BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

On 25/03/2018 at 11:54, matt83 said:

This ko last night is as conclusive as I’ve ever seen. 

So much blood around the head when he landed after the KO, I honestly thought he was dead. 

Surprised the ref didn' come in a bit earlier, the guy hadn' thrown a punch for 2 rounds, and was barely keeping many out either.

• Like 1

As a pretty unknowledgeable fan of boxing how is Joshua going to get on tonight? 

The bookies and pundits seem to have it as a relatively routine win through 7-9 rounds so is this Parker fella to be written off so easily. He is a world champion, wbo I recall but there’s so many, so is he worthy of the belt or another bum that’s blagged one like that Browne from last week.

I noticed from the press conference he reckons he’s got the best chin in the business but has he ever been hit by the likes of a Joshua or a wilder. He’s also confident (but then again all boxers are).

I think generally aj’s very managed and media savvy. But I do really like him after a fight because adrenaline is pumping and he’s quite terse and not as careful with his comments.

Are you interested in conquering America? NO. Brits have always had to go out there I’m the unified champion they can come here. ??

• Like 2

As a person, I can't stand AJ, but i gotta say, I did like that comment. He's the holder of 3 of the 4 major belts, why should he go over to Vegas? Let Wilder come to Wembley and try and challenge AJ on his home turf. As much as I don't like AJ as a person, he's a very good boxer and my money would be on him to do Wilder in the Uk. Have it in the US and I can see a dodgy points desicions in favour of Wilder winning it.

• Like 1

Shocking fight, the referee was one of the worst I've ever seen, as soon as it looked like there was going to be a bit of action he jumped in way too early.

Not sure if I'd blame either fighter, Joshua quickly figured out he could win risk free on points by keeping Parker at long range on tbe end of his jab. Parker showed great durability but the only chance he had of winning was by getting up close to Joshua and the referee intervened whenever he tried.

Also hated the pre fight razmatazz with all the pyrotechnics going off while Joshus preened to the crowd. There was even a bloody x on the walkway indicating where he should stop and pose. If then after that you dont really perform you end up looking a bit of a tit. Eddie Hearn is turning it into the WWE. A normal basic ring walk is plenty dramatic enough.

The hype around it is painful these days but the Hearns deserve a lot of credit for rebranding the sport in typical SKY style but a bit like the Prem the razzamatazz will begin to wear off soon unless you regularly get blockbuster fights to match it..

As someone who attends it's both enthralling and annoying in equal measure because it's a great atmosphere but just about everything is being geared to the tv audience. Last night for example they asked the crowd to boo Wilders name about 3 times until it was satisfactorily loud enough, probably for the edited version of the broadcast.

Very sad :o

No MMA thread and can't be bothered starting one.

McGregor's a maniac but what he just did was hilarious and showed he's an extremely loyal friend. Those resenting his actions probably just wish they had the guts to do something like that. Its funny people getting all moralistic about men who choose to fight in cages. Trash talk and anti-social behaviour sells Boxing and UFC. Its certainly the type of thing that gets my interest. Mike Tyson being the ultimate example in the past.

Would I have done something like that in his position? Perhaps not but I'm not someone who has proficient cage fighting skills. Believe me there's been times where I've wanted to go after certain people (not cage fighters tho lol) but obviously ending up in jail isn't ideal. Plus there's that voice in the back of your head asking if certain things (like some of the past protest ideas on here, etc) are worth it. Especially if others won't do similar.

Got to agree it is a bit odd when people go all moral about guys who's whole lives revolve around fighting. Never been into UFC etc although I know they are highly trained and skilled but to me it's just fighting like you would outside a pub. 

McGregor though has never come across as anything more than a coked up publicity junkie, why not settle the dispute in private ?   It's either staged or he's just lost the plot trying hard to live up to his 'notorious' tag.  A stretch inside will see just how notorious he really is.

As for Mike Tyson all the trash stuff came as he career went into decline but in his pomp he didn't really go into it he didn't need to people were happy enough for him to just do the business in the ring. In fact he was notorious as a man of few words in press conferences 'i'm just here to fight' was his usual reply.  Made up for it somewhat in later years though :lol:

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

I think McGregor is gone too hard on the Colombian marching powder. 

What he achieved has been phenomenal, but not defending his titles taints his legacy big time. Having said that, I can understand him not wanting to do a grueling 6 month fight camp with 100 million in the bank. 

I would love to see him come back and beat Khabib all the same 

Can't take every instance of anti-social behaviour so seriously especially something like this. It's not something that has had any direct impact on me. I was arguing with Abbey (that happened a lot on here but its actually quite infrequent these days) who claimed he was trying to kill people but that wasn't the case at all. Remember the guy who flattened numerous buildings in his hometown with a steel reinforced bulldozer? That was so over the top it was funny. OK some of the people took a financial hit because of what he did (some of them did screw him over hence why he did it in the first place) but it's not like he smashed into a crowded school. Therefore what's the point in getting upset about it? I have enough general annoyances as it is but some of those things are everyday stuff or happen from time to time. 

