BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

14 hours ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

A bit blinded? The guy is undefeated. 25-0.

Until such time as someone gives him a decent fight I'll use my own judgement over those that think he is crap.

Bums don't win Heavyweight titles. I dont get carried away with the personal stuff surrounding Fury, just focus on his ability and skill set. His size alone suggests he would be a handful for most as they always find out.

Pulled it off v 'the man' but that's been quite common in heavyweight div down history and not many were nearly 40. Before that most of his performances were mediocre as were his fitness levels and his most notable victory was against a rather disinterested Chisora. Apart from that he's beaten no one so the 25 - 0 isn't exactly what it's cracked up to be. He struggled to get past some rather average domestic heavies and blown up cruisers.

Yes his sheer size will obviously always mean he's a handful and as long as he can avoid being smashed on the chin he'll probably remain unbeaten. I've seen signs in him though that a few decent blows and I reckon he'll fold, he's been decked twice and a couple of other times his legs have stiffened and his eyes wide eye almost like Audley. He's never been in a brawl with a proper heavy and if he'd had the rematch he'd have probably had to have another fight or two by now and not against whoever they picked so we'd have a better picture. He'd also never shown much sigh of the rapid light on his toes movement he suddenly was able to conjure up against Wlad, a robotic opponent.

Like I said i'm probably a bit bias because I hare the Fury mob they think they can do whatever they want and fight when they want and i'll file Saunders down in that as well. I've been following HW boxing for about 30 years and although no expert at all he's got it all to prove and in a very moderate era indeed but some just delight in him beating the man, disappearing on the lash the hiding behind this 'lineal champ' rollocks.

My prediction on all this is that he's only showing signs of coming back now because he's convinced Wlad will beat AJ and he'll be eyeing the rematch and more importantly another 10 million cheque. If AJ wins Fury will suddenly lose interest again i'd wager, it's all about the money for him, can't blame him I suppose, for me though he takes the whizz but some just lap it up.

Anyway it's a bit like the Venky debate, until he proves otherwise you'll have him down as the mythical champ and i'll file him with the Akinwande's.

Edited by tomphil

21 hours ago, tomphil said:

Pulled it off v 'the man' but that's been quite common in heavyweight div down history and not many were nearly 40. Before that most of his performances were mediocre as were his fitness levels and his most notable victory was against a rather disinterested Chisora. Apart from that he's beaten no one so the 25 - 0 isn't exactly what it's cracked up to be. He struggled to get past some rather average domestic heavies and blown up cruisers.

Yes his sheer size will obviously always mean he's a handful and as long as he can avoid being smashed on the chin he'll probably remain unbeaten. I've seen signs in him though that a few decent blows and I reckon he'll fold, he's been decked twice and a couple of other times his legs have stiffened and his eyes wide eye almost like Audley. He's never been in a brawl with a proper heavy and if he'd had the rematch he'd have probably had to have another fight or two by now and not against whoever they picked so we'd have a better picture. He'd also never shown much sigh of the rapid light on his toes movement he suddenly was able to conjure up against Wlad, a robotic opponent.

Like I said i'm probably a bit bias because I hare the Fury mob they think they can do whatever they want and fight when they want and i'll file Saunders down in that as well. I've been following HW boxing for about 30 years and although no expert at all he's got it all to prove and in a very moderate era indeed but some just delight in him beating the man, disappearing on the lash the hiding behind this 'lineal champ' rollocks.

My prediction on all this is that he's only showing signs of coming back now because he's convinced Wlad will beat AJ and he'll be eyeing the rematch and more importantly another 10 million cheque. If AJ wins Fury will suddenly lose interest again i'd wager, it's all about the money for him, can't blame him I suppose, for me though he takes the whizz but some just lap it up.

Anyway it's a bit like the Venky debate, until he proves otherwise you'll have him down as the mythical champ and i'll file him with the Akinwande's.

Mythical champ? Lol. You are taking this a tad far. Why do you think Klitchko avoided him for years! Nothing mythical about getting into contention then winning the belts.

Saw a video the other day when Fury was 22. Said he had sparred with Joshua then an amateur aged 20. Said Joshua gave him a going over for a few rounds and predicted he would be one to watch.

.onI'd like to see evidence of Wlad avoiding him ?  Because it didn't happen and I think most of Fury's stuff when he was rising up was tailored for him to meet Haye hence the blown up cruisers he was pitched in with ( and had a bit of bother with ;) ).   There was no logical reason he would have been put in with Klitschko until he'd earned the right by beating someone of note which was supposed to be Haye but turned out to be Chisora.

Without sifting through his record, holding all the belts Wlad was always going to be busy with genuine mandatories I suppose Something Fury really didn't fancy once he became champ obviously.

Anyway we'll put this on ice for 18 months and see what happens in regards to the big guy........ not much though I don't think B)

Edited by tomphil

Lets hope Hughie wins against Parker. ;) Two Fury world champs will cheer everyone up.

