BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Joshua did so well to get through end of round 5-7, settle himself, then to come out swinging in the 11th. Fair old cut above Klitschko's eye by the end. I bet Vitali got some Nam esque flashbacks from his Lewis fight seeing that.

I think wilder will be looking on and seeing pound signs fighting over here and take confidence from the fact he's been put down and was hurt. 

Thoroughly delighted for Joshua ! what a frame ! what a boxer ! ...just hope his hunger is maintained for many a year to come in order that he becomes a legendary boxer. 

Edited by JAL

That was the best fight I have seen.  Reminded me of the epic Eubank V Benn fights in the 90s.  No quarter given.  Every credit to AJ and he can only improve for that experience.  The heavyweight division needed that.  Hopefully Fury can get in shape to take on AJ.  Meanwhile Wilder can dismantle that annoying Bellew fella. 

12 hours ago, north_ender said:

Amazing fight and shows boxers don't have to show this weird faux-hatred before fights for the fight to be a great one.

Agreed. Regardless of how the fight turned out I thoroughly enjoyed the buildup to this. Both real men who were totally respectful and still put on one hell of a fight.

That said some of my mates were saying before the fight they missed the other type of build up. But fear not when Fury/Bellew/Haye et al next step into the ring we'll no doubt be back to the usual stuff like the coroner better bring a shovel for when I've finished with you and once I've smashed your face in I'll eat your children guff. Followed by best mates after the fight. 

Just got back. What a fight!

Get AJ vs Wilder while Fury has a warm up fight and gets back to weight. Then Bellew vs Parker - on the promise that when Bellew wins (Parker is a joke - one of the least qualified world champions ever, he's basically admitted he knows that and wants to cash it in) he retires and leaves a belt vacant. 

Then AJ vs Fury for all the belts at the start of next year. 

Cracking fight and atmosphere and of course answered plenty questions about both fighters. You can also see why Fury ducked the rematch as that version of Klitschko takes that twit out. Hope Wlad retires now there's nowhere else to go but what a class act he's been and a credit to the sport. As so often in boxing it takes a heroic defeat to finally get some credit from some quarters meanwhile a complete knob who pulled off a smash and grab after making a fool of himself turning up to press conferences off his face and has never had a decent toe to toe with another good HW in his career has some rating him as the best around. Laugh out loud !!!!

Get it on soon as I say then winner v Wilder but over here which I don't think Wilder will go for as he's another that's been well steered around.

10 hours ago, J*B said:

Just got back. What a fight!

Get AJ vs Wilder while Fury has a warm up fight and gets back to weight. Then Bellew vs Parker - on the promise that when Bellew wins (Parker is a joke - one of the least qualified world champions ever, he's basically admitted he knows that and wants to cash it in) he retires and leaves a belt vacant. 

Then AJ vs Fury for all the belts at the start of next year. 

How was the atmosphere? Sounded good on TV. Went to Froch vs Groves which was decent but Saturday seemed another level but as a spectacle it wasn't great as we just watched the big screen the entire time pretty much didn't even glance over at the ring.     

Maybe someone on here knows but I can't fathom how Joshua was already IBF champion fighting Klitschko who lost all his belts vs Fury and hasn't fought since but Joshua now seems to be WBA champion as well. How's that happen?

Fury got stripped of the IBF straight away because he had agreed a rematch with Wlad instead of a mandatory. Two bums fought for it and the winner Charles Martin could'nt resist Hearns offer so he got served up to Joshua who battered him in 2. Same problem is now set to happen to Joshua. Then obviously Fury had to relinquish all the other belts before he was stripped over his drug related problems so I think the WBA became available for this fight once it was agreed seeing as Klitschko was robbed of the chance to win it back after holding it for years. Seems fair enough to me although the IBF were out of order with Fury.

Have to say I've been to countless live fights but never seen a crowd react like that to a KO. It was like England scoring a last minute winner v Scotland or something, amazing. We also stayed in the same gaff as the Sky team and Nelson, Barker, Froch etc were all in the bar Sat night. Gentleman to a man they all were and such a contrast to lower level footballers who are often classless crude knobs if you happen to bump into them. It was a shame Adam Booth came and sent them all to bed !

Edited by tomphil

Ah so basically WBA was vacant not Klitschko's to lose as such. I also gather Joshua is also the IBO champion (must confess I didn't even know there was an IBO). So he's now the IBF, WBA and IBO champion. Wilder is WBC and Parker is WBO. Then there's that bizarre ring magazine title which Fury still has for some reason. 

