BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Thought Bellew let himself down with his rant at Haye, calling him a 'bitch' was extremely poor really, if you're going to insult someone, insult them, bitch is just US gangsta nonsense and added little to proceedings.

Thought he was reckless as the commentators said, but he got the job done and thats all that was required on the night.

As for Fury, I can't help thinking the latest revelations about his mental health have been concocted to save him from a lengthy ban, its calculated and very deliberate in my opinion.

I could be wrong, but thats just my thoughts on the whole debacle.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

Thought Bellew let himself down with his rant at Haye, calling him a 'bitch' was extremely poor really, if you're going to insult someone, insult them, bitch is just US gangsta nonsense and added little to proceedings.

Thought he was reckless as the commentators said, but he got the job done and thats all that was required on the night.

As for Fury, I can't help thinking the latest revelations about his mental health have been concocted to save him from a lengthy ban, its calculated and very deliberate in my opinion.

I could be wrong, but thats just my thoughts on the whole debacle.

From what i can gather it was all a bit staged managed from Eddie Hearn. That's why there was no real verbal aggression, we've seen Bellew when he's really angry and he goes of his head but he was very controlled in all that. They were/are good mates in the real world allegedly but Haye won't take it on whilst he's still in with a shout of a HW mega money title shot so Hearns trying to whip it up.

It will only happen in the near future if Haye gets squeezed out of the HW pic. He's getting divorced so he'll need a big payday soon though.

Scott Fitsgerald - Preston pro won on the undercard after being floored. 5 fights - five wins - four knockouts - floored once. Looks a decent British Title level fighter at least but wont be happy winning off the deck.

A name to watch out for. Mark Bolan. Young middleweight from Eccleston near Chorley. Fought on the Crolla undercard, damaged hand ligaments but still went on to win. 2 and 0. Coached him at snooker for years and watched his progress through the amateurs were most got sparked out.

Fitzgerald trained by Michael Jennings and his brother, big hopes for him but a bit sluggish on Saturday. Think he thought he'd blow the other lad away but hopefully he's learned a valuable lesson there, never underestimate anybody.

You've always got to hand respect to someone who gets up and wins though :tu:

Edited by tomphil

Fitzgerald trained by Michael Jennings and his brother, big hopes for him but a bit sluggish on Saturday. Think he thought he'd blow the other lad away but hopefully he's learned a valuable lessen there, never underestimate anybody.

You've always got to hand respect to someone who gets up and wins though :tu:

Tough as old boots his opponent Tomps. Never been stopped. Won 6 from 26 I think. Hurt Fitzgerald to the body and head. And yes getting up off the deck shows some heart and a will to win.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Pacmans back and strolls his way to another comfortable victory whilst Mayweather surfaces again. Think we can see what's coming again here, zzzzzz

Much rather see either of them fighting the likes of Khan, Brook etc but we know it's all about the $$$$ so they'll be in with each other again within the next 12 months probably. Same outcome, zzzzzz

Edited by tomphil

Looks like local lad and alleged Rovers fan Luke Blackledge will fight Smith for a shot at his title on the undercard of Joshua in Manchester Dec 10th.

Hope it gets done and fair play to Blackledge for getting into position and the Smith mod for giving him a shot if it comes off. Hope he can do it justice although there is only one winner there I feel.

Good fight tonight between Swifty Smith and Sosa but it seems that particular Smith is going to follow big bro Paul as a nearly man. Just not quite good enough at top level .

Less said about Malik Scott and Luis Ortiz, Scott should be sacked for that. Think he took a leaf out of Furys book by prancing around the ring pulling faces except he wasn't very good at it and fell over his own feet about 4 times. Shame we couldn't really see what Ortiz has but from what I've seen so far I think he might just be a guy who'll give AJ a few probs.

Another poor points verdict last night for a home based fighter from the 3 home based judges. That simply shouldn't be allowed at that level of boxing with what's at stake. Thought Kovalev fought a great fight again Ward who's difficult to hit and counters quick and clean but looks to have no real power at that weight.

Never seen him knocked about like that before but he won a few rounds as well. At the very least it should have been a draw.

Edited by tomphil

• 2 weeks later...

Haye v Bellew confirmed for March, can't wait for that. All the hallmarks of a mismatch with Bellew stepping up to heavy but it'll be explosive and he can bang.

Don't blink or you'll miss it.

Haye has never been a true heavyweight. Blown up Cruiserweight. I think the heaviest he has ever fought at is just over 16 stone. Joshua and Whyte have just come in at 17 stone 12 for their next fights.

Always liked Haye until he dodged Fury twice citing injury. Lost a lot of respect for him at that time in a fight I and he both doubted he could win. Some of his excuses and general pantomime behaviour irritated. Rumours he has waxed all his dough and that is the reason he is fighting again. Bellew doesn't take a punch well and often ends on his ass. Stevenson knocked him all over the place and although Haye has annoyed me considerably this last few years I still hope he sparks the gobby scouser out.

Looking forward to Whyte v Chisora and Joshua v Melina. As Tomps says the Smith fight is also interesting as is Dave Allen against the South American big hitter. Allen is very hard to knock out. Should be interesting.

Kal Yufai is another good fight as well. Hoping he makes the step up and wins.

