BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

To those who have a more thorough knowledge of boxing does this Joseph Parker have a chance vs Joshua? If that's indeed who he's fighting next as I've lost track since that lummox pulled out v Klitschko and everything's up for grabs.

He looked devastating vs Alex Dimitrenko (who I've admittedly never heard of). Undefeated. But has he only fought numpties?

Plus what's happened to David haye? He made a return from a long injury fought 2 bums on some strange channel like Dave then he said he'd fight that Shannon "lets go champ" Briggs but I've heard nothing of him or that fight since. I really rate him as a boxer and he can't have many yrs left so I don't know why he's not after a better fighter and ultimately a klitschko, Joshua, wilder type.

Briggs wanted too much money apparently so that seems to have fallen through bearing in mind Haye wants to fight on the free channels. For me he should be fighting the likes of Parker or Price instead of his bum every few months routine but I think he's just holding out for one last big shot and was just keeping busy. Some rumours recently that he's lined up for Wilder comeback next year for the WBC, him and Wilder are pals so you never know.

Parker looks decent but I wouldn't say he's ready for AJ yet they all look good when they aren't frightened of getting hit until they step in with a real banger.

As soon as they've sorted what's happening with Fury and the belts I think AJ v Wlad will be on. Klitschkos booked his German arena for Dec 10th or something so maybe then.

So Fury this aft announces his retirement ;0

-------- --------- ---------

Fury this aft announces his comeback ! For gods sake I thought we'd got rid !

Either he's on the beak or beer on a Monday afternoon or he has bi polar in the most aggressive form.

He needs help very quick I'd say or there'll be a messy ending one day.

I'd say it's too soon for him to tackle Wlad he's all wrong style wise for AJ although they've sparred a lot so Joshua doesn't seem to have any worries. He'll find it hard to land a clean shot on Klitschko I reckon and it's a question of how he handles going into the late rounds with someone so experienced. Fury beat him by staying on his toes for 12 rounds, not AJs way that.

• Moderation Lead

It seems like everyone's favourite Irish traveler Tyson Fury might be in danger of losing his licence.

Based on what he's been saying on Twitter et al, that lad needs checking into rehab or counseling ASAP, he's clearly in need of a fair amount of help and I sincerely hope he seeks that help.

Edited by K-Hod

After Fury's retirement and subsequent u-turn the champion's legal representative, Lewis Power QC, said: "Tyson Fury’s recent startling mixed comments on social media as to his retirement and later as to retraction of such we hope can be seen in the light of recent events ; his belief that he has been subjected to constant harassment, hounding by social media and commentators, and his ongoing disputes with certain sporting bodies. It is unsurprising that someone who is in such a vulnerable mental state would be pushed to such bizarre behaviour.

"He has recently been diagnosed as suffering from a major depressive illness. He has commenced a current and recommended treatment protocol.

"He needs time to benefit from treatment and a chance to recuperate fully.

"These comments are paradoxically and effectively symptomatic of his seeking to end all the mounting pressure on him due to his state of mind and are indicative of a coping mechanism deu to the deterioration in his mental health.

"The hound of depression is more fierce than any opponent and Tyson’s struggle with his demons is now the biggest fight of his life.

"We would appreciate everyone to respect his privacy and give him the necessary time and space in order to recover."

Edited by onlyonejackwalker

He needs the treatment but they are also dressing it up all they can to try and hold on to the belts. He's @#/? about all year and admitted he broke camp before the first fight to go on the lash. He doesn't want to fight and the more his antics with the ale and drugs the worse his state has allegedly become.

Amazing this statement now comes out worded like that just after his rant. The main thing is he's physically so out of shape they'll need months to get him in it and of course his head needs to be in it in order to discipline himself to get fighting fit.

Sounds also like his marriage has suffered again from what he was ranting and that could be the real reason he's cracking up as well as pressure on the PEDS charges.