My old man in his head only recognises one belt. Can't remember which one but the WBA rings a bell. No idea why but there was probably only one belt when he was a kid therefore any subsequent heavyweight belt is irrelevant to him like winning the ldv vans or charity shield. An extreme view point perhaps but I do think with all that lot there's far too many titles.

It is getting daft with all the belts now and they've created something else called the 'super' title or something which was up for grabs last night. It makes it difficult now for 1 guy to dominate but I suppose that's the idea and the more big title fights the more £££££ and dollars I suppose. I always thought of the WBC green strap as the most coveted then the IBF but in previous eras it was probably the WBA & WBO.

Now they have the IBO amongst others and also these interim titles like the WBC silver belt and such like. Plain daft but it's big business.

There was some new thing up for grabs Sat night I'm certain although whether it's an actual new belt or just a one off I don't know. Don't take much notice of the politics side of as not many big fights seem to get made with the titles in mind now it's the PPV etc they are most bothered about.

On 4/30/2017 at 2:10 PM, matt83 said:

Agreed. Regardless of how the fight turned out I thoroughly enjoyed the buildup to this. Both real men who were totally respectful and still put on one hell of a fight.

That said some of my mates were saying before the fight they missed the other type of build up. But fear not when Fury/Bellew/Haye et al next step into the ring we'll no doubt be back to the usual stuff like the coroner better bring a shovel for when I've finished with you and once I've smashed your face in I'll eat your children guff. Followed by best mates after the fight. 

Yeah, I understand some people like it. I personally just find it a bit cringey how they act like enemies then they are mates again straight after the fight. It all comes across as a bit fake.

On 01/05/2017 at 9:06 AM, matt83 said:

How was the atmosphere? Sounded good on TV. Went to Froch vs Groves which was decent but Saturday seemed another level but as a spectacle it wasn't great as we just watched the big screen the entire time pretty much didn't even glance over at the ring.     

Maybe someone on here knows but I can't fathom how Joshua was already IBF champion fighting Klitschko who lost all his belts vs Fury and hasn't fought since but Joshua now seems to be WBA champion as well. How's that happen?

Incredible atmosphere - much better than England games. 95% of the crowd where behind AJ so made real noise in the 5th / 11th. Had quite decent seats because we had the ring and big screens both in eyeline. Essentially unless you are front of the lower tier, everyone is watching the screens - so its like watching sky sports, with atmosphere. Still, biggest fight in UK history, i'd have been happy to go without the screens.

• 2 weeks later...

So McGregor has come out and said he has signed the contract to fight Mayweather. Could well be grandstanding by McGregor to get Mayweather to sign or just to boost his and the UFCs profile. If it does go ahead I can't see anything other than McGregor getting the ears boxed off him. It's like the world ping pong champion asking Djokovic for a game of tennis. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

4th world title shot must be last chance saloon for Groves if he doesn't win surely. As for Brook's fight I've just been watching this Spence on YouTube he definitely looks a slick operator Brook will be up against it and could very well lose his IBF belt. (Although I'll add the caveat going off a highlights reel I could probably make myself look half decent). 

Good win for Groves, looked like he was going to be overwhelmed after a good first round. Not really too keen on the bloke but was genuinely pleased when he won.

Cannot stand the guy but Groves deserves his title at last and just like Bruno proved if you keep going eventually you'll come across a limited beatable opponent in a title fight. McCuigan has done a good job with Groves, the tools were always there and George might reign for a while now until he comes against a top notch fighter who can punch.

Very pleased for Groves, on the fringes of world class for a while and has now achieved his ultimate ambition. Much improved under Shane Mcguigan and acts, looks and talks with increasing maturity. A handful for anyone at that level, unless Ward comes back down in weight. Degale having shoulder surgery out till Xmas. Smith fighting Dirrell away from home, but I fancy him to get the job done. Abraham fighting Eubank Junior at Super Middle. As long as Eubank wins some cracking fights to be made at that weight in the UK.

Well done to Joshua as others have mentioned. Especially seeing as Klitchko came to fight. Interesting how his ass totally fell out against Fury. Guess credit to Fury for the physcology employed prior to that fight as he did a real number on the former champ. Learnt a lot about Joshua in that fight, some good, some not so good. Every other heavyweight will have taken note at how easy Joshua gassed, his immaturity celebrating the win after the first knockdown and the fact he is often very square on with ponderous feet. Struggled to get his jab going at times as well.

Like Fury said, "Joshua has just gone life and death with a guy who couldn't even lay a finger on me". Don't fall for the Matchroom spin, Fury is just as likely to jab Joshua's head off for 12 rounds as Joshua is likely to land his big right hand on Fury. If it does go to points there is only one winner and I am genuinely looking forward to that fight if it ever happens. Egg = face = learning curves.