundit talk at the time of Joshua getting a shot at the IBF was it was a year too early for him.

Suddenly he's prolific odds on favourite. I really want him to win but half tempted to stick some cash on Martin at those odds

I think Fury brings some much needed character to the division personally. The alternative is the same old clichés being trotted out, same faceless challengers getting smashed back into oblivion etc. Like him or loathe him he gets people talking and I'd say the heavyweight division right now is the most interesting it's been for a long long time. Wilder too to a lesser extent, he will come out and say this and that and with his 'bomb squad' chant etc.

I hope Fury retains his titles and I believe he will do too. Klitschko still has a good chance, I'm certainly not writing him off, but there was zero things he did in the last fight to suggest he has enough in him to win them back. Fury is obviously no Sugar Ray or even a Pernell Whitaker, but I think he has Wladimir's number.

Give me an Anthony Joshua any day over a Tyson Fury.

I agree the division needed a shake up, but not by someone who talked more than he punched.

Fury is an embarrassment to the sport, the sooner he retires the better.

Fury v Klitschko rematch set for July 9th, although the Klitschko camp are yet to confirm.

Fingers crossed Klitschko brings some order back to the division and takes those belts back off Fury, the mans an embarrassment to the sport.

That rematch was never going to happen. :tu:

Give me an Anthony Joshua any day over a Tyson Fury.

I agree the division needed a shake up, but not by someone who talked more than he punched.

Fury is an embarrassment to the sport, the sooner he retires the better.

I just can't take to Joshua, I'm not sure if I can buy his nice guy act, I can't quite put my finger on it. I think even you would admit you've gone over the top saying Fury is an embarrassment to the sport but hey, I can accept he's not everyone's cup of tea! It would be very boring if we were all the same!

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I don't think Fury is an embarrassment to boxing, I think he's an embarrassment to humanity....

The kid has talent, but in terms of his mouth, he doesn't seem to have any tact, or know when to rein it in. I suppose some like that sort of thing, it sells tickets etc, I just find myself cringing my head off every time I hear his voice....

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

I just can't take to Joshua, I'm not sure if I can buy his nice guy act, I can't quite put my finger on it. I think even you would admit you've gone over the top saying Fury is an embarrassment to the sport but hey, I can accept he's not everyone's cup of tea! It would be very boring if we were all the same!

Didn't Joshua win a gold medal as an amature, also was awarded an MBE?

I've absolutely no problem with boxers that court controversy, Mayweathers a wife beater, a complete loony, but as a boxer I respect the guy. Tyson has a rap sheet as long as the queue for tickets for a Burnley home game (and that's long) but as a boxer he was absolutely superb in his pomp.

But Fury is an embarrassment to the sport, won the title by hitting Klitschko 80 times and thinks women should be in the kitchen or on their backs, he's an idiot with a platform beyond his intelect.

Edited by GAV

So someone is more of an embarrassment for saying certain things rather than actual physically beating a woman? And Tyson was CONVICTED RAPIST. Ok then. Bit of a warped logic that.

For what it's worth, none are a an embarrassment to boxing in my opinion. Although Tyson goes close to the knuckle by biting part of someone's ear off mid fight. Embarrassment eh?

What about respect for what Fury did to Klitschko? You talk about 80 punches etc and I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs here but there's nuances like footwork etc involved in boxing and that night was a great performance from Fury to make a previously unbeatable looking fighter look ordinary. As a combat sports fan you can't help but have respect for that.

Edited by donnermeat

Fury deserves credit, not respect, for doing a number on Klitschko, no doubt about that. His tactics on the night didn't seem to be about boxing his opponent at all and I'm not sure he could replicate the footwork again if required, but he got the job done, credit to him.

Maybe I'll watch the fight again, only seen it once, I may see things differently.

But hey it's all about opinions donnermeat, wouldn't do for us all to agree all of the time pal.

Edited by GAV
  • Like 2

Fury deserves credit, not respect, for doing a number on Klitschko, no doubt about that. His tactics on the night didn't seem to be about boxing his opponent at all and I'm not sure he could replicate the footwork again if required, but he got the job done, credit to him.

Maybe I'll watch the fight again, only seen it once, I may see things differently.

But hey it's all about opinions donnermeat, wouldn't do for us all to agree all of the time pal.

I certainly agree with that Gav and for what it's worth, I'm not even a massive fan of Fury either!

• Like 1

Am I missing something with Joshua vs Martin. Joshua is 1/6 Martin is 9/2. I enjoy the boxing watch it quite a bit and certainly wouldn't consider myself knowledgable in any way but Martin is the heavyweight belt holder, unbeaten, fought better opponents inc that unbeaten Ukrainian to win the belt and confident to make his first defence in the challengers back yard. Joshua on the other hand for all he's the hottest prospect in town and someone I think the British public will really get behind but he's fought no one of note. Plus all the pundit talk at the time of Joshua getting a shot at the IBF was it was a year too early for him.

Suddenly he's prolific odds on favourite. I really want him to win but half tempted to stick some cash on Martin at those odds

Martin is a good bet at those odds, whilst I want AJ to win and I think he can nail him this Martin guy could just upset the hype. Haye was saying the word coming out of American is CM was bossing it in the gyms over there in the past few years. You don't do that over there if you haven't got something about you.

Saying that though the best they've come up with in the last 10 years from the US is Wilder and there's not really anyone else so they may be clutching at straws.

On the Fury thing the biggest factor in that was he got himself into great shape which no one thought he would. He won't maintain that though throughout his career he hasn't got the right temperament. Often seen out on the lash and in KFC since he became champ. He's like a 14 yrd old stuck in a giant blokes body ! If we look back at the Wlad who fought Haye a few years ago and the one who showed up v Fury it's like 2 different blokes. That Wlad would have chased Fury around the ring all night no bother and they'd have had to box. Age has done for Wlad as much as the pikey I think.

Edited by tomphil

Seems AJ might be the real deal after all and not just a puncher. He fought that fight to perfection. Now the real big tests await but still think he needs a few more difficult tune ups.

Fury will just run around the ring firing off slaps if he fights this guy soon. No way will he engage with Joshua and taking nothing away from Furys achievement but in pure boxing terms AJs last two fights have been more impressive than any fight Fury has had in his career to date.

Edited by tomphil