BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

No points thanks , nice to see your concern.

I've met him quite a few times and know one his uncles who also says he's arrogent . But I give in he's a top bloke that ooozes class you know everything

I can't see Vinjay's problem, you seem to accept reality without much fuss.

Good to see all the racists pop up after his KO, means I could make sure id blocked them all.

For me Amir khans unpopularity has nothing to do with race. There's be several coloured boxers that have been popular Lewis, Bruno, been, Eubank, going back Johnny nelson and currently Joshua. Of course they all had their naysayers and critics (particularly Eubank) but by and large their popularity held up where Khan's hasn't.

I also don't think it's anything to do with religion either because prince naseem was a British Muslim who for all was a marmite type character had lots of fans where Khan doesn't. I don't think he's disliked for being chinny (even though that last ko punch would have taken out a t-Rex) because it takes balls to get into the ring knowing a good punch will put you down.

I think his unpopularity is because from my perception at least he comes across as an arrogant jerk. And that feeling of I just don't like that guy. Hell I don't like George groves either and would you believe it he's white. Or perhaps I'm a closet balding ginger phobic.

Ultimately people will like and dislike the same fighters for many reasons but try not to play the race card so easily.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

I must admit, I'm a little surprised by the race card being pulled re Khan.

Like Abbey, I loved Prince Naseem and he was one of my favourite fighters as a nipper. I've never warmed to Khan, because of my perception of his character and nothing else. Matt83's post pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter!

Edited by K-Hod

Abbey wanted a boxer fgrom the Ukraine / Germany / Fighting out of America, to beat Fury up. And a Mexican to beat Khan up. Good job no-one from Outer Mongolia is fighting a UK fighter!

Two time world title holder, WBC mandatory for Garcia at Welterweight, middleweight challenger = Glass Chin. You could write what some know about boxing on a postage stamp. You don't get to World level with a glass chin. You get found out in your 1st or 2nd fight as an amateur and get told to wrap it up before you get hurt. Froch was on his ass v Groves, Ali against Cooper, Foreman against Ali, Lewis twice, Tyson lost 6 times, sparked out and knocked down loads of times. Heck, Frazer was down 6 times in one round against Foreman. No glass chin involved of course. And before anyone says Mayweather go and do your research as he touched down a few times. Maybe Holyfield with a head made of granite?

Prince Nazeem was down around 10 times in his career, maybe more. Who gives a toss, he was still a class act.

Anyhow, credit to Khan for taking the fight. I thought the new trainer, rising maturity, plus experience at the highest level would help and hoped he could last 12 rounds and win on points. Lets face it that was the only chance he had, but alas it wasn't to be. Despite the new technique and training, Khan's defensive ability remains inadequate and getting caught flush like that trying to hook was George Groves like. Disappointed personally after thinking he would surprise a few.

I have also been proven wrong about Crolla. When Derry Matthews knocked him out (glass chin?) I thought he had no-where to go. 7 losses on his record and I genuinely thought he was UK / European level at best.

However this last couple of years, he has looked very strong against all he faces. Loved his tactics at weekend, kept it tight, stayed close, let the guy punch away, kept coming forward and pressurising, looked to hurt to the body and finished the job. Don't like his trainer at all, but fair play they got the tactics bob on and Crolla boxed perfectly. Best performance ever by a Uk boxer? Don't think so, everyone getting excited, doesn't make it factual. The other guy had only been past 6 rounds once before. Not Crolla's fault, but Barrosa was totally cream crackered.

For me Amir khans unpopularity has nothing to do with race. There's be several coloured boxers that have been popular Lewis, Bruno, been, Eubank, going back Johnny nelson and currently Joshua. Of course they all had their naysayers and critics (particularly Eubank) but by and large their popularity held up where Khan's hasn't.

I also don't think it's anything to do with religion either because prince naseem was a British Muslim who for all was a marmite type character had lots of fans where Khan doesn't. I don't think he's disliked for being chinny (even though that last ko punch would have taken out a t-Rex) because it takes balls to get into the ring knowing a good punch will put you down.

I think his unpopularity is because from my perception at least he comes across as an arrogant jerk. And that feeling of I just don't like that guy. Hell I don't like George groves either and would you believe it he's white. Or perhaps I'm a closet balding ginger phobic.

Ultimately people will like and dislike the same fighters for many reasons but try not to play the race card so easily.

Good point about Groves, I cannot stand that deluded clown he's a bigger tit than Khan will ever be.

On Khan I've seen him live earlier In his career many times when we used to follow Mick Jennings around. Don't know about the lad himself but his entourage left an awful lot to be desired and that was like 10/11 years ago when he was way down undercards even at Bolton arena. You'd have thought it was Mike Tyson in the building with about ten people around him at all times and I don't think that endeared them to a lot of people.

He also never seemed to have a very big following from the local Asian community either for some reason. I've nowt against him and just judge him in boxing terms, he's good but just outside the elite guys. He's had a great career but he's blatantly been ducking Kell Brook, no glory to be had by ending up on his arse there.

