BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news! One step closer to a single Rovers group when the time comes...

People complain about too many groups with different agendas and then complain when people start to collaborate. If people don't like it they had ample opportunity to volunteer.

We advertised for a new secretary and Glen applied.

The appointment was published on the www.roverstrust.co.uk website.

Like all of us, he's a Rovers fan through and through and the trust needs people who are willing to devote unpaid, sometimes substantial time to running a supporters trust. We are glad to have him on board in this pivotal role in the trust.

We are signing up new members every week, which reflects fans' growing appreciation of the potential for supporters trusts becoming increasingly relevant and vocal in football. Politicians on all sides are waking up to the fact there is a real issue of fan empowerment that can be supported.

While the owners continue to ignore the fans, when thousands of supporters choose to stay away from Ewood Park, with financial meltdown an ongoing concern, we need the supporters trust - backed by the national body Supporters Direct and many local politicians and business people as well as us ordinary fans - simply to exist and be ready for the worst case scenario.

The Rao family could pull the plug on the club at any time. We need to be as prepared as we can possibly be to react if that happens.

• Moderation Lead

So glen9mullan is now secretary of the Rovers Trust - http://www.roverstrust.com/2015/03/12/glen-joins-the-rovers-trusts-forward-line-as-fans-groups-latest-signing/

Sneaked that one in through the back door didn't you guys??

Personally that's my subscription cancelled and my pledge withdrawn. Even if I didn't dislike the individual for his actions in the recent past, you can't just make appointments of this nature whilst completely ignoring the people you need to make the thing work.

The Rovers Trust has fired off email like confetti when it suited - so where were all the emails about this divisive recruitment decision??

A bit dramatic for me that. Eat a snickers ;)

Ha ha you couldn't make it up. Mullan was slagging the trust back in the day and now he's joined them....duplicitous is the word that springs to mind.

Good luck Glen, hope you make a success of it for ALL of us.

We advertised for a new secretary and Glen applied.

The appointment was published on the www.roverstrust.co.uk website.

Like all of us, he's a Rovers fan through and through and the trust needs people who are willing to devote unpaid, sometimes substantial time to running a supporters trust. We are glad to have him on board in this pivotal role in the trust.

We are signing up new members every week, which reflects fans' growing appreciation of the potential for supporters trusts becoming increasingly relevant and vocal in football. Politicians on all sides are waking up to the fact there is a real issue of fan empowerment that can be supported.

While the owners continue to ignore the fans, when thousands of supporters choose to stay away from Ewood Park, with financial meltdown an ongoing concern, we need the supporters trust - backed by the national body Supporters Direct and many local politicians and business people as well as us ordinary fans - simply to exist and be ready for the worst case scenario.

The Rao family could pull the plug on the club at any time. We need to be as prepared as we can possibly be to react if that happens.

It's good to hear that membership is steadily growing. Could I ask a genuine question with talk of worse case scenario if say Venky's pull the plug at the end of the season for example. Would the Trust feel strong enough to be able to take the club on with it's current membership and pledge level?

good luck glen....Like a jockey swapping horses mid-race....

Not really. The closest I could go is to say it's like two Formula One drivers in who were in differently tuned cars but who want to work together for the same goal.

The view will depend on whether you are a 'driver's championship' or 'constructors championship' type of person.

Contrary to the opinion of some, Glen doesn't have an ego where Rovers is concerned.

Taking the club on - for anyone - depends on the level of debt and the contracts that need honouring.

Our latest financial analysis is that under normal financial/business circumstances the club is running at a massive monthly loss and no sane person or organisation would be willing to take that on unless they were deeply monied.

The Trust would certainly feel confident and competent to sit down with the Raos, Derek Shaw, administrators, the Football League and anyone else to discuss the best future for Blackburn Rovers with the supporters being at the heart of any new set up.

So glen9mullan is now secretary of the Rovers Trust - http://www.roverstrust.com/2015/03/12/glen-joins-the-rovers-trusts-forward-line-as-fans-groups-latest-signing/

Sneaked that one in through the back door didn't you guys??

Personally that's my subscription cancelled and my pledge withdrawn. Even if I didn't dislike the individual for his actions in the recent past, you can't just make appointments of this nature whilst completely ignoring the people you need to make the thing work.

The Rovers Trust has fired off email like confetti when it suited - so where were all the emails about this divisive recruitment decision??

Wasn't widely publicised but via the Trust website and social media I was aware of it weeks ago. I didn't really expect a glossy brochure through the door confirming it.

Taking the club on - for anyone - depends on the level of debt and the contracts that need honouring.

