BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Shame about the injury, more or less ended the fight as a contest at that point. Brave of Haye to carry on but it must be a worry for Bellew he couldn't finish off a static and lame opponent - the final stoppage was as much that Hayes couldn't get up, as it was a lethal punch. In fact Bellew had to slow down to stop punching himself out.

Rematch at Goodison Park? Really depends where Bellew wants to go, and if Haye fights on. For that though IMO Joshua would stop Bellew comfortably, and I see no upside for Joshua to have that fight anyway.

It was cringeworthy watching Haye beg for a rematch. 

Well done to the gobby scouser. Deserved to win.

Whyte talking the talk now about fighting Bellew. Don't blame him for thinking Chiosora is a backward step, but would still like to watch a re-run of that again.The other British Heavyweight David Price continued to demonstrate he simply isn't good enough losing again recently

Cannot believe the advice given to Haye, once his Achilles had gone. If I had been in the corner he would have simply fought above his stool and not moved. How are you meant to move around with tendon damage? Either it wasn't as bad as made out, or he suffered pain each round dragging himself around the ring. Should have stayed where he was and called Bellew in.

Big fan of Shane Mcquigan, but can't help feeling he has blotted his copy book the last two fights. Haye shouldn't have fought if struggling with injury and Mcquigan should have insisted. After pulling out of the Fury fight's, Haye probably thought the show must go on with this one. Thougt Mcquigan's tactics in the Frampton / Santa Cruz fight were poor as well.

Talking of Fury, as I am his only fan on here :), hopefully he can come back soon and sort out this division again. Talk of him fighting in May if he gets his license back. If Hughie beats Parker in New Zealand and Tyson can pin Wilder it is all set up for three British Heavyweight Champions, which would be entertaining. Subject to Joshua being able to do what Fury did or better to Klitchko. I wanted Hughie to fight in the UK, but Warren lost the purse bid by £200k, bidding 2.8 million to the successful 3 million.

Talking of lost purse bids, Eddie Hearn missed out on the Callum Smith / Dyrrel fight for the UK. Hearn bid 1.2 and Bob Arum 1.6. Still expect Smith to win that fight, but his opponent is a decent operator. A tad surprised that they went down that route instead of Degales IBF, but they may feel it is an easier fight, even when travelling abroad. Free's up degale to re-visit the Groves rivalry.

Looks like Khan / Pacquiao is off due to financiers withdrawing. It never felt quite right the match-up and came as little surprise when called off.

Brook v Spence should be a good fight and credit to Brook for taking it as he struggles to get down to 147. Supposedly at Brammal Lane.

• Like 2

Even if he got his license back, which he won't, no way will Fury fight in may he's a right mess physically. Saw him in Manchester in Dec and he was obviously out of shape, saw him again recently and i'll tell you this that fella has no intention of fighting. He's just drawing attention to himself because there was a high profile heavyweight fight at the weekend and obviously an even bigger one in April.

Sat behind his keypad bad mouthing everyone, crying injustice and hiding behind this lineal champ bollux. All this whilst suspended for substance abuse and facing an inquiry into PEDS. I'll be surprised if he ever fights again, maybe in a couple of years when he's blown his doh. I'm no expert but imo if he'd carried on after the Wlad fight and had rematch,fought Wilder, AJ etc he'd have been found out by now in the ring.

6 hours ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

Well done to the gobby scouser. Deserved to win.

Whyte talking the talk now about fighting Bellew. Don't blame him for thinking Chiosora is a backward step, but would still like to watch a re-run of that again.The other British Heavyweight David Price continued to demonstrate he simply isn't good enough losing again recently

Cannot believe the advice given to Haye, once his Achilles had gone. If I had been in the corner he would have simply fought above his stool and not moved. How are you meant to move around with tendon damage? Either it wasn't as bad as made out, or he suffered pain each round dragging himself around the ring. Should have stayed where he was and called Bellew in.

Big fan of Shane Mcquigan, but can't help feeling he has blotted his copy book the last two fights. Haye shouldn't have fought if struggling with injury and Mcquigan should have insisted. After pulling out of the Fury fight's, Haye probably thought the show must go on with this one. Thougt Mcquigan's tactics in the Frampton / Santa Cruz fight were poor as well.

Talking of Fury, as I am his only fan on here :), hopefully he can come back soon and sort out this division again. Talk of him fighting in May if he gets his license back. If Hughie beats Parker in New Zealand and Tyson can pin Wilder it is all set up for three British Heavyweight Champions, which would be entertaining. Subject to Joshua being able to do what Fury did or better to Klitchko. I wanted Hughie to fight in the UK, but Warren lost the purse bid by £200k, bidding 2.8 million to the successful 3 million.