I really hope he gets sorted but sorry the sport must go on and a lot of his problems are self inflicted. If boxing got put on hold for every fighter that goes this way there'd be no fights made. Strip him with the assurance that if & when he comes back fit and ready he's automatically the number 1 challenger again without having to go through eliminators again.

That's fair enough.

• Like 1

Hopefully people will lay off him a little bit now, with it being a mental health issue.

Mmmm. Not so sure about that. Booze and drug abuse? Almost guaranteed to cause unhappiness, depression and mental health in-balance. What came first the chicken or the egg?

I have a lot of time for Fury the boxer, but have run out of patience with Fury the man. It is always easy pointing the finger elsewhere but as my dad always used to remind me when pointing the finger bear in mind that three fingers point straight back at you!

Am not falling for the 'feeling sorry for myself' act in place. Fancy subsequently blaming social media and negative press when actively using it to your advantage for years.

I ain't crying in my milk about Fury's supposed problems, that have only seemingly manifested themselves since Nandrolene was allegedly found in his system and he made ridiculous comments about Jews, Homosexuals and other minority groups. His lifestyle has not been condusive to professional sport and this sounds like a convenient cop out to me.

I appreciate this post isn't overly politically correct in the current climate, but I do not believe the current convenient spin. Genuine mental health problems are very serious indeed and cause major unhappiness and upset for those affected and also those charged with caring for those afflicted. You don't treat mental health problems with booze and cocaine. Simple as that.

• Like 1

The words of a guy I know who hangs about around Furys crew 'He just wants to be one of the lads' that was in summer when he was out and about having a good time whilst he was supposed to be training for the first postponed fight.

De motivation I think has been the start of all this as he really had his head set on a big money fight or two with Wilder hence him going to the States and confronting him. They thought they could get this 1 for his next fight after he won the belts and fob off Klitschko with a series of kick offs about money, venue etc but Wlad forced the rematch and agreed to switch venues and all their daft demands because it isn't about money for him.

Lets not forget with Fury he's played the controversial character all along seemingly carving himself out an image as it sells tickets maybe his ability doesn't. When anyone who knows him or comes into contact with him away from boxing says he's a nice pleasant easy going guy. It bears the hallmarks of someone being forced to do something he doesn't want to as with a rematch he's nothing much to gain and everything to lose.

A match or two with Wilder is a serious earner and another belt to become undisputed champ but get sparked in a rematch with the Ukrainian and it's all gone and start all over again. They played the stigma card too quick for my liking and everything seems about not losing the belts rather than getting a young guy who's allegedly buckled under pressure back to being his normal self again.

Also if Peter Fury told me a cat has whiskers I'd want proof !

Edited by tomphil

Mmmm. Not so sure about that. Booze and drug abuse? Almost guaranteed to cause unhappiness, depression and mental health in-balance. What came first the chicken or the egg?

I have a lot of time for Fury the boxer, but have run out of patience with Fury the man. It is always easy pointing the finger elsewhere but as my dad always used to remind me when pointing the finger bear in mind that three fingers point straight back at you!

Am not falling for the 'feeling sorry for myself' act in place. Fancy subsequently blaming social media and negative press when actively using it to your advantage for years.

I ain't crying in my milk about Fury's supposed problems, that have only seemingly manifested themselves since Nandrolene was allegedly found in his system and he made ridiculous comments about Jews, Homosexuals and other minority groups. His lifestyle has not been condusive to professional sport and this sounds like a convenient cop out to me.

I appreciate this post isn't overly politically correct in the current climate, but I do not believe the current convenient spin. Genuine mental health problems are very serious indeed and cause major unhappiness and upset for those affected and also those charged with caring for those afflicted. You don't treat mental health problems with booze and cocaine. Simple as that.

Whether alcohol and drugs were a factor in his psychological problems or not, for me it has to he taken at face value at this stage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly a fan of the bloke either, I just don't incessantly hate him like the majority of people do.

He's probably both.

The nearest description yet, he's clearly highly strung but he's always come across as having that i'll do and say what I want attitude but he's learned now it comes with a price and he doesn't seem equipped to deal with that.

