BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn v Millwall 24th November, 2012

Nate

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So all the keeper needed to do then was to stand an extra yard to left or right dependent upon his run angle !?

Ron Springett, the former Sheffield Wed and England goalkeeper always faced penalties standing a yard to his left. He reckoned he could then leap further to his right and he could beat out shots more easily with his stronger right hand. It would be interesting to see what happened if you tried to go down the short side but I never saw anyone try it. I remember him saving a pen from Fred Pickering at Ewood using this method at the old Darwen End, Fred went for the open side but Springett was across like a flash and tipped the shot away.

As for Mike Harrison being found out, nobody did then. I remember an incident in the 1965-66 relegation season when we were playing the red rats at Old Trafford. Rovers were playing crap and losing 2-0 well into the second half. Mike England was playing centre forward for Rovers and he'd obviously wound up Harry Gregg the Utd goalie, who was known for having a really short fuse.

Rovers got a corner and as the ball came over Gregg made a bee line for England and just sparked him out. He never even waited to be sent off he just carried on walking towards the tunnel. The ref had to chase after him to give him the hard word. No sub goalies in those days so an out field player, David Herd, went in goal. When Harrison drove the ball into the corner from the resulting pen Herd didn't attempt to dive at the ball but actually tried to run over to the corner of the goal. Absolutely no chance, we keaned ourselves laughing at this.

All of a sudden it's all Rovers, we get a free kick about 30 yards out from goal, Harrison tries to take it really quickly but miss hits the ball, it strikes the head of the retreating Paddy Crerand who has his back to play and loops in a gentle arc over David Herd in goal into the back of the net and the Rovers have stolen a point ! Happy days.

Is that Fatty Fowkes?

No, that's the guy that ate Fatty Foulkes !

I was there Tyrone. Fabulous memories. I also saw Keith Newton marking George Best at Old Trafford in Best's first season [.I think]. What a fantastic tussle that was between two greats.

It wasn't you that threw that old fashioned beer glass was it Den ? I remember it sailing over from behind me at the old Scoreboard End and landing bang on the crossbar, it shattered into a thousand pieces, all sprayed onto the goalmouth. The game was held up for about ten minutes whilst the groundstaff swept up the broken glass. United's Nobby Stiles came over and had to held back by other players, he was all for going into the Rovers fans to sort out who threw it ! The Rovers fans were all shouting, " Come on if you think you're hard enough ".

Oh the memories of a 4-1 away success at Millwall many many moons ago with Garner in impeccable form and Rovers running riot in London. Is it really that long ago ????

So hands up how many people ran out the exit when Millwall invaded the pitch at full time :lol:

We should win this one, watched them against Leeds, poor sides the both of them

Another name from that teamsheet is "Barrington Gerard Hole ".

lol, never knew that was his real name, but he scored some crackers and was a favourite of mine at the time. I'm sure he scored a screamer [or maybe two] at Deepdale in a 5-3 win for us?

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Barrie_Hole

http://www.where-are...HOLE Barry/2449

His shop was on my patch when I was a sales rep for Cadbury's, tho his missus always gave the order, something many of us can relate to.

So hands up how many people ran out the exit when Millwall invaded the pitch at full time :lol:

We ended up being put in police personnel carriers and taken to London Bridge Station after that game. My mate, bless him, was stood applauding the players oblivious to the fact that coins were raining in on us from the Millwall fans, you could hear them pinging off the floodlight pylon like anti aircraft fire! Poor Simon Garner was stripped down to his jockstrap as he tried to make his way off the field. Great day out and a great season under Don Mackay.

Always had a soft spot for Millwall for 2 reasons:

1) My first away game was the 4-1 in 1988. We were in the seats that day, I won the tickets through a phone in compo with the Telegraph. Mate let a rocket off from the terraces that went right along the touchline. Rovers players stripped by the Millwall fans at the end as they invaded the pitch. Millwall fans running over to applaud the Rovers fans which turned into a coin throwing incident..... great memories!!

2) My first date with my now wife was the 1-2 in 1991. I'd done 44 of the 46 league games and we avoided relegation the second last match of the season. I must have been mad. My wife must be mad to have stuck with me, the romantic that I am!

This is a tough game to call. We've played well the past 2 games but Millwall are obviously tough to beat. Start of a big 2 weeks for the club, it would be nice to start with a home win.

Oh the memories, Allan Hunter a proper no 4, silky Ken Knighton, and from another period Glen Keeley marking George Best at Fulham. That was only going to end in tears !!!!

There's three that would get in our current side. Alan Hunter was one of the best centre halves we've ever had. Up there with Matt Woods, Hendrey, Moran, Craig Short, Samba etc. Not as good as Mike England but who was ?

Ken Knighton is just what we need at present, an all action midfielder with a biting tackle, tremendous workrate, a player who drove the team forward. He had the same effect on the team as the Jones guy we loaned from Germany a season or two ago. Weighed in with his share of goals as well, he had a tremendous left foot shot. I was gutted when we had to sell him after Hull made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

" Killer " Keeley ! What can you say? A great stopper, not many strikers must have fancied their chances playing against him. He was involved in that horrific incident against Luton Town when Fuccillo of Luton went over his shoulder Jumping for a high ball and came down head first on a bone hard frozen pitch. That's the only time at a football match when I thought a player might have been killed ! A pure accident but very scary, Fuccillo was one lucky guy not to have broken his neck.

