BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1. how is the 1st point remotely good(strange comment!), if a driver has an accident because he was trying to guess what irrational manoeuvre the cyclist wobbling about behind/in-front/beside him is going to do that could cause(and does cause) a serious accident involving every car and pedestrian in the area.

I'd argue if a driver is nervous (wary of, which is how I read your word) another road user's actions this is positive; it means the driver is aware there could be an incident. A driver should not attempt to "guess" what another road user is going to do, if the other person's intentions are not clear the correct behaviour is to hold back until the manoeuvre is clear. If a cyclist is wobbling in front you should be far enough away to avoid hitting him or her if the worst happens - just like you should when following another car, or driving in a built up area with parked cars and a football suddenly bounces in the road!

An example; as a cyclist a few years ago I was riding at 30mph down a local hill with a mini roundabout in a dip at the bottom and an immediate uphill - imagine it like a huge U shape. Friday night, mid summer, dry, sunny. At the top of the downhill two cars driven by young people passed me and I slowed anticipating a problem, they accelerated hard and away. This roundabout has three exits, mine on the approach, one to my left and the exit straight ahead. I reached 30 again halfway down the hill, saw a car approach, out of a pub car park, the exit on my left, stop and roll back. I knew, INSTINCTIVELY, he was going to pull out, which he did turning right across my right of way. I had the brakes full on before he began his turn, threw the bike hard right as he turned in the hope I could get round the front. I hit the driver's door broadside and landed on his bonnet. I 'm sure if I hadn't anticipated and reacted I'd be dead now as I would have hit him head on at 30mph. So my anticipation of bad driving saved my life and possibly ruining his. Amazingly he had to have a new door, new wing mirror and bonnet cost a bucket load of cash - I broke my hand, bike was still perfect, not a scratch!!

2. as for roads mainly been congested with cars, well what else would they be congested with other than motor vehicles.

The point is motorists create the congestion, including me and my car, yet you expect cyclists to stay off the roads? If the congestion is too great perhaps the cause of the congestion should be considered?

3. in regards to your last sentence i don't think its simply a case of using lights and wearing high vis clothing, a good driver should always see cyclists and also be aware of any pedestrians in the area regardless of how light or dark it is, its the unpredictable nature of a lot of cyclists, there inability to drive in a straight line for more than 5 meters and how they all seem to have there own set of rules of what to do at traffic lights/junctions/pedestrian crossings/road works/ect.., normally it comes down to how patient they are and how aware they are of everything that's going on around them for at least 50 meters on both sides of the road(most just seem to blag there way along the rd 1 meter at a time).

What you describe there is people on bikes (POBs) not cyclists. I can guarantee you anyone who regards themselves as a cyclist, and there are hundreds of thousands, does not behave in this way. I agree you will see cyclists jump red lights - be satisfied the vast majority of us think it utterly unacceptable behaviour. Your comments regarding anticipation etc. confirm the point I made at No.1.

finally as well as educating cyclists(mainly those that have no real driving experience to draw from) there needs to be cycle paths right along all main roads and in busy areas then every body would know their place(literally).

Surprisingly the majority of cyclists are also drivers, that's the world we live in. While you are correct regarding the idea of cycle paths we only pay lip service to the concept in this country. Most cycle lanes suffer from serious defects, the main two being those marked on the main carriageway are usually too narrow and often have cars parked in them! Secondly where there is a purpose built cycle path to the left of the carriage way it's common for traffic wanting to enter the road to have priority over the cyclist which makes it impossible to ride at any sort of speed (15-16 mph say). Cycle lanes in this country vary so widely no one knows who has priority over who.

Now back to those kean squirrels - saw two of them trying to nick my bike yesterday......

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very good post paul and i agree with what you're saying, but in regard to your 1st paragraph

"I'd argue if a driver is nervous (wary of, which is how I read your word) another road user's actions this is positive; it means the driver is aware there could be an incident. A driver should not attempt to "guess" what another road user is going to do, if the other person's intentions are not clear the correct behaviour is to hold back until the manoeuvre is clear. If a cyclist is wobbling in front you should be far enough away to avoid hitting him or her if the worst happens - just like you should when following another car, or driving in a built up area with parked cars and a football suddenly bounces in the road!"

as you say the only safe thing a driver can do is hold off which usually means slowing right down to a crawl which then effects the flow of traffic and every other road user which just isn't good for anybody and causes many drivers to loose there patience(im mainly talking about rush hour times), they just simply shouldn't be on the roads if they cant ride in a steady straight line and stay close to the pavement.

your clearly a bit old and twisted then,

also swallows arent an endangered species so some getting killed by another animal is just part of nature and yes grey squirrels may have been introduced by us 100s of years ago, but they are now like it or not part of British nature.