I know he got dropped against Cunningham in the 2nd round. But then inflicted his first ever stoppage in round 7.

When Fury beat Cunningham he became IBF mandatory, 7th with Box Rec, 6th with the WBC, 5th with the WBO, but then lost his place as Haye cancelled on him twice. Then the scheduled Chisora fight for the European and British was also a WBO eliminator, but then Chisora cancelled on him with a fractured hand.

Truth be told, Fury lost the best part of year and a half of his career due to Haye and Chisora cancelling fights. Three wasted training camps, paying sparring partners, no income, whilst Haye @#/? him about.

So Fury was mandatory for Klitchko's IBF in April 2013. But fought Klitchko in November 2015.

2 and 1/2 years later! Meanwhile Klitchko fought Pieneta, then Leapai, then Pulev then Jennings instead of Fury. I don't blame him either. Why take on someone as hard to handle as Fury when you can stick to your formula of grab and hold against much smaller blokes with home town judges monitoring it all?

As predicted, once he faced and  fought the bigger guy it all unravelled for Klitchko. Strange how he collapsed mentally as well. Pretty clear as shown above that he didn't fancy any of Fury, at anytime and it showed in his unnatural performance, frightened to death.

Decent fighter Fury. All will be revealed.

Edited by onlyonejackwalker

Crolla talking about moving up in weight to have a pop at Burns.

Haye thinks he will be fit to fight again come November.

The two Liams have an interesting looking fight coming up.

Congrats to Sal Yufei at the lower weights.

Looking forward to Box Nation / BT kicking in with some decent fights over the next few months.

If Fury can be arsed he's the best heavy weight for a long time. He's big, agile, can take a punch and can give one. Theres a reason Haye, Chisora and Klitchko dodged him for so long. The best version of Tyson clears up the entire division in 12 months. The worst version of Tyson is off his nut on coke, depressed and 30 stone.

23 minutes ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

Crolla talking about moving up in weight to have a pop at Burns.

Haye thinks he will be fit to fight again come November.

The two Liams have an interesting looking fight coming up.

Congrats to Sal Yufei at the lower weights.

Looking forward to Box Nation / BT kicking in with some decent fights over the next few months.

Crolla has very little option unfortunately, Linares tactically beat him the first time (although it was close) and tactically demolished him the second time. Great fighter, lots of heart, top person but not quite on the elite level Linares is - not that many are. Going up against Burns gives him a big English fight, Danny Garcia next for Linares in a real blockbuster Vegas night. 

Haye's a waster, a talker. Good fighter way back then but even if he is ready for November, he won't be sensible and take a warm up fight - he'll end up being battered by Fury on his way back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

If Fury can be arsed he's the best heavy weight for a long time. He's big, agile, can take a punch and can give one. Theres a reason Haye, Chisora and Klitchko dodged him for so long. The best version of Tyson clears up the entire division in 12 months. The worst version of Tyson is off his nut on coke, depressed and 30 stone.

Can't argue with too much of that. Fancy Fury against Wilder and Parker, but think the Joshua fight could go either way.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Crolla has very little option unfortunately, Linares tactically beat him the first time (although it was close) and tactically demolished him the second time. Great fighter, lots of heart, top person but not quite on the elite level Linares is - not that many are. Going up against Burns gives him a big English fight, Danny Garcia next for Linares in a real blockbuster Vegas night. 

Haye's a waster, a talker. Good fighter way back then but even if he is ready for November, he won't be sensible and take a warm up fight - he'll end up being battered by Fury on his way back.

Linares fought the wrong fight first time round and tried to take Crolla out early doors. This helped Crolla considerably. He reverted to his boxing late in he fight to take it away from Crolla frist time round. It was always going to be tough for Crolla if Linares boxed from the word go.

Saw Crolla lose to Dirty Derry a few years ago. Am amazed in hindsight he has achieved so much as I always thought he was pretty average and it is clear he has made the very best of his abilities.

Garcia v Linares should be a great fight.

Murray v Rosado at middle-weight should be a good battle!

Hayes a bit deluded now sadly and he can't sit still for two mins which won't help  but I think he needs the cash so he'll rush back and probably end up the same way if it's good opposition then his leg will be knackered for good.   Maybe he can get away with fighting another nobody for a few quid in his first fight back though seeing as he had a bad injury. It's a gimme really so i'm sure that will appeal.

Burns beats Crolla for me, good fighter Anthony but not in that top bracket I don't think, got a schooling on Sat night by a real top guy.

Parker I think will have too much for the other suspected roider and the top guy around is Wilder he's kept going and kept winning although he's been steered away from the other very top guys. I think that's been more about trying to create a couple of super fights to maximize the most money from than anything else though. Neverheless his record suggests he's the no 1.

