BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pedersen promised new contract by Venkys, Berg knows nothing about it

I am 100% sure Dunc's testimonial was at Ewood - I vaguely remeber us playing a Scottish side... Aberdeen? Shay Given was in the sticks for us that day.

Why would he have a testimonial at Ewood? He only made 6 appearances for us - and before moving to Ewood hadn't stayed at any club for longer than 4 years.

I'm pretty sure we played Aberdeen in Terry Gennoe's testimonial and Duncan Shearer was playing for them. I say this because I ran the line that day.

You got it Arbitro

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=5290&season=1992-93&squad=Senior

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Re: Pedersen getting a testimonial, I dearly hope so. Not for his footballing ability (which has gone down the loo somewhat), but because he did a great amount of work over the summer in contact with my Uncle in the last few months of his life, battling cancer. Pedersen contacted him regularly as they had become friends, while my Uncle was a waiter at San Carlo, Manchester.

Pedersen may not be the best of players, but he's been a damn good servant for the club and is a man with a good heart. Up there with Nelsen, Samba, Salgado, Friedel and Tugay in our recent history for me. Not a 'legend' by definition, but a player I'll remember very fondly for a LONG time.

A testimonial? Good grief!

Leaving aside MGP's merits or otherwise as a player, testimonials are relics from a bygone era when players were earning hundreds not tens of thousands of pounds a week, had a short career, and genuinely needed a bit of a nest egg to fall back on when they retired.

Not intended for guys who've been earning 30-50 k p.w for the last 8-9 years at all.

If he had one and the money was donated to charity that might be a different matter. Although I certainly wouldn't attend even then. If it was someone who had performed well for us for ten years I might, but such is the nature of the game these days that anyone who does particularly well for us tends to get snapped up by one of the top Clubs well before that stage.

Im all for Pedersen having a testimonial at Rovers.

Hes been loyal to the club since hes been here. Always been a good professional and a good team player.

Also he gave us many great memorys such as sinking Burnley with that great finish and the amount of special goals he scored.

I also believe he should be still playing week in week out now as his delivery is certainly a good weapon we could use in the Championship with below par defenders, something we could nick goals from.

Against Wigan haha.....had completely forgot about that.

His dive against Arsenal, his handball against Newcastle, that header against Chelsea....some great memories.

But his goals against Fulham, Newcastle, Wigan, Luton, the Arsenal free-kick last season, the one in the last minute against Sheff Utd, some of his crosses over the years....will always have fond memories of him.....if only he had never changed his shirt name to 'Gamst'.

Why would he have a testimonial at Ewood? He only made 6 appearances for us - and before moving to Ewood hadn't stayed at any club for longer than 4 years.

You got it Arbitro

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=5290&season=1992-93&squad=Senior

Good shout, I didn't have time to research. Strange how memory works... 90s splashed with all things shearer!

All testimonials are charity matches these days, I'm sure Genoes must be our last. Look forward to the chance to say thank you to MGP

Especially when he downs the dingles again next month!

Against Wigan haha.....had completely forgot about that.

His dive against Arsenal, his handball against Newcastle, that header against Chelsea....some great memories.

But his goals against Fulham, Newcastle, Wigan, Luton, the Arsenal free-kick last season, the one in the last minute against Sheff Utd, some of his crosses over the years....will always have fond memories of him.....if only he had never changed his shirt name to 'Gamst'.

He's a legend .. Winner against the scum .

I'm pretty sure any money raised from a modern testamonial would go to charity.

I'd like to think so, anyway.

However I do think that a testamonial for MGP would be a good idea, to show our appreciation for his 10 years service.

Yes, he's had more average-to-poor seasons that good ones, but he's very much a Rover now and his contributions should not be overlooked.

Archived