Talking of lost purse bids, Eddie Hearn missed out on the Callum Smith / Dyrrel fight for the UK. Hearn bid 1.2 and Bob Arum 1.6. Still expect Smith to win that fight, but his opponent is a decent operator. A tad surprised that they went down that route instead of Degales IBF, but they may feel it is an easier fight, even when travelling abroad. Free's up degale to re-visit the Groves rivalry.

Looks like Khan / Pacquiao is off due to financiers withdrawing. It never felt quite right the match-up and came as little surprise when called off.

Brook v Spence should be a good fight and credit to Brook for taking it as he struggles to get down to 147. Supposedly at Brammal Lane.

Good read as always OjW.

Glad Haye got beat, never been a fan, all talk, hype and bluster for me. His performance against Klitch was embarrassing after all his chat beforehand, but he's made a fortune with limited ability and a big mouth, not the first and won't be the last.

Looking forward to AJ's fight with Klitch, think AJ can be the real deal, just hope he doesn't rush things.

A big mouth and big right had, fast hard left jab and superb athletic ability before his lay off. Got his tactics badly wrong v Wlad but only previously lost to Carl Thompson he was top drawer at cruiserweight. Hayes a lot of things but hype job certainly isn't one of them.

17 hours ago, Gav said:

Good read as always OjW.

Glad Haye got beat, never been a fan, all talk, hype and bluster for me. His performance against Klitch was embarrassing after all his chat beforehand, but he's made a fortune with limited ability and a big mouth, not the first and won't be the last.

Looking forward to AJ's fight with Klitch, think AJ can be the real deal, just hope he doesn't rush things.

Cheers Gav. I was a massive Haye fan before his shenaningans with Fury. Supposedly shoulder damage and a cut eye and bang the fights were off. Was hoping he would win to inject more life into the Heavyweight division. Bellew won't live with the bigger blokes.

I'm not so sure about all that Tomps. A friend operating at middleweight has said that Fury is looking very good in training again. Not heard about the PEDS issue for a while. Any update on all that as it seemingly has been very badly handled. 

25 stone by his own admission yesterday so if that's looking good in training i' going to get on the pies lol

The hearing was supposed to be in Feb but it seems to be being kept quiet for some reason although knowing the Fury mob who think they can do anything they please in boxing they probably didn't turn up. 

He seems convinced Wlad will beat Joshua and i think it would be all systems go from the Fury camp then as he'll suddenly fancy the rematch and the huge paycheck. Come back maybe repeat the first win against a near 41 yr old, bank his huge cheque then disappear on the razz again not fulfilling any mandatories or voluntaries. Doubt he'll be as keen if joshua batters Klitschko though.

As you can probably gather iv'e not much time at all for the unsavory Fury clan, any of them and until Tyson has been in a few proper fights with other top 6 heavies i'll reserve judgement on him so called being the best. So far he's proved nothing except his style was too awkward for a 39 year old slowing up giant rather robotic champ and until it's confirmed one way or another question marks hang over how he 'prepared' for that fight and got into such good shape.

All just my opinions of course :lol:

I will say this though if the PEDS thing proves to be wrong i hope he hangs them out to dry.

Edited by tomphil

On 3/9/2017 at 11:51 PM, tomphil said:

A big mouth and big right had, fast hard left jab and superb athletic ability before his lay off. Got his tactics badly wrong v Wlad but only previously lost to Carl Thompson he was top drawer at cruiserweight. Hayes a lot of things but hype job certainly isn't one of them.

Where have you been for the last 2 months Tomphil?

Hype hype and more hype with no end product for Bellew, exactly the same before the Klitschko fight where he never landed 1 meaningful punch, not 1 and I've not even started on his superb athletic ability which resulted in his supposed foot injury against Klitschko and Bellew.

When push came to shove he failed, miserably, but we'll agree to disagree.

Whats this nonsense about Mayweather fighting Conor McGregor? he said yesterday he's officially out of retirement for the fight? at boxing I presume not UFC?

Absolute farce if it goes ahead, Mayweather is one of the best fighters of all time, McGregor belongs on the fairgrounds with the rest of UFC,

55 minutes ago, Gav said:

Hype hype and more hype with no end product for Bellew, exactly the same before the Klitschko fight where he never landed 1 meaningful punch, not 1 and I've not even started on his superb athletic ability which resulted in his supposed foot injury against Klitschko and Bellew.

Whats this nonsense about Mayweather fighting Conor McGregor? he said yesterday he's officially out of retirement for the fight? at boxing I presume not UFC?

Absolute farce if it goes ahead, Mayweather is one of the best fighters of all time, McGregor belongs on the fairgrounds with the rest of UFC,

Iv'e been where i always have been and that's watching plenty boxing not just tuning in for big fights and assuming what i'm seeing is the total of one mans career summed up in one fight.

