BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Tyson Fury's comeback was an odd fight. The first two rounds were like a school play/pantomime gone wrong where the actors play to the crowd, who were busy having a drunken fight. Tyson was taking the mickey, watching the crowd fight rather than fighting himself. And then the opponent, a cruiser weight pumped up to heavy weight decided 'eff it I'm off home' before the 5th round started.

Fury did not look that sharp, but mentally he seems to have his mojo back and is in a happy place. Frank Warren just said, Windsor Park in August is next.

Quite bizarre.

Was expecting nonsense and antics with it being fury and suppose that’s how it was. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a referee stop a fight to bollock one of the fighters for talking to the crowd before. Then towel going in came as a surprise not that he’d have lasted much longer. I get when a boxer is coming back he needs to fight a pudding to get match fit but surely a higher calibre pudding would have been more useful.  

It did make me chuckle him coming out to Afroman-because I got high. 

It's boxing ffs not pantomime or WWF it was a disgrace but no surprise.  Expect a barrow load more turkeys for Fury whilst he's fighting for money until someone draws him into something with an offer he can't turn down and he gets exposed.

This is Haye mk2 and will have a similar ending, maybe even by the same guy.

To be honest Flanagan v Hooker was the main event, a world title fight and evenly matched on paper.

Fury was a sideshow that probably pulled a few extra in, by the way part the arena was closed off making the capacity just over 10k ish and putting rather a different angle Bunces spin of a sell out crowd.

Edited by tomphil

Needs the doh that's why and the path Hearn was offering would've been over before it began because he was only offering worthwhile opponents in a route to a huge payday.

Warren will feed him some duds, get him up the rankings by stealth so he ends up in pole position for a title shot probably with the WBO or WBA.

Joshua is going to have his hands full trying to juggle all those belts so one might well become vacant in the next 12 months with these lot ready to pounce. Warrens one of the biggest twohats in boxing but he isn't daft.

Like I said earlier though I think it might come off the rails like Haye if a big payday he thinks is a formality suddenly presents itself, just depends how quickly they need money.

Edited by tomphil

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Needs the doh that's why and the path Hearn was offering would've been over before it began because he was only offering worthwhile opponents in a route to a huge payday.

Warren will feed him some duds, get him up the rankings by stealth so he ends up in pole position for a title shot probably with the WBO or WBA.

Joshua is going to have his hands full trying to juggle all those belts so one might well become vacant in the next 12 months with these lot ready to pounce. Warrens one of the biggest twohats in boxing but he isn't daft.

Like I said earlier though I think it might come off the rails like Haye if a big payday he thinks is a formality suddenly presents itself, just depends how quickly they need money.

I'd have gone with Kalle before old fish eyes. Flanagan is the perfect example, unbeaten City fan from Manchester, bidding to become a two weight world champion with a 33-0 record... chucked on a Fury undercard and gets beaten in front of hardly anyone, with nobody giving two shits. Terrible promotion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I'd have gone with Kalle before old fish eyes. Flanagan is the perfect example, unbeaten City fan from Manchester, bidding to become a two weight world champion with a 33-0 record... chucked on a Fury undercard and gets beaten in front of hardly anyone, with nobody giving two shits. Terrible promotion.

Totally agree, Sauerlands are great at rebuilding careers and very underrated promoters in general. There needs to be a viable big European alternative to Mr PPV hype train and 'we do it proper' Frank the gangsters moll.

Look at the job they did with Groves.

Fury calls his own shots though that's why he is where he is imo.

Edited by tomphil

Haye finally retires and it's the right move but years too late as is the norm with top fighters in the HW division.

Those who've panned him in recent years need to seek out and read his full statement in it's entirety. There was no Hayefaking that's for sure just a top fighter who couldn't leave it alone for whatever reasons and thought he could win his biggest fight - v his own crumbling body - time and again but was very wrong.

Brilliant career, top fighter.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Fair play to Manny I had him down as losing possibly by late stoppage due to being over the hill but he's obviously got something left. Just shows the difference though to what passes for top drawer these days and what really is top drawer from previous years when he can take out Matthysee like that at age 39.

Not just the HW division that's full of guys who can't hold a candle the previous top dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Wilder really is a joker and not around this AJ you've got to look deeper the guys been around ten years yet only in his 40th fight did he get a decent dangerous name on his CV.  That was in the shape of near 40 year old Ortiz who's only become relevant in recent years because there is no one else, good fighter and strong but old and slow and that's the only reason probably that Wilder got through him because LO simply ran out of gas real quick all of a sudden.

