BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chinese Tablets

• 1 month later...

I've had a Nexus 7 for three days. Can someone enlighten me as to how on earth I get a decent office suite which will integrate / convert to Excel and Word on a PC? Minimal formatting in either - very simple spreadsheets and standard letter docs in Word.

I bought the Nexus because I understood there to be several choices available. I've tried a couple but the downloaded files don't seem to execute.

Should I be looking for an App instead of a programme?

Cheers

As mentioned above, google docs, which is web based but has a decent mobile skin, may suit your needs (and is free). It's nowhere near the sophistication of excel, but if all you're after is a basic spreadsheet then it does the job well, I use it for loads of things (including the BRFCS accounts).

All I need is a basic spreadsheet. Now daft question. Google docs appears to just be a storage device but cloud based. Its effectively a drive, Dropbox does the same thing. As such I can't see any option for editing docs and still therefore need an app / programme to edit with.

Or have I missed something fundamental?

Google Docs is usable from the browser on Android but it's confusing as what to do. I just browsed to docs.google.com and it signed me in and took me to my google drive with no more explanation.

From there I actually had an excel spreadsheet in my drive so I clicked on that and it opened and let me edit it.

I then when back to my google drive and noticed a "paper with pen" type edit icon to the right with a couple of down arrows. press on that and it lets you create a new spreadsheet or word document.

So, no you don't need other software and yes it works in the cloud. Both all well and good if you have a decent network connection. Crap if not.

All I need is a basic spreadsheet. Now daft question. Google docs appears to just be a storage device but cloud based. Its effectively a drive, Dropbox does the same thing. As such I can't see any option for editing docs and still therefore need an app / programme to edit with.

Or have I missed something fundamental?

That sounds like google drive rather than google docs. They have done a lot of work merging the two recently though, but as Biddy says either upload a spreadsheet and hit edit, or hit create and then spreadsheet and it should be opened in a web based spreadsheet app.

Something in the back of my mind says google did some jiggery pokery to actually make if offline (without a permanent connection) if you jumped through the right hoops. But realistically, yes internet access required.

I try hard, very hard but fundamentally I'm getting older and lack any technical education!! :(

I shall look again tonight. It could be a PC, car battery and small trailer is the answer!!!

Excellent got that working very well. This nexus 7 is amazing. The voice recognition software is so good. All the entries in my spreadsheet can be done without typing, wonderful.

And I was able to make this post using the software. Though I haven't learnt how to do a full stop .......... yet!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Have to agree that the nexus 7 is an amazing piece of kit for the price - had mine for about a month and still finding some new gimicks to it each day.

Bought the case with detatchable keyboard (£19.99) but dont need to use the keyboard as the touch screen is so responsive

Archived