Like i clearly said Haye isn't everyone's cup of tea as a bloke but to say he's all hype is farcical. Yes he made a tit of himself in this build up but he's done a job on those who bought into it and subsequently bought the fight hoping to see what they saw, think about that for a min.

Career wise Cruiserweight world champ, unified those titles, moved to heavy and won world title, won big fights on foreign soil. Injury robbed him from possibly adding to that. After a farcical second come back fight aside a game effort at 36 years old against a class opponent who's probably hit his peak.

Gobshite maybe but to brush him off all hype is a bit off the mark imo he's probably just reached the end as a top level fighter, happens to them all.

Well I mentioned 2 fights and that'll be what David Hayes remembered for, 2 loses, thats if anyone remembers him at all.

I've watched most of career to be honest, remember a great scrap with the French lad Mamorek? saw him live against Ruiz and remember the Carl Thompson defeat well for the criuiserweight title.

Over hyped and failed when it really mattered, but its all about opinions pal.

Edited by Gav

21 hours ago, Gav said:

The possibility of at least an 8 figure payday will negate any farcical notions surrounding the fight. I'd fight either of them with one hand tied behind my back for a fraction of that money.

I think to label the UFC (by UFC I assume you mean the pseudo-sport of mixed martial arts) 'the fairgrounds' is a little bit puerile, these are skilled fighters (generally), certainly at the highest level.

Multiple kickboxing, muay thai, BJJ, taekwondo, judo, wrestling champions, olympic medallists etc compete in MMA.

Ronaldo Souza and Fabricio Werdum each earned 2 gold medals (plus numerous silver and bronze) in the ADCC championships, whilst still being active in MMA. The ADCC championship is probably the most prestigious grappling competition in the world, besides from the Olympics. Watching guys like this translate these skills into an MMA bout is really impressive.

2 hours ago, donnermeat said:

The possibility of at least an 8 figure payday will negate any farcical notions surrounding the fight. I'd fight either of them with one hand tied behind my back for a fraction of that money.

I think to label the UFC (by UFC I assume you mean the pseudo-sport of mixed martial arts) 'the fairgrounds' is a little bit puerile, these are skilled fighters (generally), certainly at the highest level.

Multiple kickboxing, muay thai, BJJ, taekwondo, judo, wrestling champions, olympic medallists etc compete in MMA.

Ronaldo Souza and Fabricio Werdum each earned 2 gold medals (plus numerous silver and bronze) in the ADCC championships, whilst still being active in MMA. The ADCC championship is probably the most prestigious grappling competition in the world, besides from the Olympics. Watching guys like this translate these skills into an MMA bout is really impressive.

Being a big fan of the Queensberry Rules I may have been a little over top with the fairground analogy donner.

My experience of watching UFC is rather limited, but from what I've seen its very much hit and hope, with most fighters gasping for breath after 2 rounds if it goes that far.

Not my thing at all, but agree that money talks and will probably ensure this fight does go ahead, sells out and makes both men even more obscenely richer than they currently are.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Being a big fan of the Queensberry Rules I may have been a little over top with the fairground analogy donner.

My experience of watching UFC is rather limited, but from what I've seen its very much hit and hope, with most fighters gasping for breath after 2 rounds if it goes that far.

Not my thing at all, but agree that money talks and will probably ensure this fight does go ahead, sells out and makes both men even more obscenely richer than they currently are.

Fair enough Gav. Maybe i went a bit over the top myself because to be fair I've seen some shocking MMA bouts and some of the fighters, mainly the ones from a grappling background, really do hit and hope, swing for the fences etc. Some of their technique is rather poor like turning their wrists when punching and poor head movement (I'm looking at you Ronda Rousey). Obviously they will never get to the same standard as someone that only trains in boxing, which is why I can't see McGregor getting anywhere near Floyd, because if they do fight it will be under boxing rules only.

For what it's worth, I think it's a bit of a silly potential match up myself, that really proves nothing either way, whoever wins.

Triple G versus Jacobs this weekend is an interesting fight. Jacobs a natural middle who can bang and GGG taking a few shots last time out v Brook. Can't see past Golovkin getting the job done in 6 but he'll meet someone who'll stand up to him sooner or later so this might be a test for him.

On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 4:47 PM, tomphil said:

Triple G versus Jacobs this weekend is an interesting fight. Jacobs a natural middle who can bang and GGG taking a few shots last time out v Brook. Can't see past Golovkin getting the job done in 6 but he'll meet someone who'll stand up to him sooner or later so this might be a test for him.

Good call Tomps. Jacobs did well and i thought a draw would have been fair.

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:12 AM, tomphil said:

25 stone by his own admission yesterday so if that's looking good in training i' going to get on the pies lol

The hearing was supposed to be in Feb but it seems to be being kept quiet for some reason although knowing the Fury mob who think they can do anything they please in boxing they probably didn't turn up. 

