BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

I don't. He has been stymied by promoters and avoided by fighters for a long time now. I think he will handle Kovalev's power and win relatively comfortably. Few made Froch look pedestrian, but Ward beat him without leaving 2nd gear. Rate Kovalev however and he could be as much as 20 pounds heavier come fight night.

Neither do I in all honesty, I was being facetious. Ward is an extremely effective boxer for sure with a great chance of winninng. General interest in the USA for Ward's fights waned a bit, though like you say he's had his fair share of promotional squabbles. Hopefully Jay Z can serve him better.

Froch was great but was never going to beat a man of Ward's talents.

Edited by donnermeat

Neither do I in all honesty, I was being facetious. Ward is an extremely effective boxer for sure with a great chance of winninng. General interest in the USA for Ward's fights waned a bit, though like you say he's had his fair share of promotional squabbles. Hopefully Jay Z can serve him better.

Froch was great but was never going to beat a man of Ward's talents.

Sorry if I sounded too serious as I presumed you were joking.

Agreed re: Froch, but absolutely no disgrace losing on points to Ward at the time (top 3 pound for pound). I think two rounds only on the scorecard but it was wider than that in my view and I was not suprised Froch did not want the re-match unless in Nottingham with British judges. Ward suffers from being too good in terms of entertainment and tv appeal. Comes across very well however and talks a lot of sense.

All AJ seems to be talking about is Parker & Fury so he needs to be careful here. These are stiff tests once you become champ, another reason why i'll only start taking Fury seriously when he takes his mandatories and defends all the belts he won in one night from one guy.

A repeat is on the cards though as the only thing Wlad has left in my opinion is to close the distance a bit quicker and land one down the pipe. If he opens his hands from the off Fury, not a big puncher, will break him down pretty quickly. We saw with WK in his earlier career he was quite a good boxer but he got caught and punished badly a few times when he let his hands go, too big, too off balance. When he adopted his big Bro's tactics he became unbeatable.

He's too long in the tooth now to change and his robotic jab tactics just don't work against a guy the size of Fury. Much as I hate it it's changing of the guard time, happens regularly in boxing. Wlad should have retired after the last one because he's at the wrong end of his career and too far out of the comfort zone in Germany created for him.

I can see him getting humiliated here similar to Mike Tyson v Lewis and against someone of bellendedness like Fury it'll be a damn shame. Oh for one big punch !!!

All AJ seems to be talking about is Parker & Fury so he needs to be careful here. These are stiff tests once you become champ, another reason why i'll only start taking Fury seriously when he takes his mandatories and defends all the belts he won in one night from one guy.

A repeat is on the cards though as the only thing Wlad has left in my opinion is to close the distance a bit quicker and land one down the pipe. If he opens his hands from the off Fury, not a big puncher, will break him down pretty quickly. We saw with WK in his earlier career he was quite a good boxer but he got caught and punished badly a few times when he let his hands go, too big, too off balance. When he adopted his big Bro's tactics he became unbeatable.

He's too long in the tooth now to change and his robotic jab tactics just don't work against a guy the size of Fury. Much as I hate it it's changing of the guard time, happens regularly in boxing. Wlad should have retired after the last one because he's at the wrong end of his career and too far out of the comfort zone in Germany created for him.

I can see him getting humiliated here similar to Mike Tyson v Lewis and against someone of bellendedness like Fury it'll be a damn shame. Oh for one big punch !!!

Hope we don't draw the Germans / Ukrainians in the Euros! ;)

Fury is a lot better than people give him credit for. Moves very well for a big guy, with good balance and timing. All who have fought him have said he is a real handful. Not many rate him on here seemingly, but 6 foot 9 and 18 stone plus takes some shifting.

• Moderation Lead

Fury has some real talent and I've no doubt would be a nightmare to fight. Just like I do with Morrissey and The Smiths I suppose you've got to put to one side how much of a gimp he is and just appreciate what they do. :tu:

Edited by K-Hod

It does but IMO the real tests are yet to come, Wlads still dangerous of course but I think the curtain has been coming down on him for a while. Not sure if any of the others would have still beaten him when Fury did though so can't take that away from him his tactics and execution of them were spot on to get the job done.

Perfect time though to be able to do that and his team knew it that's why they went all out for Klitschko before someone else got to him. I think he'll bust Wlad up inside 7 this time I really do but that still takes some doing to be fair.

Anyway.... Groves v Murray. Perhaps the most interesting one this weekend, a great domestic matchup. Groves takes it for me although I want Murray to win.

Edited by tomphil

It does but IMO the real tests are yet to come, Wlads still dangerous of course but I think the curtain has been coming down on him for a while. Not sure if any of the others would have still beaten him when Fury did though so can't take that away from him his tactics and execution of them were spot on to get the job done.

Perfect time though to be able to do that and his team knew it that's why they went all out for Klitschko before someone else got to him. I think he'll bust Wlad up inside 7 this time I really do but that still takes some doing to be fair.

Anyway.... Groves v Murray. Perhaps the most interesting one this weekend, a great domestic matchup. Groves takes it for me although I want Murray to win.

Groves v Murray is very interesting indeed. Groves now trained by McGuigan who will have improved him no end.

Murray is a tough lad however and I am not sure Groves can stop him, although Murray has always fought at middleweight and may be small at the higher weight.

Murray stating he will take Groves into the later rounds and put it on him. Stamina issues and a tendency to lose concentration could be a problem for Groves later in this fight, although McGuigan must surely have looked to work on that with Groves. As an ex-convict, huge admiration for Murray in the way he has turned his life around.

