BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Peterborough United versus BRFC; 17 November 2012.

m1st

We are now 7 points adrift of 2nd place.

A win is essential to keep alive flickering hopes of auto promo..

We then have Millwall at home followed by 6 tough fixtures:

Bolton home, Burnley away, Cardiff home, Blackpool away, Brighton home, M'boro away.

The first half of the season will then be over and I think we will have a fair old idea if Berg's revolution is underway or whether it's stalled in the starting pits.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From wikipedia

Peterborough United are nicknamed "The Posh", a moniker coined in 1921, after the then manager of Fletton United was reported to say he was "Looking for posh players for a posh new team". When Fletton United looked to join the Southern League in 1923 they added Peterborough to their name to form Peterborough & Fletton United, in an attempt to gain the backing of businesses in Peterborough. Peterborough & Fletton United went bankrupt in Oct 1932 so the current club is the third to be known as The Posh.

Fascinating - thanks!

Going to this one. Does anyone know how Peterborough got their nickname Posh? All I can think of is "Port out, Starboard home".

Memo to self: Check all previous posts before posting!! :( I'd quoted Wiki, too. Mind you, even Wiki says "This section does not cite any references or sources.".

I'm guessing here; but I think the word originated around that time with ships going to various parts of the Empire. So it may be that the manager of the time was trying to imply that, if players joined the club, they'd be very stylish.

And the Urban Dictionary claims that the origin you quote, matduggy, [and the one I've always thought was the correct origin] isn't the correct origin of the word. But it doesn't say what is!

Was thinking back to the League Cup meeting back in October 2009.

Here's the stats from that game

Rovers 5 - Pedersen 4, Reid pen 45, Salgado 57, McCarthy 72, Kalinic pen 74

Peterborough 2 - Whelpdale 17, Boyd 50, Lewis sent off

Blackburn - Brown, Salgado, P. Jones, Givet (Nelsen), Martin Olsson, Emerton (Andrews), Reid (Dunn), Pedersen, Hoilett, Kalinic, McCarthy

Peterborough - Lewis, Morgan, Pearce, Lee (Martin), Frecklington, Rowe (Day), Diagouraga, Whelpdale, Batt (McKeown), Mclean, Boyd

Still at the clubs

Att: 8,419

Proof that 3 years is a hell of a long time in football! Interesting to see the turn over in players in such a small amount of time. I know it was a League Cup match, but still that shows how quickly the game moves on.

Remember when Joe Lewis was the next big thing? - Now at Cardiff as reserve keeper

Remember when Michel Salgado scored? - A curled effort in front of the Darwen End if memory serves.

Remember when it was called the Darwen End? ^_^

Remember when Nikola Kalinic was the great white hope? - 13 goals in 53 apps

Remember Elrio van Heerden? - Was an unused substitute that night, now plying his trade at Durban based 'Lamontville Golden Arrows'

Remember when Benni McCarthy sulked his way through a 3 year contract as he thought he was good enough to play for Chelsea? - He was also thin back then!

Who knows what we'll be chuckling at in 2015/6!

Just saw this:

http://www1.skysport.../11095/8244675/

It's regarding 4 Peterborough players having been transfer listed due to a breach of club rules.

There's no mention of whether the players will be available for selection on saturday though.

This is from one of their Message Boards:

IF..... we survive this season and stay up it will really be a miracle. Our club captain, most expensive signing, striker with some potential and someone touted as having a bright future all on their way - ONLY AT POSH.

Whilst we may hear nothing more officially I really do believe that there is one hell of a power struggle going on at all levels, along with in fighting between players and management.

Do not have much sympathy for the players, very unprofessional ...however it appears they have vented frustration, anger, concerns that has probably been building for a while.

Not looking good at all.

Thanks Posh......

It'll be interesting to see how this will affect their team selection for Saturday and the way their fans respond to the players in question that evening.

We defiantly took a 'special' train to Chesterfield in 1980 ... the season we were promoted under Kendall.

I thought the one I'm thinking of was well before that I think ES. Without trying to look it up I'd have guessed 73-4. I was only young about ten or eleven and went with my Dad. At the Watford one I think it was he was fairly mortified as a Professional person to be met off the train by a heavy Police guard complete with dogs and frogmarched to the ground as was the norm in those days.

Anyway back on topic this is a game that if you were looking at the fixtures before the start of the season you'd hope to pick up 3 points. I think it's a bit strong to say that nothing less than 3 points is acceptable. You can't just turn up anywhere a.d expect to simply pick up the 3 points. Nor do you always get what you deserve from a game as we saw on Saturday.