Correct. So now you must agree that squirrels getting killed by another animal is also just a part of nature. Whether that animal has fur, hair or feathers and two legs or four is completely irrelevent.

btw ... would you describe yourself as a 'townie' hardly?

id describe myself as a person that lives in a town like the vast majority on these forums, So if you have something to say just spit it out! Would you describe yourself as a Country Bumpkin?(id call you an arrogant child but sadly i have am inkling your actually just an ignorant old man).

as you say the only safe thing a driver can do is hold off which usually means slowing right down to a crawl which then effects the flow of traffic and every other road user which just isn't good for anybody and causes many drivers to loose there patience(im mainly talking about rush hour times), they just simply shouldn't be on the roads if they cant ride in a steady straight line and stay close to the pavement.

I do see your point and I agree anyone riding a bike should do so responsibly, it would improve the traffic flow. I've done my share of rush hour commuting by car and bike, I don't think cyclists slow it down that much - more that drivers see the rider as the cause and a good opportunity to vent their frustration at being stuck in a jam.

Don't ask us to ride close to the pavement though. It's the most dangerous position a cyclist can take on the road.

Possibly we should now stick to squirrels

id describe myself as a person that lives in a town like the vast majority on these forums, So if you have something to say just spit it out! Would you describe yourself as a Country Bumpkin?(id call you an arrogant child but sadly i have am inkling your actually just an ignorant old man).

Bit prickly today hardly? No offence meant..... it just appears to me that you have a rather 'urban' perspective on things. I on the other hand probably have a more rounded knowledge and more accurate perspective than you as I have experience of living in both a town and the country .

Really? Well shooting the one that I caught destroying the nests of my swallows in the outbuildings gave me no end of pleasure.

You do realise that people like you grow up to become murderers and all that, don't you...?

Starts with small animals, then big animals, then people...

You do realise that people like you grow up to become murderers and all that, don't you...?

Gosh I didn't know that.... where did you get your information?

btw... Where do you live Andy?

Frankly, thats ridiculous.

• Backroom

I can honestly say that while I killed many a spider through pulling off it's legs, many ants by burning with a magnifying glass and several unfortunate worms by swallowing-for-a-dare, I have never been tempted to harm any animal or person that didn't harm me first.

Gosh I didn't know that.... where did you get your information?

btw... Where do you live Andy?

Why? are you going to claim again that his views on animal cruelty and murder are pretty much invalid, because in your words you're "URBAN"(hahaha urban!) if you don't live slap bang in the middle of the countryside(As if where you live makes any difference to what accounts for animal cruelty).

How can you claim that Squirrels are just vermin, when the same can just as easily be said about most birds in this country.

You hate spiders, birds eat spiders, squirrels eat birds therefore squirrels are your enemy.... Simple. ^_^

Squirrels very rarely eat meat of any kind unless absolutely starving, they may occasionally kill/attack birds but this is probably more territorial behaviour, so to add to your post....birds eat spiders, squirrels eat 'kill' birds, thenodrog's kill Squirrels....therefore?

Frankly, thats ridiculous.

he was clearly being a bit tongue in cheek and also likely(and sadly quite wrongly) assuming thenodrog is a child.

Its well known and documented that many serial killers and general sickos do at an early age usually start showing a lack of emotion, respect, humanity towards other lives(creature and human) and most disturbingly get pleasure from killing and mutilating small then gradually larger animals(and I don't really mean bugs and insects).

Aren't domestic cats supposed to be bye far one of the biggest threats to wildlife(birds/small mamals).

P.s. i have no problem with cats at all, just pointing out a fact that makes the 'killing squirrels is good because they prey on wildlife'(which is bs anyway) seem very daft.

Archived