He seems convinced Wlad will beat Joshua and i think it would be all systems go from the Fury camp then as he'll suddenly fancy the rematch and the huge paycheck. Come back maybe repeat the first win against a near 41 yr old, bank his huge cheque then disappear on the razz again not fulfilling any mandatories or voluntaries. Doubt he'll be as keen if joshua batters Klitschko though.

As you can probably gather iv'e not much time at all for the unsavory Fury clan, any of them and until Tyson has been in a few proper fights with other top 6 heavies i'll reserve judgement on him so called being the best. So far he's proved nothing except his style was too awkward for a 39 year old slowing up giant rather robotic champ and until it's confirmed one way or another question marks hang over how he 'prepared' for that fight and got into such good shape.

All just my opinions of course :lol:

I will say this though if the PEDS thing proves to be wrong i hope he hangs them out to dry.

25 stone. Tomps the guy is 6 foot 9! When he fights at 18 stone 7 he is stripped right down. He is bound to get heavier between fights, not that I condone his massive beer belly of course.

He has been big for years and no-one has mentioned PEDS. Even now the governing body don't seem to know their ass from their elbow with regards to this. At the moment he is banned for cocaine not PEDS, hearing early in May. (Which confirms he is very unlikely to fight in May as you stated).

Not sure what more Fury could have done thoughout his career. Bitchko avoided him for years forcing him into eliminators, then got his ass whipped on his home turf when they met. Price avoided him, Haye ducked him twice, only Chisora fancied the job and he was easily handled.

At the end of the day the guy is massive and any current heavyweight would have problems with him. We will soon see how poor an ageing Klitchko is when he fights Joshua. Obviously hope Joshua sparks him out as soon as possible but have a funny feeling the fight will surprise one or two, including Joshua.

Meanwhile Fury's trash talk is exactly that. Having listened to Chisora, Whyte, Bellew, Haye, Darry Matthews, Ohara Davies etc lately, it is clear that Fury does nothing that many others believe perfectly acceptable.

Don't know if anyone saw the  Chocolatitio  fight, but it was a belter. Controversial loss for the pound for pound best who will surely get the immediate rematch. The WBC has rules on head clashes, if they cause a cut a point needs to be deducted and only one got deducted when it could have been two. Gonzalez soundly outpunched his opponent across the 12 rounds but lost a majority decision. For me it was a very close fight but Gonzalez deserved the win. Would happily watch the rematch!

I know the lighter weights aren't to everybody's tastes but I would definitely recommend people watch this one.

22 hours ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

25 stone. Tomps the guy is 6 foot 9! When he fights at 18 stone 7 he is stripped right down. He is bound to get heavier between fights, not that I condone his massive beer belly of course.

He has been big for years and no-one has mentioned PEDS. Even now the governing body don't seem to know their ass from their elbow with regards to this. At the moment he is banned for cocaine not PEDS, hearing early in May. (Which confirms he is very unlikely to fight in May as you stated).

Not sure what more Fury could have done thoughout his career. Bitchko avoided him for years forcing him into eliminators, then got his ass whipped on his home turf when they met. Price avoided him, Haye ducked him twice, only Chisora fancied the job and he was easily handled.

At the end of the day the guy is massive and any current heavyweight would have problems with him. We will soon see how poor an ageing Klitchko is when he fights Joshua. Obviously hope Joshua sparks him out as soon as possible but have a funny feeling the fight will surprise one or two, including Joshua.

Meanwhile Fury's trash talk is exactly that. Having listened to Chisora, Whyte, Bellew, Haye, Darry Matthews, Ohara Davies etc lately, it is clear that Fury does nothing that many others believe perfectly acceptable.

Sorry pal not wanting to fall out lol but our opinions vary massively on Fury. Your a bit blinded as far as he's concerned for some reason but that's up to thee.

Guys a jioke from a family of dodgy @#/?s and if he's been bashing the coke chances are he's been on PEDS as well. Got Wlad at the right time then ducked rematch AND any mandatories by going on the @#/? which no doubt added to his mental problems. He's a bum B)

Edited by tomphil

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 0:20 AM, tomphil said:

Sorry pal not wanting to fall out lol but our opinions vary massively on Fury. Your a bit blinded as far as he's concerned for some reason but that's up to thee.

Guys a jioke from a family of dodgy @#/?s and if he's been bashing the coke chances are he's been on PEDS as well. Got Wlad at the right time then ducked rematch AND any mandatories by going on the @#/? which no doubt added to his mental problems. He's a bum B)

A bit blinded? The guy is undefeated. 25-0.

Until such time as someone gives him a decent fight I'll use my own judgement over those that think he is crap.

Bums don't win Heavyweight titles. I dont get carried away with the personal stuff surrounding Fury, just focus on his ability and skill set. His size alone suggests he would be a handful for most as they always find out.