Just a mention of Barry Hole, he was a tall and slim, elegant central midfielder who could make play and score goals. Not much of a tackler but a great left foot shot and very good at ghosting in late into un marked positions. A bit of a poor mans Martin Peters. Another one we had to sell to balance the books.

I didn't, held my ground and the Rovers support applauded the approaching mob so they halted and applauded us.

I was with a party of about 14 and we were actually in with the Millwall fans. That day them lions were pussycats (probably something to do with being promoted) and we had no hassle apart from one cockney who kept asking which one of us had a job.

Hopefully we can keep the momentum going from last week and get another three points although having seen Millwall last week they will be no pushovers. They are well organised and can be a bit agricultural when the situation demands. I think Saturday might just be one of them situations.

There's three that would get in our current side. Alan Hunter was one of the best centre halves we've ever had. Up there with Matt Woods, Hendrey, Moran, Craig Short, Samba etc. Not as good as Mike England but who was ?

Ken Knighton is just what we need at present, an all action midfielder with a biting tackle, tremendous workrate, a player who drove the team forward. He had the same effect on the team as the Jones guy we loaned from Germany a season or two ago. Weighed in with his share of goals as well, he had a tremendous left foot shot. I was gutted when we had to sell him after Hull made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

" Killer " Keeley ! What can you say? A great stopper, not many strikers must have fancied their chances playing against him. He was involved in that horrific incident against Luton Town when Fuccillo of Luton went over his shoulder Jumping for a high ball and came down head first on a bone hard frozen pitch. That's the only time at a football match when I thought a player might have been killed ! A pure accident but very scary, Fuccillo was one lucky guy not to have broken his neck.

Just a mention of Barry Hole, he was a tall and slim, elegant central midfielder who could make play and score goals. Not much of a tackler but a great left foot shot and very good at ghosting in late into un marked positions. A bit of a poor mans Martin Peters. Another one we had to sell to balance the books.

How could you miss out the peerless Graham Hawkins?

does anyone still remember his 50 yard goal?

No way. Our lot had all been on the vindaloo the night before, we let rip in unison, the breeze carried it towards the Millwall fans one of whom lit a ciggy and they ran off persued by a fireball. Them were the days!

How could you miss out the peerless Graham Hawkins?

does anyone still remember his 50 yard goal?

I seem to remember John Mcnamee scoring one from what seemed like 50yds once! (I am probably exaggerating - I was only 12 or 13 at the time)

Dont think he was as classy as some of the names mentioned above - but I bet Ted McDougall in his Bournemouth pomp still remembers him!

I seem to remember John Mcnamee scoring one from what seemed like 50yds once! (I am probably exaggerating - I was only 12 or 13 at the time)

Dont think he was as classy as some of the names mentioned above - but I bet Ted McDougall in his Bournemouth pomp still remembers him!

actually you may be right about John McNamee being the scorer

If we want promotion this has to be three points.

Palace and Cardiff are away from home, so we there's a chance they won't collect maximum points.

Millwall are tough to beat. Only lost 3 league games this season I think.

A good start is essential which is entirely possible as the players should be very confident.

I'm going to say 2-0 Rovers. Rochina MOM.

If we want promotion this has to be three points.

It's a long season. We could pick up the points in unexpected places. No single game has to be three points to guarantee promotion. We could lose the next three games and still go up. It would make it a lot harder, but it doesn't help things going into games thinking you have to win otherwise its the end. Aside from the Burnley game, of course.

Could Josh King be the answer to the left wing problem (Markus getting into positions, but can't score)?

Markus' return has coincided with an upturn in attacking form. Certainly creative form, anyway.

• Backroom

Nowhere near must win yet

No team in this league will go without a sticky patch we just need to be as consistent as we can be, yes that involves winning at home and trying to pick up a point away but at this point it's not too drastic or time for panic if we fail to win

Surely Kings signing doesn't mean Markus is dropped, but rather Formica is dropped? Puffsan said the moment we signed Berg he would try to install 2 fast wingers, and deploy 2 fast fullbacks as well. This has happened almost instantly, with Orr being loaned out and Henley brought in.

Surely the 4-4-1-1 formation (until Best is back, at least) now clearly has the Olsson brothers on the left side, and Henley + King operating down the right?

Which leaves one question which I've brought up so many times, who is going to play behind Rhodes? I said months ago we had an attacking midfield overload, we now have Rochina, Formica, Rosado, Simon and Dunn all seemingly competing for one position.

So what happens now? Surely we can't sustain paying 5 players for one position. Berg obviously likes Rochina, he's started him in most of his games so far. Formica is in good form now, Rosado is very highly rated by journalists on the continent, playing Simon is a firm way of Berg making sure everybody knows he isn't Kean, plus Simon has played well whenever brought on and is an international starter for his country.

Which leaves Dunn..?

Archived