BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brad Friedel

meerkat

I dont understand the point in this one. He is still a good goalkeeper dont get me wrong, but he is 41 years old..Personally, and I know this might annoy a few people, but I dont think hes half the keeper he was at Ewood. Imo he has slowed down considerably, he doesnt make glaring mistakes for spurs but he think there are times where he could do better when spurs concede.

I would prefer to stick with Robbo, far more longevity. If we sold Robbo and bought in Friedel (cos we cant have both at the club-pointless), then what happens in 12-18 months time? We're back to square one.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friedel is better than Robbo atm. Likely he is still better next season. Brad will be a great coach I think. Sign him in January and let Robbo go. There are a lot of matches before January. How will this day effect on Robbo? Maybe it will give him a boost?

You're speaking as though friedel has joined us? Have I missed something? I just assumed he hadn't because nothing was said prior to the 5pm deadline

I dont understand the point in this one. He is still a good goalkeeper dont get me wrong, but he is 41 years old..Personally, and I know this might annoy a few people, but I dont think hes half the keeper he was at Ewood. Imo he has slowed down considerably, he doesnt make glaring mistakes for spurs but he think there are times where he could do better when spurs concede.

I would prefer to stick with Robbo, far more longevity. If we sold Robbo and bought in Friedel (cos we cant have both at the club-pointless), then what happens in 12-18 months time? We're back to square one.

Rob, being half the keeper he was at Ewood still makes him a HELL of a keeper, and better than Robbo. I don't think we should care quite as much about longevity as going up THIS season either, to be honest. We won't be at square one if we are in the Prem.

And you're not still at Keele, surely? ;-)

Rob, being half the keeper he was at Ewood still makes him a HELL of a keeper, and better than Robbo. I don't think we should care quite as much about longevity as going up THIS season either, to be honest. We won't be at square one if we are in the Prem.

And you're not still at Keele, surely? ;-)

Ha ha, nah left in summer of 2008! Living and working back in Saaaf London. I understand that prem is the priority and that short termness (sic) is ok under this circumstance, but I dont really see the nessicity. Robbo is a good keeper and I cant really think of many times where he has cost us points this season. Surely we have other areas of the team to be concentrating on, rather then de-stabilising a fan favourite for a 42 yr old?

• Backroom

Ha ha, nah left in summer of 2008! Living and working back in Saaaf London. I understand that prem is the priority and that short termness (sic) is ok under this circumstance, but I dont really see the nessicity. Robbo is a good keeper and I cant really think of many times where he has cost us points this season. Surely we have other areas of the team to be concentrating on, rather then de-stabilising a fan favourite for a 42 yr old?

I can think of numerous times. He regularly can't get down to a low ball or lets in shots from distance and flaps at crosses.....and that's at chamionship level. Whereas Friedel is still one of the best in the Prem! Robbo is average at best.

Hugo Lloris is an outstanding goalkeeper as well. They've got Gomes and Cudicini as backup too.

Something had to give in the Friedel/Lloris battle, and unfortunately for Brad his age was always going to count against him.

Had forgotten about Gomes. Thought Spurs had shipped him out already. IMO, he's a good goalkeeper and should be more than adequate back-up for Lloris (esp with Cudicini, as well). Let Brad come home.

Who is Norway's 1st choice keeper? Is he any good? Does Berg have the pull to get us pretty much any Norwegian we want?

Rune Jarstein. Was recently linked to Hull, but they got Stockdale on loan instead. He's a decent keeper, but a bit error prone. I don't think he is any better than Robinson.

I'm sure he would be happy to join Blackburn though. Seems to be very keen on a move away from Norway.

I would take Friedel at 51 rather than Robbo currently....

Who is Norway's 1st choice keeper? Is he any good? Does Berg have the pull to get us pretty much any Norwegian we want?

Stay away, he is crap, arrogant, got a temperament problem and is probably one of the keepers in Europe with most red cards for the past 3-4 years.

Hull is keen on signing him. I feel sorry for the hull fans if it goes through

Robbo's been poor by anyone's standards for at least a year now, maybe longer. Brad, even taking his age into consideration, would be an improvement.

Friedel's family home remains in the North west - is he just using us as a means to return home ? Robinson's a very fine keeper anyway and Berg should forget this silly exercise in nostalgia and concentrate on priorities such as signing another decent forward.

Plus also having Friedel here could be good in developing the likes of Usai,Kean & Sandomierski plus like everyone states Robbo makes to many mistakes and I feel he is not commanding enough in his box flaps far too much IMO Friedel is a much better keeper and the only way Rovers will get to the promised land is if they get players who are better than what we have also if you compare robbo's stats to Brad's Brad is 10 times the keeper Robbo will ever be:

Robbo-04/05-12/13 Brad-04/05-12/13

Games Played 322 Games Played 342

Clean Sheets 91 Clean Sheets 116

courtesy of Espn Soccernet

as they say the stats don't lie Brad is statistically a better keeper than Robbo also Brad has only ever fallen into single figures once over the course of the seasons for me its a no brainer even at 42 if we can get Brad to play 1 or 2 seasons then give him a coaching job we should make it happen the more clean sheets we can keep the better the chance of promotion and as Brad has now fallen well down the Spurs pecking order we have every chance of getting him.

if you compare robbo's stats to Brad's Brad is 10 times the keeper Robbo will ever be:

Robbo-04/05-12/13 Brad-04/05-12/13

Games Played 322 Games Played 342

Clean Sheets 91 Clean Sheets 116

Whilst I agree that Friedel is better your stat is hardly a damning inditement of Robinson in comparison to Friedel.

• Backroom

Robbo's weaknesses: No command of area, flaps at crosses, can get to long shots and can't get down to low shots half the time.

Robbo's strengths: Shot-stopping from close range/reflexes (and even that has gone down significantly recently).

Friedel's weaknesses: Occasionally badly organised wall at free kicks.

Friedel's strengths: Everything else, but most importantly he's the boss of his defence and inspires confidence in the whole team.

Whilst I agree that Friedel is better your stat is hardly a damning inditement of Robinson in comparison to Friedel.

maybe not but the only way our team is likely to get back to the promised land is if we have a keeper who can keep clean sheets and I have to say on that score Robbo does not fill me with much confidence nor does he look likely in keeping a clean sheet.

Archived