BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Fury, Wilder, Ortiz...He lost to Ruiz in hos only fight outside the UK. Klitshko was unlucky not to beat him at , what, 40 years of age? 

The division has gone to absolute shit in general though, to be fair. Too much politics, too many belts 

You have absolutely zero knowledge of boxing if you think Joshua dodged Fury or Wilder. What on Earth are you watching and reading to formulate that view? You could make an argument for Ortiz but it would have been an astoundingly odd career move to take that fight so it can be forgiven. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, J*B said:

You have absolutely zero knowledge of boxing if you think Joshua dodged Fury or Wilder. What on Earth are you watching and reading to formulate that view? You could make an argument for Ortiz but it would have been an astoundingly odd career move to take that fight so it can be forgiven. 

Did you notice they rang the bell early last night when he was about to go down? About 5 seconds left in the round and he was on the ropes. Clear as day 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did you notice they rang the bell early last night when he was about to go down? About 5 seconds left in the round and he was on the ropes. Clear as day 

You're basing your views on the TV graphics. If you’d ever been to a boxing show you would know that the timekeeper is responsible for starting and finishing a round, not the TV graphics or the judges. So yes, the round was stopped before the TV graphics had got to 0. But that’s because the Sky graphics where delayed. Notice at the start of the round AJ and Usyk touched gloves and the referee pushed them back towards their corner. I would suggest Sky started the round as the fighters touched gloves and took a step back, whereas the timekeeper started it on his official bell. It happens often. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J*B said:

You're basing your views on the TV graphics. If you’d ever been to a boxing show you would know that the timekeeper is responsible for starting and finishing a round, not the TV graphics or the judges. So yes, the round was stopped before the TV graphics had got to 0. But that’s because the Sky graphics where delayed. Notice at the start of the round AJ and Usyk touched gloves and the referee pushed them back towards their corner. I would suggest Sky started the round as the fighters touched gloves and took a step back, whereas the timekeeper started it on his official bell. It happens often. 

Yes, I'm basing it on what I saw. Is that what happened? Fair enough. 

Just now, JacknOry said:

Big and lumbering and his career highlight is beating a past it Klitchsko that dominated the division for years. Not convinced since and now beaten by a cruiser-weight quite convincingly. He cannot box - he thinks his size will get him by. 

Couldnt even beat the local kebaby first round of trying.

12 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Big and lumbering and his career highlight is beating a past it Klitchsko that dominated the division for years. Not convinced since and now beaten by a cruiser-weight quite convincingly. He cannot box - he thinks his size will get him by. 

That was his problem on Saturday - he didn't rely on his size. He got drawn into a boxing match - more fool him. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

That was his problem on Saturday - he didn't rely on his size. He got drawn into a boxing match - more fool him. 

Yep. Look at Wilder V Fury 2.

Fury outboxed him again but he also physically manhandled him from the first bell.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2021 at 08:09, Exiled_Rover said:

Spot on Exiled, I watched the fight again last night, some of the advice from his corner was bizarre too, but not relying on his size was criminal, he was never going to out box Usyk. 

I think AJ needs a complete rethink, get rid of Rob Mccracken and the team and start again from scratch. He's gunning for a rematch, I can only see one winner and its not the current version of AJ. 

Edited by Gav

• 2 weeks later...

So Wilder v fury tonight. Well tomorrow morning. In recent times with the heavyweight belts mostly being in our time zone got used to not watching boxing at 4am. Might try get an early night then get up. No way I’m lasting out through the undercard (such as it is) these days.

In the second fight, and even the first one to be fair, fury showed he’s miles ahead in terms of boxing quality but I reckon wilder will get a lucky punch off in this one. Just don’t want to hear excuses from that clown Wilder if he loses again. 

A curious thing pre fight was fury’s ring walk. The Americans aren’t necessarily known for their intelligence but he came out as a Roman gladiator and the commentator was taking about him coming out to his gypsy heritage. I thought is it possible they think gypsies and Roman gladiators are the same.

Much like when they killed bin laden and stated he was buried at sea in accordance with Muslim tradition and people suspected they’d confused Muslims with Vikings.

• Like 1

Just caught up with the fight, I’m sat here stunned to be honest. I’ve been watching boxing since 70’s that is without doubt in the top 5 fights I’ve ever seen, superb stuff.

Credit to Wilder, he looked shot after 3 rounds and managed to survive, but the better man won, it should never have gone to a 3rd fight, but I’m glad it did.

Fury has won me over, I don’t mind admitting it, so much so If he fights over in Vegas again I think I'll be on the plane. Clearly some of his comments and antics in his early career were born out of mental health issues, hopefully he’s over that now and hes bringing those belts back to Lancashire. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 4

Again,loved the Lancashire la,la,la, chant at the end.Like you say Gav he's won a lot of people over,that was a superb fight,as good as you will see.Incredible fitness and stamina for a near 20st bloke his size.

He's matured as a Boxer and a person and deserves the plaudits.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1

Fury has 1 or 2 fights left. If AJ can beat Usyk then It's the battle of Britain. Usyk wins the rematch and Fury v Usyk for the Undisputed Champion. Then possibly Fury v AJ. 

For me, AJ stands a better chance against Fury than he does Usyk and I'm not writing him off yet, like a lot of people are. 

Hats off to Fury, I could never really warm to him, but the last 2 fights have proven he is the Best Heavyweight since Klitschko. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a shout out to Derek Chisora who lost a points decision last night to Joseph Parker, the mans an absolute warrior. He's not the most gifted of boxers but in the heart stakes you'll struggle to find anyone better. He looked down and out many times last night but came back, he was out on his feet, but came back, just bravery beyond the belief. 

I hope he hangs up his gloves, I've been one of his critics over the years, but what a warrior, absolute box office.

They both shared burgers in the dressing room after smashing each other for 12 rounds.

https://twitter.com/DerekWarChisora?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Brilliant. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2