Rightly or wrongly this is the type of thing that is likely to get my interest. I'm an extremely casual viewer of UFC (certainly knew who Brock Lesnar was but I didn't even watch all his fights) and didn't even know who most of the people on that card were. I didn't watch it either so aside from reading the names (which I've pretty much forgotten already) they haven't gotten my attention. Obviously I knew who McGregor was. I don't watch violence for the sake of violence. It either has to be a major grudge match or something like a superfight between 2 unbeaten fighters. UFC fighters put their health on the line and people pay (or don't in some cases) to watch so forgive me if I'm not gonna complain about a bit of anti-social behaviour. OK the majority of people don't watch hoping to see someone die and that hasn't happened in UFC. I used to watch F1 occasionally (haven't in years) and often hoped for a big pileup at the start of the race. I wanted to see some carnage BUT not for anyone to be killed or seriously injured. Something trivial like a bloody nose wouldn't have made it any better or worse.

If I watch a football match with no preference who wins its always good to see some controversy for either side. Of course VAR (at least people don't seem to refer to it as "technology" in every sentence now) has taken away some of that at the top level. That's why I don't like it. Controversy is a part of football and it's less entertaining without it. How on earth can people not laugh when you see something like that "ghost goal" at Watford a few years back? I bet even a few Watford fans laughed at the time because it was so ludicrous. It might happen in L1 of course though preferably not to Rovers in which case it would be annoying especially under current circumstances. It wouldn't change my views on VAR though. Of course a "ghost goal" won't happen at the top level and that's the televised football I usually watch. Not very much these days but its more likely I'll watch a Premier League fixture than some National League game.

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 1

Wouldn't be surprised if the McGregor nonsense was part set up that's gone wrong and he's gone way over the top, seems the type judging by the Mayweather nonsense which again was part act by both guys but part serious as in the actual fight bit on the night.

I'll be amazed if Connor doesn't have problems with the dust though, too many rumours and too much odd behaviour. Rehab for that lad not jail.

37 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the McGregor nonsense was part set up that's gone wrong and he's gone way over the top, seems the type judging by the Mayweather nonsense which again was part act by both guys but part serious as in the actual fight bit on the night.

I'll be amazed if Connor doesn't have problems with the dust though, too many rumours and too much odd behaviour. Rehab for that lad not jail.

Don't think that is White's style. UFC are certainly stricter than boxing authorities have been in the past. Obviously fights are "hyped up" somewhat but I don't really think it's been a setup. Of course White hasn't ruled out McGregor returning so if the money is there they will almost certainly do business. Maybe I'm basing some of it from White coming across as somewhat "zero tolerance"  in the past especially when it comes to certain illegalities like hitting referees, etc. The fact he hasn't ruled out McGregor though is telling.

Certainly promotional set ups aren't unheard of. I was annoyed by Haye/Chisora suddenly being all "buddy buddy" after their fight and felt manipulated. I was also angry with myself for not seeing it coming. That said I didn't pay to watch the fight (I did watch it though) so suppose it's hypocritical for me to feel cheated lol. Still feel I'm right about White though. Maybe its not unimaginable to think McGregor set it all up with Namid (or whatever his name is) beforehand without White/UFC being involved. Don't want to get too deep with conspiracy theories though just because of one instance where Haye/Chisora managed to manipulate and get my attention. Normally I wouldn't have cared about that fight. Some boxers are truly crazy though certainly Tyson where "anything could happen" and often did! No wonder he was proclaimed as the king of PPV! Big difference between staging a brawl and biting off a chunk of someones ear though!

Edited by Vinjay17

When things happen in the ring, weigh in or press conference of any fighting sport I don't think anyone can be too surprised.  When it happens away from there in gate crashing style you have to ask why and wonder it it's just partly a publicity stunt.  These guys are fighting men so if they have a serious personal beef there's only one way to sort it and if a pro fight isn't possible then get it on in private for a straightner on the cobbles or something.

No money or publicity in that though ............

Yep another drug cheat allowed back to make millions.

You just watch how fish eyed Frank wraps him in cotton wool until a big money title shot presents himself. I know his first fight will be a gimme and that's fair enough but some of the names I've heard are farcical, people he's already beaten years ago.

They are going to take the piss good style.

A bit of a shot in the dark, but does anyone have any experience with Green Hill boxing gloves? Looking for a new pair and the Tiger model seems to fit most of my criteria, but I'd have to order them online and won't have an opportunity to get a proper feel for them before buying. 

Rumours of Furys comeback opponent possibly a blown up cruiser again no one has heard of but who's ranked by WBO (Warrens pals) or Kevin Johnson a 38 year old who he's already beaten and who Joshua sparked in 2.

Can understand a stiff on his first fight back but the ironic thing is they are talking PPV !!!!!!!!!

All the stick fish eyed Frank and the Fury mob gave to Hearn & Joshua and also Haye lol will make them even bigger hypocrites than they are already thought to be, at least Haye knocked his stiffs out on freeview.

Get ready for the circus act, not forgetting he's coming back off a two year DOPING BAN !