Abbey wanted a boxer fgrom the Ukraine / Germany / Fighting out of America, to beat Fury up. And a Mexican to beat Khan up. Good job no-one from Outer Mongolia is fighting a UK fighter!

Two time world title holder, WBC mandatory for Garcia at Welterweight, middleweight challenger = Glass Chin. You could write what some know about boxing on a postage stamp. You don't get to World level with a glass chin. You get found out in your 1st or 2nd fight as an amateur and get told to wrap it up before you get hurt. Froch was on his ass v Groves, Ali against Cooper, Foreman against Ali, Lewis twice, Tyson lost 6 times, sparked out and knocked down loads of times. Heck, Frazer was down 6 times in one round against Foreman. No glass chin involved of course. And before anyone says Mayweather go and do your research as he touched down a few times. Maybe Holyfield with a head made of granite?

Prince Nazeem was down around 10 times in his career, maybe more. Who gives a toss, he was still a class act.

Anyhow, credit to Khan for taking the fight. I thought the new trainer, rising maturity, plus experience at the highest level would help and hoped he could last 12 rounds and win on points. Lets face it that was the only chance he had, but alas it wasn't to be. Despite the new technique and training, Khan's defensive ability remains inadequate and getting caught flush like that trying to hook was George Groves like. Disappointed personally after thinking he would surprise a few.

I have also been proven wrong about Crolla. When Derry Matthews knocked him out (glass chin?) I thought he had no-where to go. 7 losses on his record and I genuinely thought he was UK / European level at best.

However this last couple of years, he has looked very strong against all he faces. Loved his tactics at weekend, kept it tight, stayed close, let the guy punch away, kept coming forward and pressurising, looked to hurt to the body and finished the job. Don't like his trainer at all, but fair play they got the tactics bob on and Crolla boxed perfectly. Best performance ever by a Uk boxer? Don't think so, everyone getting excited, doesn't make it factual. The other guy had only been past 6 rounds once before. Not Crolla's fault, but Barrosa was totally cream crackered.

What an arrogent post .. Mind your head it might get squished squashed on the way out. It's about opinions just because your opinion is different than mine doesn't mean you are the greatest opinion ever on boxing .

What an arrogent post .. Mind your head it might get squished squashed on the way out. It's about opinions just because your opinion is different than mine doesn't mean you are the greatest opinion ever on boxing .

Arrogant? Was just trying to explain that getting sparked out doesn't mean you have a glass chin. Otherwise you will be saying that about almost everybody who has ever fought. It's boxing, people get sparked out.

• Like 1

So he hasn't ?

Yawn ? Go to be earlier dude

I explained I had called the Khan fight incorrectly. I stated I had understimated Crolla's ability.

Some would say acknowledging errors is humble. You think its arrogant.

You think Khan has a glass chin. Haters going to hate!!!! I therefore pointed out with numerous examples that the very best in the world get dropped, without being criticised for a glass chin. You didn't want reminding of that so started name calling.

You say Hamed is your hero so I presume you have watched his fights. If so you will have seen him put down countless times but no-one bemoans a glass chin.

Who do you think has a rock solid chin? Best to research it before you comment.

• 2 weeks later...

What an absolute farce that Haye fight was. I thought his last one was bad enough but this chump got floored with a jab!! I appreciate he wants to get back to Title fights. But these aren't tests at all. It's proving nothing. And next could be Shannon Briggs. Big deal. It's a bloody pantomime.

Not sure who was the worse fighter the Swiss cheese Haye fought or the argie Briggs beat. I've had better fights with the shower curtain.

As for Dave Jesus wept amateur hour it was out of sync for a good 15 minutes. I just assumed it was my tv until someone text me saying their tv was also out.

Edited by matt83

I can't watch another one of them again.

It's the people on Dave I feel for. They've got to pad this out for another 30 minutes!

All this talk about the heavyweight division coming back is rubbish. Joshua is head and shoulders the best and we still don't even know if he can take a punch. Fury isn't worth talking about. He's no boxer. Just a lumox. Just scrap all this bobbins with haye fighting pay day mercenaries and stick him in with Joshua. At least haye can punch. It's the only fight worth watching in the division really.

Edited by patrickvalery
  • Like 1

I know he's on the comeback trail but Hayes doing himself no favours now. He should be doing that on someones undercard not making a song and dance out of it like it's a world title fight in Vegas. The whole nonsense around it was worse than the fight. He should have been fighting Briggs tonight and stepping up again the one after if he won.

The Briggs fight is interesting for 3 rounds because he'll bang back for sure until he runs out of steam or gets KO'ed. Problem for Haye is he doesn't really want to take any risks and blow a huge payday with AJ so he's caught between meaningful fights and just keeping busy.

I reckon he seriously needs that AJ for the money.

Brutal stuff from Bellew, did really well recovering from that knock down. Bit of a gobshite but I've always quite liked him for some reason.

Poor refereeing again though, nearly got hurt very badly that lad.