I was too young to remember at the time, but if Fury is a disgrace for acting the goat, taking the mickey and saying some dumb things then heaven knows what people must have said about Mike Tyson for raping an 18 year old and savagely biting half somebody's ear off, disfiguring him for life.

I'll reiterate, I'm no fan of the bloke, I just think a modicum of sense is needed here.

Edited by donnermeat
  • Like 1

"There is a name for what I have," he says, "where, one minute I'm happy, and the next minute I'm sad, like commit-suicide-sad. And for no reason – nothing's changed."

Sitting in his armchair, wearing a vest and shorts, Fury looks at me evenly. "One minute I'm over the moon and the next minute I feel like getting in my car and running it into a wall at a hundred miles an hour. I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm messed up."

Can he overcome these feelings? "No," Fury says calmly. "I just live with them. I think I need a psychiatrist because I do believe I am mentally disturbed in some way. Maybe it was the fact that when I was a kid we didn't have a family life. My mother and father were always shouting and screaming and hitting each other. My dad had different women and different kids down the road. My mum had 14 pregnancies – but only four of us survived. We had a little sister born for a few days and she died. There had to be a funeral. That would affect you."

I dunno what I want out of life, me. What's the point of it all?"

I'm looking for something different that's just not out there. But when I get in the ring I don't have this feeling I've got now. Right now, I really feel like smashing this place up."

Mike Tyson was up there with the likes of Bin Laden and Saddam in the eyes of some including the media. The most famous man on the planet and one of the most hated at times, bizarrely more for the ear biting than the alleged rape. Him and Fury are incomparable yet he's decided to call himself the baddest man on the planet now. I doubt he'd have lasted a week in Mikes world.

Thing is like if you portray yourself as a monster then people will begin to treat you like one and eventually you'll become one as in Tysons case. In Furys case he's played the fool from the off, part act and part real probably but he's been encouraged to do it and go out of his way to try and be controversial to sell tickets so it's not hard to see why people are biting back at him now. Those around him need to look at themselves as well instead of looking for every excuse in the book and trying to apportion blame elsewhere.

Also drugs are drugs and he's an intelligent guy who knows right from wrong but he's wanted to play the wild man which has ended up just compounding his problems. The belts need taking away, rules are rules, could be the best thing for him to re focus on getting right and getting back fighting for them again if he wants to. First though he needs a complete break from it all.

Anyway back to the actual,boxing, cracking fight between Burns & Relikh. Ricky holding on again at the end and another judge called into question.

Edited by tomphil

So now he's given the belts up just before they were stripped and he's been suspended by the British board of control. All expected and all standard practise he's no victim like they'll be making him out to be constantly now in their damage limitation exercise.

The other day they were saying he may be back in the gym by March/April after treatment, now they're saying he may be fit to fight Feb/March, amazing that !!! Now the non lucrative rematch has been swerved it's all systems go it seems.

As always with this lot nothing quite adds up. They'd give V's a run for their money in the bullscreet stakes.

Another tear up from Bellew, always good to watch and no doubt he's got vicious fists but no way can he go gung ho like that v Haye or he'll be out of there pretty sharp.

Can't see it ever happening to be honest as he'd have to go up to heavy whereas Haye has been comfortable at 15+ stone for years now.

Another tear up from Bellew, always good to watch and no doubt he's got vicious fists but no way can he go gung ho like that v Haye or he'll be out of there pretty sharp.

Can't see it ever happening to be honest as he'd have to go up to heavy whereas Haye has been comfortable at 15+ stone for years now.

Flores was in the sauna twice yesterday. Presumed he would struggle. Much prefer Bellew at the heavier weight.

Good win for Campbell. End of the road for Derry.

Yes you don't see Derry Mathews stopped in his tracks like that very often and i agree it's time to hang em up now he's had a great career. One of the toughest lads out there but there have been signs over his last few fights his resistance is not what it was.

Thought Flores was doing ok but got a bit clumsy and was very naive when claiming that low blow and got himself nailed. That was the end right there really.