BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn v Millwall 24th November, 2012

Nate

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember Carsley being good. Did he miss any?

He did!

I remember he just drove it down the middle every time. The one time he tried to place it, he put it wide. Blackburn end penalty, I remember, with that tragic Uhlsport kit. Couldn't remember the opposition.

Absolutely fantastic preview Nate and my goodness that video transported me back to football in the '80s. That Norwich game was a cracker with some stunning saves.

To Saturday.

Millwall are a big ugly uncompromising unit except they give the ball away all the time then bully it back.

If Rovers can move it quickly and accurately when gaining possession, then we could win this game very handily.

If Millwall score first we could really struggle but I will go for Rovers to win by at least a two goal margin.

This is the sort of fixture that won't end up 11 v 11.

First time I saw Millwall at Ewood was in the late sixties. The late Frank Lord was making his debut for us at centre forward on a freezing cold day with a bone hard pitch. We won 1-0 with a very late Eammon Rogers goal if my memory serves me well. Millwall were very defensive but we couldn't break them down and I remember their goalie and centre half both having blinders. I seem to recall 'array Cripps and Eamon Dunphy playing for them that day also.

Just checked up- it was on Dec the 3rd 1966, we did indeed win 1-0 courtesy of a Rogers goal. Rovers team that day was.

Barton.

Newton

Clayton

Sharples

Wilson

Connelly

Joyce

Hole

Harrison

Lord

Rogers

With Mike Ferguson as an unused sub ?

I wouldn't mind a couple of those for today's team.

I was there too.

Talking of Mike Harrison, he had a strange running style in which his head bobbed backwards and forwards when he was at full speed.

Cracking winger for us. Came from Plymouth I think. Saw him once coming out of Garbutts bookshop at Sudell Cross and getting in his VW Beetle.

i was impressed by that sort of thing in those days.

Went to the old Den on Cold Blow Lane a few times. Probably the most intimidating ground in the country. Can you imagine 8,000 Alf Garnetts ? They hated the opposition but they hated the ref even more.

Quite surprised they're bringing 1200-1500 with them, I expected a pretty low following. Lets see if Saturdays performance will attract some more bums on seats for us too, won't hold my breath on that one though!

Really hope we can build on our previous performance on Saturday and also Wednesday in the run up to THAT game the following Sunday. A nice 2-0 would do the trick.

Millwall's allocation is 1000.

http://www.millwallfc.co.uk//news/article/back-the-boys-at-blackburn-497904.aspx?pageView=full

First time I saw Millwall at Ewood was in the late sixties. The late Frank Lord was making his debut for us at centre forward on a freezing cold day with a bone hard pitch. We won 1-0 with a very late Eammon Rogers goal if my memory serves me well. Millwall were very defensive but we couldn't break them down and I remember their goalie and centre half both having blinders. I seem to recall 'array Cripps and Eamon Dunphy playing for them that day also.

Just checked up- it was on Dec the 3rd 1966, we did indeed win 1-0 courtesy of a Rogers goal. Rovers team that day was.

Barton.

Newton

Clayton

Sharples

Wilson

Connelly

Joyce

Hole

Harrison

Lord

Rogers

With Mike Ferguson as an unused sub ?

I wouldn't mind a couple of those for today's team.

Eamon Rogers, one of my all time favorite players, fantastic skills,

once bunked off school and got into Ewood thru' the Blackburn end and Eamon was practicing free kicks etc at the Blackburn end after recovering from an injury, he saw us and invited me and my mate onto the pitch, we had a great time as he took free kicks into the Blackburn end goal that just flew past both of us lol, gave us some tips on how to bend the ball etc, lasted about half an hour and then he had to do sprints up and down the red track, then the grounds man saw us and asked us to leave (: wonderful memory, couldn't see something like that happening these days.

Eamon Rogers, one of my all time favorite players, fantastic skills,

once bunked off school and got into Ewood thru' the Blackburn end and Eamon was practicing free kicks etc at the Blackburn end after recovering from an injury, he saw us and invited me and my mate onto the pitch, we had a great time as he took free kicks into the Blackburn end goal that just flew past both of us lol, gave us some tips on how to bend the ball etc, lasted about half an hour and then he had to do sprints up and down the red track, then the grounds man saw us and asked us to leave (: wonderful memory, couldn't see something like that happening these days.

Yeah, he had it all. For those who never saw him play he was a bit like a slimmer David Dunn but he could tackle as well. Great little player who should have gone on bigger and better things. He seemed to lose his way after a while and made an ill-judged move to Watford I think. After that he just faded out of the game.

Yes we did, his penalties, he made his run from a funny angle, think,in all honesty, he would have been found out nowadays, Shearers penalties were by far the best, right into the side of the net, unstoppable|""

Hey come on Kelbo !

You might as well say Pele, Finney, Matthews, Best etc would all have been found out now !!!

As for Shearer's penalties, yes he was good but not invincible - saw some stat's 3 or 4 years ago and I think he'd missed at least six. I certainly remember him missing one for Newcastle against Sunderland and also one for England against Poland.

Yeah, he had it all. For those who never saw him play he was a bit like a slimmer David Dunn but he could tackle as well. Great little player who should have gone on bigger and better things. He seemed to lose his way after a while and made an ill-judged move to Watford I think. After that he just faded out of the game.

Love that description, Tyrone! You're right; Rogers wasn't a world-beater but he could [and should] have achieved much more than he did.

Hey come on Kelbo !

You might as well say Pele, Finney, Matthews, Best etc would all have been found out now !!!

As for Shearer's penalties, yes he was good but not invincible - saw some stat's 3 or 4 years ago and I think he'd missed at least six. I certainly remember him missing one for Newcastle against Sunderland and also one for England against Poland.

Yes, but the angle Harrison ran from meant he could only put the ball one way and in those days, the keepers werent too agile, indeed, Harry Leyland ate all Dunnys pies plus his own :lol:

Yes, but the angle Harrison ran from meant he could only put the ball one way and in those days, the keepers werent too agile, indeed, Harry Leyland ate all Dunnys pies plus his own :lol:

So all the keeper needed to do then was to stand an extra yard to left or right dependent upon his run angle !?

So all the keeper needed to do then was to stand an extra yard to left or right dependent upon his run angle !?

Not in those days, they werent agile enough, in my opinion, goalkeeping is the one area of football which has improved massively over the years, around early 70s you started to see more agile keepers, up to then, they were, shall we say, not the most mobile!!

Not in those days, they werent agile enough, in my opinion, goalkeeping is the one area of football which has improved massively over the years, around early 70s you started to see more agile keepers, up to then, they were, shall we say, not the most mobile!!

fatty2.jpg

Absolutely fantastic preview Nate and my goodness that video transported me back to football in the '80s. That Norwich game was a cracker with some stunning saves.

To Saturday.

Millwall are a big ugly uncompromising unit except they give the ball away all the time then bully it back.

If Rovers can move it quickly and accurately when gaining possession, then we could win this game very handily.

If Millwall score first we could really struggle but I will go for Rovers to win by at least a two goal margin.

This is the sort of fixture that won't end up 11 v 11.

Thanks.

I love watching games from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I have the official Millwall history video and has some great highlights of games. Even shows their goal in the loss to Rovers in 1988 at Cold Blow Lane, but Millwall had already been promoted as Champions.

Archived