BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brad Friedel

meerkat

The guy was up to his ears in debt after spending all his money investing in 'soccer' facilities in the USA. The manager (Ince) made it hard work for him, he got offered a wedge and took the bait. He secured his money situation.

Ask him privately who his club is, he'll tell you it's Blackburn Rovers. Give the guy a break, if he wasn't such a good guy trying to help make soccer more accessible in the US he would have never considered leaving for the cash.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In his autobiography he says he had an offer from Villa and Man City. Can't have been all about the money. I can't remember the reason he gave for joining Villa but I am pretty sure he said both JW and Ince did not want him to leave.

He only has good things to say about Rovers to my knowledge and he is most definitely a club legend.

His book, between the sticks, isn't a bad read either. I enjoyed it.

Do salgado and nelsen not count in your reckoning? Salgado especially, who seems to truly love rovers despite having played a decade at one of footballs biggest clubs and one of the best teams ever seen.

Not at all, no. Salgado was in the twilight of his career, wasn't here long, and was forced out before he ever got the chance to jump. Nelsen played for us for a long time, sure. I can't remember a bid ever being tabled though. Both were well rewarded financially. I felt sorry for both of them being forced out, not that it did Ryan any harm, and I respect and like both of them and blame them for nothing, but why should it factor into my reckoning? The point I was making was that my belief that some players could be relied upon to stay loyal to a club no matter what money was waved at them died that day. Nobody can resurrect it, because it's dead. I'd told everyone I knew that Friedel could never leave us for money, certainly not unless it was to a top four team. I felt like that ass who said there was absolutely no way Rhodes would come to Rovers (even though we're talking a far more obvious move up there). I learned then to never presume that a player wouldn't leave us. Regardless what things seem like for them at the club, anybody will leave when a good enough offer comes. That's all I'm saying, that I learned to not make presumptions. I thought Brad was a rare breed of gentlemen. Turns out he was just an ordinary gentleman. Top bloke, years of service, best keeper we've had in my lifetime, but a (naive, I see now) dream died for me that day.

Phil Jones took the ashes of that dream and @#/? on it.

I'm done thinking any player can be relied to stay with us, no matter how it looks, no matter how sideways the step (not from these two on that last bit, but there's been enough of those).

The guy was up to his ears in debt after spending all his money investing in 'soccer' facilities in the USA. The manager (Ince) made it hard work for him, he got offered a wedge and took the bait. He secured his money situation.

Ask him privately who his club is, he'll tell you it's Blackburn Rovers. Give the guy a break, if he wasn't such a good guy trying to help make soccer more accessible in the US he would have never considered leaving for the cash.

We'd always supported him with his school out there, lending him staff. It's not our fault he mismanaged it and got into so much debt. I don't need to give the guy a break, partly because he doesn't need it from me and partly because I made it clear I wasn't blaming him. And I'm gonna bet he would still have left for the triple your money offer Villa made him even if he weren't in debt. I'm sure he is very fond of us, doesn't change a thing. Regarding City...I just checked the dates. The rich Arabs took over City shortly after Friedel had already moved to Villa. Prior to that Thaksin had gotten the club in a bit of a financial mire.

Is that true about Ince? I think I read somewhere at the time that Ince wanted a younger goalkeeper.

I would have to dig the book out again and it's been ages since I read it but I think he said both Ince and JW wanted him to stay and he could only leave should a replacement be found. And he would have liked to have left (which he did) but would of had no problems staying if no replacement was brought in.

Archived