Looking deeper into Wilder then in the past decade he has at one time or another and often more than once had serious offers to fight Klitschko's, Fury, Chisora, Whyte and now Joshua.  No wonder he gets stick, also sorting fights with guys who've tested positive ( not his fault obv ) but no surprise when they get bans and hey presto he gets an easier option or a rest.

Arranging fights these days is bonkers of course but like I said he's been around a decade now and champ 3 years yet his CV is pathetic and ram packed with 2nd and third level HW's. That'll continue with Breazeale there'll be no Fury fight it's just game playing, if it comes off he'll poleaxe the Fat one but he wouldn't have gone anywhere near him post Wlad before his meltdown / roids ban.

18 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Seems like Wilder may want to take the easy fights in the hope Joshua gets old and slow. Did Mayweather ever fight Manny P before that huge fight where they made billions a couple of years ago?

The other way round I think, Hearn doesn't want his golden goose being met with one of Wilder's flailing right hands.

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

The other way round I think, Hearn doesn't want his golden goose being met with one of Wilder's flailing right hands.

Neither of them wants to go to the others back yard first it's as simple as that I think but the public toing and froing is farcical now and makes me think a lot of it is just publicity to keep bigging up the fight.

It's a risky business playing around like this in the HW division to keep delaying it, making money from so called routine fights inbetween and trying to build the fight even more, one big shot, slip or cut and either could unexpectedly fall off their perch and then it means far less if anything at all.  Ask Tyson, Lewis etc even Ali !

Maybe I'm biased as I was a calzghe fan, and all the big yank stars avoided him, but Wilder and his agent seems a bigger Billy bullsh-tter than them. AJ has fought V Klitschko at least whilst Wilder is happy facing bums in front of biased judges in the USA. He gives it the big I am with offering stupid deals with a 24 hour deadline but never backs it up. Wilder is the bad tempered ladybird of boxing.

• Like 2

If you've watched Wilder closely you'll notice he's been quite quiet down the years when his no 1 contenders or other champs have been between bouts yet the min they've signed for other fights his mouth goes into overdrive. He's been very well guided between dangerous fights down the years whereas Joshua whatever anyone thinks of him has fought for belts and mandatories from early in his career. Doesn't matter on the actual quality of the oppo he's at least fulfilling his obligations similar to what Klitschko did I just hope he doesn't become as robotic.

I do believe Wilder wants this fight he's nowhere else to go really but I do firmly believe he won't take it first in the UK and he'll do everything he can, as he has to avoid that. Similar with AJ to be fair. Wilder is the one losing out though he's older, further down the path and fighting for a lot less and has zero credible opponents, the Fury fight is pure fantasy just for his publicity drive and another boring chance to mouth off about Joshua, Hearn etc.

Joshua's path is pretty much stealthily plotted for the next couple of years without Deontay, big money fights, big crowds and less risk on paper IF he keeps winning of course and the Fury fight in that lot is a 100% possibility IF Tyson really wants it.

• 2 weeks later...

Another decent bill at a very rainy Windsor Park last night, rounded off by a classic display of boxing by Carl Frampton against an outclassed Aussie Luke Jackson. Frampton quickly realised Jackson couldn't hurt him and bust him up with skill and accuracy, superb technically, very good display, a great watch.

Moving to Fury........you have to be asking questions about him fighting 2 bums and jumping straight into a Vegas world title fight against Wilder. Great for Fury, even better for Wilder who should win and both men will pocket millions, then repeat over here next summer, I'm already bored.....

Back in the real world Frampton Vrs Warrington should be a cracker, Warren said the fights made and I'd certainly pay good money to watch that. Both men can sell out home stadiums, so it will be interesting to see where the fights held.

Edited by Gav

I heard some strong rumours the Fury comeback was mainly money motivated he's had 2 and half years inactivity and behind the scenes fought a very expensive legal battle to stop the Klitschko victory being struck from his record etc because of the nandrolone - sorry wild boar.

He's fighting nothing more than exhibition fights to shake off the rust and earn a few quid whilst remaining out of harms way ready to jump in for a big money shot. The very thing that he and his mate Saunders loudly and regularly panned Haye for. It soon became obvious why Haye had to take that route once he got in with Bellew but at least he sold out the O2 and went out and spanked the bums instead of pissing around although Fury doesn't posses that finishing ability anyway.

I'll believe the Wilder fight when I see them in the ring but the Fury comeback will come apart at the seams at some point when he gets in deep water mid/late fight v someone decent.  Seen it all before I can't believe so many are falling for it.