That said we obviously need to start putting together a few back to back wins sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the preview.

I am of the opinion we have to win this game. If not where are we realistically looking to achieve wins away? We have dropped a lot of home points and the last five or so games have us now playing catch up. If we are serious about automatic promotion our push has to start now, especially against the division's weaker teams. Time for this group of players to start getting some consistent winning results.

I am a tad bored of manager talk after SA and SK, followed by the suspense of the last two months and HB's arrival. It is up to the players and they have not been good enough for as long as I can remember.

1-2. COYB.

I remember that game....wasn't it the one when Pedersen scored directly from a corner?

Can remember Salgado's celebration and how it appeared to mean a lot to him....although I doubt he's scored many is his career.

Peds - free kick at the Blackburn End I think. Couldn't be sure, but at the time I remember thinking he hadn't scored from a free kick for ages. Also the game for an original song - 5-2 and we've got the flu .

Just saw this:

http://www1.skysport.../11095/8244675/

It's regarding 4 Peterborough players having been transfer listed due to a breach of club rules.

There's no mention of whether the players will be available for selection on saturday though.

Following developments on their messageboard.

Sounds like they have broken a curfew set by the club.Nothing illegal in having a night out after a game and they appear to have done nothing wrong.

It just seems like a kick up the backside from the Chairman and Fergie Jr.in order to rally everyone.

The club looks in a mess so a great opportunity for a big win.

http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21865&start=15

One of the few grounds that I have been to and NOT seen Rovers play. I visited Peterboro and watched them play Swindon many moons ago, I doint have any particular memories exceot the ground is small and shabby, the area around the ground isnt exactly plush and the local beer was like vinegar.

Anyhow onto Saturday, death by tv for me but I think Rovers can sneak a win.

2-1 Rovers

Thought this TV preview I found would wind a few people up;

...Coverage of the Championship match at London Road, where the teams meet in a league clash for the first time since the 1974/75 season. These clubs have experienced contrasting fortunes this term, with Rovers challenging at the top of the table despite the departure of Steve Kean

All the old blackburn end songs will be out for this adventure back in time. Could do without a soggy leg though.

Go on then third pillar, which ones.........?

I was born...............

If I had the wings of an eagle...............

Give us a goal Barry Hole.........

Memories!

I'll be there never having been before and Rovers have got an additional terrace ticket allocation for anyone else that may be contemplating going.

Go on then third pillar, which ones.........?

I was born...............

If I had the wings of an eagle...............

Give us a goal Barry Hole.........

Memories!

I'll be there never having been before and Rovers have got an additional terrace ticket allocation for anyone else that may be contemplating going.

Twas in Blackburn's fair city!!!!!!

Come on without, come on within (Mighty Don Martin)!!!!

If you want to go to heaven when you die!!!!

:D

Memo to self: Check all previous posts before posting!! :( I'd quoted Wiki, too. Mind you, even Wiki says "This section does not cite any references or sources.".

I'm guessing here; but I think the word originated around that time with ships going to various parts of the Empire. So it may be that the manager of the time was trying to imply that, if players joined the club, they'd be very stylish.

And the Urban Dictionary claims that the origin you quote, matduggy, [and the one I've always thought was the correct origin] isn't the correct origin of the word. But it doesn't say what is!

The term Port Out Starboard Home originated from the sea trips to and from India. If you were on the port side of the ship on the way to India you were generally on the shady side from the sun and vice versa on the way back. The rich "posh" people paid extra for the privelidge.

I too was on the 74-75 League Liner trip, a defeat that gave us the collywoobles that yet another strong start to a season would be frittered away.

Berg needs a win and will get one, 3-0 (Waddington, Beamish, Martin)

Wittiest post of the day, EiT; imo, brilliant! .

I too was on the 74-75 League Liner trip, a defeat that gave us the collywoobles that yet another strong start to a season would be frittered away.

Berg needs a win and will get one, 3-0 (Waddington, Beamish, Martin)

I was on the Owen's coach from Chorley. After the game a 1/2 brick came through one of the side windows, skimmed of a blokes head and went out via the opposite side window. It was bloody cold on the way back!

Can anyone remember the "swing" we made in the away end? A roller towel was tossed over angle iron in the top of the stand roof and 4 0r 5 rovers fans spent the game swinging like apes in a zoo!!

Archived