BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Loanees

Dave S

Mark Grew departed just after Jack's money came into Ewood.

I remember seeing him just after he was told he was not being made permanent- he was absolutely gutted. I really felt for him knowing he had made such a big difference and what a crowd favourite he was. Equally I knew some big signings were surely on their way.

Keith Fear- forever a hero for that brace at the t'Turf in front of 27,200.

I'd go with Bentley as our best ever loan signing as well.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was Berkovic a loan deal?

Yes he was. Souey tried to sign him from Celtic but they wanted 5 million iirc. Souey then went for Tugay and everyone wondered who the hell he was. The rest is history. I think Berkovic ended up going elsewhere for much much less than Celtic wanted off us.

Yes he was. Souey tried to sign him from Celtic but they wanted 5 million iirc. Souey then went for Tugay and everyone wondered who the hell he was. The rest is history. I think Berkovic ended up going elsewhere for much much less than Celtic wanted off us.

Yes I think they signed John Hartson shortly after so Berkovic had to move on then for obvious reasons.

Loved Grewy, wasn't Gennoe injured and we had a struggling Paul Shepstone in goal? Grew came in and was superb for us.

Shepstone was a winger. Darren Collier was the sub keeper back then. Anyone remember Jason Beckford?

Did we have Jim Beglin for a few games too? Remember he was coming back from serious injury, looked class for us but the injury was too much for him and had to retire early?

Rovers may be about to enter the loan market.

Over the years we have signed a number of 'Loan Rovers.' Does anyone have any favorites or cringeworthy loan signings?

A favorite of mine was Mark Grew. When Rovers were at a low ebb he came in and was superb in goal. The Blackburn End took to him and chanted his name, he was rapidly becoming a fans favorite. It shows how skint Rovers were as he came on loan from Port Vale. They recalled him and we couldn't afford to buy him.

Any memories?

I remember Mark Grew he was decent keeper an i was suprised we got him at the time as he was a bit of a ledgend at Port Vale. Great rapport with the BBE and seemed to love it up here despite coming in when we were really struggling. Less said about Phil Starbuck and some geezer called Beckford from City (?) the better lol

S'right, Tyrone. David Gregory. Way back when I first started watching. Must have been good because I still remember him. More than thirty years ago?

Immediate crowd favourite. From Stoke, I think.

Too expensive, highlighting our lack of cash at the time. So back he went.

S'right, Tyrone. David Gregory. Way back when I first started watching. Must have been good because I still remember him. More than thirty years ago?

Immediate crowd favourite. From Stoke, I think.

Too expensive, highlighting our lack of cash at the time. So back he went.

That was the problem, he didn't go back to Stoke. We offered him terms but so did Bury who were in a Division below us, their terms were better so he went there ! That was another nail in Jim Iley's coffin ! Gregory went on to have a successful career around the leagues playing 480 games and scoring 108 goals. Fans today don't realise just how down and out we were financially in the seventies and eighties.

Still surprised people are saying Bentley as our greatest loan signing. He had done alright but not really pulled up trees on loan. If you're factoring in the fact we went on to sign him, get great performances and a lot of money out of him, fair enough, but none of that was whilst he was on loan.

In recent times I think Jermain Jones was our most impressive. After a slow start he was pretty instrumental in keeping us up. We really missed him and the other Jones driving our midfield the next season, and went down.

Still surprised people are saying Bentley as our greatest loan signing. He had done alright but not really pulled up trees on loan. If you're factoring in the fact we went on to sign him, get great performances and a lot of money out of him, fair enough, but none of that was whilst he was on loan.

In recent times I think Jermain Jones was our most impressive. After a slow start he was pretty instrumental in keeping us up. We really missed him and the other Jones driving our midfield the next season, and went down.

Yeah, you're right on both counts. We're is Bentley now ? If ever a player missed his way it's him.

Archived