Our latest financial analysis is that under normal financial/business circumstances the club is running at a massive monthly loss and no sane person or organisation would be willing to take that on unless they were deeply monied.

The Trust would certainly feel confident and competent to sit down with the Raos, Derek Shaw, administrators, the Football League and anyone else to discuss the best future for Blackburn Rovers with the supporters being at the heart of any new set up.

Would it be appropriatte to ask a rough estimate on the fugure of pledges and what % of pledgesyou would expect to turn into cold cash

Would it be appropriatte to ask a rough estimate on the fugure of pledges and what % of pledgesyou would expect to turn into cold cash

This would be a difficult thing to predict, should the worse happen.

Having a healthy paid up membership base , which based on season ticket sales is around 13.6% is certainly a good start .

Obviously more members and pledges are needed for the Rovers Trust to have the best chance of success , however we are certainly encouraged by the current membership levels and the appetite within the town and supporter base to support this option .

I'm a firm believer that any chance is better than no chance , other like minded supporters have taken that view too and hopefully many others will join as time moves forward .

Commendable stuff and all that -and please don't think I am sniping , I aint. But I just cannot fathom how a group of lets say 1000 fans can even begin to pick up the reins and cover even the basic operating costs of running this thing for more than a month?

A seat at a discussion table is fine but I have no idea how you convey to the Football league that you have the resources to run it .Administrators wont hand it over just because fans are involved. It went on for months I recall at Portsmouth .I mean if it goes into Admin, what earthly use would you think sitting down with Shaw would produce? And by that stage surely the Raos will be even more remote than they are now.,

Is it basically a case of ringing Battersby and Currie the minute it hits the fan and hoping their investors are on stand by and piggy backing them or someone similar?

I would love to believe it but I just cant see how it happens -sorry.

Commendable stuff and all that -and please don't think I am sniping , I aint. But I just cannot fathom how a group of lets say 1000 fans can even begin to pick up the reins and cover even the basic operating costs of running this thing for more than a month?

A seat at a discussion table is fine but I have no idea how you convey to the Football league that you have the resources to run it .Administrators wont hand it over just because fans are involved. It went on for months I recall at Portsmouth .I mean if it goes into Admin, what earthly use would you think sitting down with Shaw would produce? And by that stage surely the Raos will be even more remote than they are now.,

Is it basically a case of ringing Battersby and Currie the minute it hits the fan and hoping their investors are on stand by and piggy backing them or someone similar?

I would love to believe it but I just cant see how it happens -sorry.

Isn't Portsmouth exactly the template though? It may take relegation, it may take League 2 football, it may take negotiation with liquidators, administrators and the council but isnt that what this safety net is about?

Let's not be under any illusions, the RoversTrust ownership is not a desired end goal, not in my opinion as a member anyway, it's the last chance to stop us going to the wall. The ideal scenario is a group or other main owner with the cash to support the club, together with a Trust organisation on board to provide a sounding board for the fans and board. There's nothing stopping this arrangement being with Venkys.

...well, apart from Venkys themselves of course!

Isn't Portsmouth exactly the template though? It may take relegation, it may take League 2 football, it may take negotiation with liquidators, administrators and the council but isnt that what this safety net is about?

Let's not be under any illusions, the RoversTrust ownership is not a desired end goal, not in my opinion as a member anyway, it's the last chance to stop us going to the wall. The ideal scenario is a group or other main owner with the cash to support the club, together with a Trust organisation on board to provide a sounding board for the fans and board. There's nothing stopping this arrangement being with Venkys.

...well, apart from Venkys themselves of course!

It might be a Portsmouth god forbid but the point I was making is how you get a seat at the table with liquidators/administrators with 2 bob in your pocket. Just because you are called Rovers Trust doesn't mean you have a preferential position unless you have the cash to follow through and take it over.

At that stage I cant envisage a buyer group spending its time negotiating with the Trust when the objective is to get the Club out of admin.

Not knocking their aspirations at all and I am glad they are there but I just don't see how they influence anything with very little in the coffers

It might be a Portsmouth god forbid but the point I was making is how you get a seat at the table with liquidators/administrators with 2 bob in your pocket. Just because you are called Rovers Trust doesn't mean you have a preferential position unless you have the cash to follow through and take it over.

At that stage I cant envisage a buyer group spending its time negotiating with the Trust when the objective is to get the Club out of admin.

Not knocking their aspirations at all and I am glad they are there but I just don't see how they influence anything with very little in the coffers

The worry is that they will be the only interested party. A joint or part ownership with someone with finances is far more preferable.

Archived