Nowhere to go for either fighter if losing. Shame really as both have come very close to the ultimate glory.

Groves for me on points

Yeah I am edging that way as well, younger guy, longer reach, naturally heavier.

Just wondering what happens when Murray gets close and starts unloading. Different type of fighter to Froch and Jack and will pressure Groves no end. Decent fight, hard t call.

Fury v Klitchko cancelled. Ankle strain for Fury.

Pictured in pubs two weeks ago and also gate crashed some little rave or other in the Lakes. Genuine or not they've known for a while or he's just lost the plot and broke camp and now they need more time.

Whichever, it just reiterates what a prize pillock he is and after the stick he fired out at Haye for their cancellations then Wlad last time I hope his social media is in meltdown. Having achieved his dream I'm not sure his hearts totally in it anymore as he's been a regular out on the razz and in junk food joints since his smash and grab in Germany.

Eubank junior has all the attributes to be a very very good fighter, he plants his feet and hits you hard, from all directions.

I still think he lacks a bit of power, he hit the lad tonight with some clean shots to the head and never put him away

Talk of him fighting Golovkin later this year, not sure he's in that class, but credit to him, everyones avoiding Golovkin, Eubank isn't.

Exciting fighter, exciting times at middleweight again.

• Like 1

Tough sod this breazeale he's just not going down.

He's gone now

Just what he needed that matt, tough durable opposition without being a threat.

He's the real deal AJ, if he takes his time he'll dominate the heavyweight division for years to come.

• Like 2

Eubank junior has all the attributes to be a very very good fighter, he plants his feet and hits you hard, from all directions.

I still think he lacks a bit of power, he hit the lad tonight with some clean shots to the head and never put him away

Talk of him fighting Golovkin later this year, not sure he's in that class, but credit to him, everyones avoiding Golovkin, Eubank isn't.

Exciting fighter, exciting times at middleweight again.

We commented on that and the other lad was solid build. Personally of the opinion he'll have to move up pretty soon there's nothing on his body to absorb the kind of shots GGG will plant into him.

Was indeed the best fight AJ could have had as a first defence as Breazeele was no patsy. Little power in him but quick hands and good movement and his football background obviously gave him the legs as they held him up a few times.

Most impressive thing about AJ is his patience, was missing a lot of big shots so needs to iron that out but his stamina was never in question and once he knew he wasn't blowing the guy away he just stalked him and broke him down, went for the kill when he was ready. Very good stuff but still a bit raw and needs two more like that before he steps up to Wilder/Fury etc.

I'd also keep him clear of Haye although if he gets past 3 rounds that fights his as well.

Edited by tomphil

That has been aimed at his cousin for a while but I never thought TF would be on it seeing as he's never taken on that bodybuilding type physique. He was on his toes like a man possessed v Klitschko though for one his size and had lost an awful lot of weight to get in shape.

Given the Fury clans background it wouldn't really be surprising.

That has been aimed at his cousin for a while but I never thought TF would be on it seeing as he's never taken on that bodybuilding type physique. He was on his toes like a man possessed v Klitschko though for one his size and had lost an awful lot of weight to get in shape.

Given the Fury clans background it wouldn't really be surprising.

I've followed Fury for a while now, seen him be avoided by all and sundry, seen his weight baloon between fights, his salesman antics, stupid comments etc. But I've always thought of the boxer only and quietly rated him as a right old handful. Watching seasoned pros like Klitchko and Haye collapse mentally was also very interesting indeed. Credit to Chisora, another fruitcake, but hard to bully.

Fury was allegedly tested for high levels of nandrolene in Feb 2015. Along with Hughie. It took till September to have a formal meeting, to conclude further investigation was required. Until now.

Doesn't sound good, but I will wait till we hear more. I've a lot of time for his Uncle so I'm hoping not for the group as a whole and UK boxing.

One thing is for sure bad news follows him around and he seems all over the place. Not sure why he thinks it's a good plan to act disgracefully and tarnish his brand and reputation like this. It's never dull.

In fact it is dull. Very dull. We've seen it all before. I want to see clean athletes. I'm done with him if he is juiced up. I can tolerate him being a knob if fighting fairly.

Edited by onlyonejackwalker
  • Like 1

Lot of stuff flying about weeks ago regarding him breaking camp etc now it sounds like he bust his ankle whilst on the @#/?. Coming on the back of the alleged juice I wonder if his head has gone as the fight was approaching. If he was on it in the run up to the last fight then not this time maybe an attack of nerves did for him. All the pressure was on him this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Kell Brook v GGG big fight and big coup by Eddie Hearn to get Golovkin over here. Another guy stepping up like Khan and will be out his depth imo. Can only see one winner although Brook is very good and should present a test to triple G who takes shots to give them at times.

Eubank has messed it up for JNR by all accounts, when is he ever going to learn. Also Canello and his Golden Boy promoters pulled out of a signed for fight with GGG so big credit to Brook for having the minerals to step in and move up to middleweight. Might be painful though.

Only just seen this, stunned to be honest, Brook won't beat GGG will he? Similar chance as Khan had against Alvarez, no chance.

But credit to Hearn for putting this together, and in Brooks shoes we'd not turn down a purse in excess of £1m would we.

Brooks quite big for a welter but he is jumping 2 divisions for this so it's a massive task. GGG is absolutely bang on at Middle similar to how Froch was at Super Middle so again can only see one winner.