3 rounds of Molina cowering waiting to be knocked out. I actually felt a bit embarrassed for the fella. Glad I didn't pay for it. AJ needs to fight a proper fighter soon. Someone who has the punching and a bit of nous to back it up. Personally I would put him in with Haye before Klitschko. He has the punching power to hurt him and has that speed and technique to make it a fight If he can get through that safely enough, give him the mega fight. My money would be on Klitschko though at the minute. I just don't think Joshua has been thoroughly tested yet and needs a 12 round war before fighting a legend like Klitschko.

The undercard was pretty good though.

Yafai's fight was good. That lad's gonna rule over that division for a long time!

Whyte / Chisora was an epic. Hope there's a rematch next year!

That punch from Quigg was a beaut, glad he's on his way back.

And that punch from Smith, holy @#/?. Bet Blackledge's teeth are still vibrating! Should have been pulled a round before, but still, what a hit!

Cracking nights boxing so glad i went and added bonus of not phone signal in there so i didn't know score till after midnight :blink:

That Chisora v Whtye was and absolute cracker, rarely do fights live up to the overhype nonsense and so called bad blood that SKY foists upon us for virtually every match up these days but this one delivered. Neither was giving an inch and i'm sure would've carried on until one just dropped. Top stuff and to think i thought their rivalry was fake !

Del boy robbed though and whilst i think Hearn is a great promoter the number of stinks around his fight results are now getting beyond suspicion. In a fight that that when there is no belt on the line and the judges find it hard they shouldn't be under pressure for a winner they should be comfortable calling a draw. Then when Hearn comes out and says Whyte is lined up for Wilder it whiffs even more.

Great to see Quigg back again and putting on a performance that was sadly missing v Frampton, unlucky for Blackledge but he was always going to be outclassed. Didn't let anyone down and he's tough lad but that brutal ko which came because he was knackered won't do him any favours.

AJ did what was expected and everyone slagging him needs to remember that was just his 18th pro fight and if the chance of a beatable guy with a belt hadn't dropped in his lap then he'd still be fighting guys like Molina as part of his development. Hearn is doing it right with him and for me and now Wlad is primed for the taking. Won't be easy but his effort or lack of it v Fury showed he's on the wane, he won't trade with Aj and he won't take those shots although i'd never rule him out. Point is though by the time they fight he'll have been out 18 months and be about 41, all that balances it out somewhat,

After seeing Fury again last night and him and his crews usual antics he remains a first class tit. Must be 25 stone and shuffled in and out looking almost embarrassed before talking crap on twitter again. Finished at that level i'd say, iv'e watched a lot of boxing and for me Joshua simply blows away ANY version of Fury.

Edited by tomphil

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes you need to be told when to quit. It seems that Blackwell, who Eubank Jnr. hurt so badly was involved in an unsanctioned sparring bout. Only a complete tool would risk severe brain damage and dementia after that Eubank bout, and a responsible trainer would tell him when to fold. You're no good to yourself or your family if you're in a nursing home at the age of 45.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/38418559

Fury is 'awkward' like one of those physical, tenacious strikers like Dickov. AJ looks classy, but every opponent gets slapped so you still don't know if he can survive a fast, vicious fight like those Gatti vs. Ward fights..

My point on this with Fury is he wouldn't get away with the way he fought 39 year old over cautious Klitschko when fighting the likes of Wilder and joshua. Younger, far quicker, throw long jabs and combinations whereas in many was Wlad was tailor made for Fury. Everyone has a nemises, i think Mike Tyson at his best could have blown away most top heavyweights in history over the first 5 rounds or so but i think he would always have had problems with Holyfield whenever they might have met.

When Klitschko fought Haye he chased him all over the ring for 12 rounds yet the guy could only shuffle after Fury, too busy keeping his paws up. Iv's seen Joshua live a few times and he's quick and so are his feet and for a big guy he can also work some angles. Different kinds of fights and in these Fury would have to trade and he would get tagged no doubt. He won the title fight fair and square in the ring despite suspicions about what he may have used to get himself in that shape but before that he'd shown me nothing exceptional at all and having seen him in the flesh a few times it'll take 12 months to get him in that shape again.

He's the one with it all to prove.

Edited by tomphil

Good points, but Fury might spoil the AJ show just like how Big Sam's Bolton always beat Arsenal. It would be typical that someone like Fury would win just to p-ss on people's chips.It is just a gut feeling I have. I like AJ a lot, and he seems to be able to smash anyone before he gets tested which is great. But he'll find one guy who'll really stick one on him. It probably is not Fury, but there's someone who'll really challenge AJ and get him in real trouble as he's barely broken sweat so far.

• Like 1

Yes fully agree and yes i can see Fury being a spoiler but he'd get nailed before he does any nailing or dragged it into late rounds. He's a hard lad though so he might get up but i doubt it although there's no forgone conclusions with heavyweights, one punch and all that.

I think Wilder would be the man to upset the AJ applecart if anyone does and that's the biggest test out there for either one. David Haye in top form probably beats them both but not sure if he's that much left to be honest.

What's Wilder been like recently? I know he was smashing everyone like AJ on his way to the WBC belt, but I don't know what he's been like since. As for Haye, he could have been very good, but he's still a big head, a flash Harry who over estimates himself. I think even now that calculating dismantling Wlad did to him rankles and nags away in his mind.

Wilders been a bit in and out for me recently, decent performance then not so good although he's out injured at the min, due back Feb i think. Just like AJ and Fury he needs to be testing himself against the best now. Always got rid of what's been put in front of him though.