BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Loanees

Dave S

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind being a quid (or rouble) behind him.

Any loanee who bags against the Hillbillies is a ledge for me. Step forward messrs Fear and Di santo.

Didn't Fear miss the penalty at the Turf when we were 3-0 up ?

The great David Wagstaffe should have taken it , we could have hit 6 that afternoon ...Instead of hanging on 3-2

Jay Boythroyd - similar to Modeste the highlight of his rovers career was a silly red card

Bothroyd was utter crap , surprised he did well anywhere , but Modeste is one of the worst players I have ever seen play for Rovers !

The great David Wagstaffe should have taken it , we could have hit 6 that afternoon ...Instead of hanging on 3-2

Bothroyd was utter crap , surprised he did well anywhere , but Modeste is one of the worst players I have ever seen play for Rovers !

He did. I was just a nipper at the time in the Cricket field stand. Was it just on half time? Just before Jim Smith's premature half time victory pitch invasion? :D Either way, respect to him for scoring against that lot.

(was he on loan from Plymouth btw?)

5 in 12 for bastia this season though

He did. I was just a nipper at the time in the Cricket field stand. Was it just on half time? Just before Jim Smith's premature half time victory pitch invasion? :D Either way, respect to him for scoring against that lot.

I think , it was Bristol City but not sure ..

Turkey legend Hakan Sukur ? Played nine goals scoring two goals and then fell out with Souness.

Going back to the 1970s, was Bobby Bell on loan ? He was (in)famous for pulling out injured before a match because he cricked his neck washing his hair.

didnt Roque come in on loan 1st, then signed permanently? Or did he sign permanently, then leave, then came back on loan?

If you're talking about Roque Santa Cruz, then yes, it is the latter. Mark Hughes signed him from Bayern Munich for 3.5 million, but took him over to Manchester City with him when he became manager there. Santa Cruz found first team opportunities limited there, so he returned to Rovers on loan last year. It didn't work out for him.

Ttook him over to Manchester City with him when he became manager there. Santa Cruz found first team opportunities limited there, so he returned to Rovers on loan last year. It didn't work out for him.

Yet another Rovers example of how the grass isn't always greener. His career has been stuttering along since.

Yeah Dino Baggio was useless.

Was Hakan Sukur a loan? I was gutted when he didn't stay permanently, he was one of my favourite non-Rovers strikers when I was younger (have no idea why though).

Pretty sure it was a loan. And Jim - wasn't it a hat-trick away to Fulham? Remember thinking we had a worldy on our hands at that point. But then he was off not long after!

Penalty was early in the 2nd half, I seem to recall Metcalfe wanting to take it but Fear grabbing the ball. Fear was definitely from Bristol City, quite well known at the time.

Alan Mahon came on loan from Sporting Clube de Portugal in December 2000 making his debut in the 2-0 win at the Dingles. I remember he had a bullet of a shot saved late on. He was signed permanently the next summer.

He also played on loan for the Dingles in 2006 and signed permanently subsequently.

Archived