19 hours ago, tomphil said:

Hayes a bit deluded now sadly and he can't sit still for two mins which won't help  but I think he needs the cash so he'll rush back and probably end up the same way if it's good opposition then his leg will be knackered for good.   Maybe he can get away with fighting another nobody for a few quid in his first fight back though seeing as he had a bad injury. It's a gimme really so i'm sure that will appeal.

Burns beats Crolla for me, good fighter Anthony but not in that top bracket I don't think, got a schooling on Sat night by a real top guy.

Parker I think will have too much for the other suspected roider and the top guy around is Wilder he's kept going and kept winning although he's been steered away from the other very top guys. I think that's been more about trying to create a couple of super fights to maximize the most money from than anything else though. Neverheless his record suggests he's the no 1.

I doubt Parker will knock Fury out and fancy Fury to win on points.

Wilder's last 9 fights have been against.

Fraudley Harrison - Liakhovich - Malik Scott - Stiverne - Eric Molina - Duhaupas - Szpilka - Arreola - Washington.

Three of these I have never heard of! Molina got bounced by AJ in 3. Arreola had lost twice for the title before. Harrison was useless and immediately retired.

Wilder has fought a succession of complete no hopers and there is no way you can pin that number one label on him yet.

His CV still stacks up better than anything on Fury's pre Wlad though so just because he pulled it off in that one doesn't make him the man either. History is littered with one off heavyweight champs that's all i'm saying.  I've never bought into the 'he's the man because he beat the man' stuff proper champs defend the belts not run off and hide after their partying ways have left them out of shape and nursing long term Monday blues.

Not sure on Parker but then again i'm not sure of Hughie either (surprise). Just going off the fact Parker can bang a bit.

Just basing the Wilder thing on the fact he's been around a while and kept beating what's been put in front of him. He's been the most active and he's defended his belt five times. Outside of Klitchsko he's the main man on paper surely.

32 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Just basing the Wilder thing on the fact he's been around a while and kept beating what's been put in front of him. He's been the most active and he's defended his belt five times. Outside of Klitchsko he's the main man on paper surely.

He keeps getting ridiculed for his opponents. Watching AJ smash up the last three American bums has me wondering. I know he has a big right hand, but he telegraphs that somewhat and I am surprised people keep falling for it.

I think you have summed it up earlier. Fury hasn't fought since he won, Joshua keeps fighting lesser lads, Parker is new on the scene and Wilder has avoided the top boys wracking up some coin.

It's all to play for and hard to categorise anyone as the best.

22 hours ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

Can't argue with too much of that. Fancy Fury against Wilder and Parker, but think the Joshua fight could go either way.

Still convinced Fury beats any heavyweight around, pretty easily. 

Parker isn't elite level and only has a belt because Fury gave up so many titles - it wouldn't surprise me if Hughie goes over there and wins now his Dad is allowed in the country. Will be a rough crowd, as long as he doesn't let it go to points he will come back a world champ for me. 
Wilder has all the attributes but is being managed away from the top fights for some reason by his team. As above, his last 9 fights aren't the type of fights that make a champion.

At the time I was happy Tyson did manage to take the belts off Klit (he was holding too many hostage over in Germany), but looking back now it has meant that people who aren't at the elite level have ended up with belts. 

One thing you've got to keep in mind is Wilder is quick on his feet around the ring and should negate Fury's movement which everyone now goes on about but he had a 39 yr old robot shuffling after him who was just looking to put one down his pipe. That won't happen v the likes of Wilder or AJ they'll pin him down a hell of a lot quicker so we'd see how he actually fought guys nearly as big as himself big punches and quick hands.

All the questions remain unanswered with him yet. It's crazy but would be really interesting and I said after he beat Wlad that he'd beat Wilder but get nailed by AJ, I also thought at the time that Wilder would nail AJ. All about styles and I don't think there is one of them outright the best of this current era who will dominate the rest like previous times it's a real mixed bag. We'll have to see what version of Fury comes back if he actually does, could be he'll just go in bigger than before and try to bully his way around people. It'll take a lot of time and a hell of a lot of dedication to get near the shape he was in for that last fight. That was about 3 years in the making when he'd got a bit of momentum and big fights were on the horizon so it kept him focused despite the cancellations.

Lets not forget the assisted methods which may have helped him get in shape/lose weight, take his mind off things. They won't be an option this time around.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Ricky Burns beaten again it's time he hung them up now he's been living on a prayer for a while. Some dubious decisions up there and Hattons lad got robbed but no hiding place this time he lost about 10 rounds.

Great career and achievements but no punch power and his tank has been near empty for a while although he's as tough as they come. Crolla and Flanagan would both out work him now imo when they probably wouldn't have a few years ago. Times up but no doubt fast Eddie and co will rinse a few more quid out of him.

Indongo is some fighter though, where has he been hiding to come to the party so late ?

Edited by tomphil

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised it hasn't got much attention on here, maybe too many thinking it's another mismatch and an easy night for AJ.  Can't decide myself I think he either blows him away or he has big probs on his hands.  Could well turn into an ugly maul after a few rounds.