BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley v Rovers 2nd December 2012

Kelbo

Since 1879 there have been 90 meetings between the two clubs, to date, Rovers have most wins (40) Burnley (35) with 15 draws, more importantly, Rovers have not been beaten by our friends down the road for 31 years.

Both clubs were founder members of the football league, but one statistic our neighbours will never be able to emulate, is that Rovers were founder members of both the Football League and the Premier League!!

Over the years there have been quite a number of players who have played for both clubs, I can’t find a comprehensive list but from memory, here are the ones I recall, no doubt I will have missed one or two and some of you will add to this list.

Marshall Burke, Andy Cole, Adam Blacklaw, John Connelly, Eric Binns, Kevin Hird, Keith Newton, David Hamilton, little Johnny Price (4’ 2” in heels, but what a wonderful crosser of a football) Frank Appleby plus of course Andy Todd and Jay McEveley on loan.

There have been many memorable games between the two sides, my most memorable one was the FA Cup 6th Round Tie at Turf Moor, I attended as a schoolboy and was dismayed as we were 3 – 0 down at half time, Alex Elder was marking Bryan Douglas and followed him everywhere, in the second half, Douggie took him for a walk into Rovers half and Peter Dobing had a field day down the right wing, Rovers drawing level with a Mick McGrath goal after a Douglas penalty had set the Rovers up for a great finale, the replay at Ewood with a gate of 55,000 resulted in a 2 – 0 win to send Rovers into the quarter finals and eventually to Wembley for the final v Wolves where Wigan owner Dave Whelan broke his leg leaving Rovers to play with 10 men . Who would have thought, five years later I would have taken part in a Rovers – Burnley derby game and worn the famous Blue & White halves (albeit a B team game at Gawthorpe!!)

For a number of years our neighbours enjoyed much success as Rovers relegation from the old division 1 meant that Burnley held bragging rights with a run of 21 consecutive years in the top flight, fortunately, over the last thirty odd years, those bragging rights have belonged to Rovers.

So we enter the game at Turf Moor on Saturday with much to play for, to continue our bragging rights and to accumulate points which hopefully will keep us in touching distance of the divisional leaders, it will be a tough game, Dyche will have Burnley fired up and resilient and along with Jordan Rhodes, Charlie Austin is one of the best strikers in the division and will need some close attention from our defenders. Out of Rovers present squad only Dunny, Pederson, Robinson and Martin Olsson remain from our last derby game against Burnley, despite this being just over two years ago, much will depend on how the young players react to a real ‘pressure cooker’ situation and will be looking to the experienced players in the squad to guide them through the game and settle them down, this kind of game can either make or break young players and it will be interesting to see how Rovers adapt in this kind of situation.

I posed a number of questions to Longsiders, a member of this messageboard and a staunch Clarets fan and would like to thank him for his time and input, he’s a proper football supporter and his comments and views are honest and open as always, I just hope we are still speaking on the 3rd December!!

Longsiders, after 31 years , do you feel Burnley are capable of ending Rover dominance?

Hard to say. I think the squads are closer than they have been since Jack took over. That said you still have more experience throughout your squad, including players who have played international football for England and Portugal. We have a reasonable chance but it will be hard and I think we will need a little luck. I sometimes feel like fate is determined to keep this particular run going, so add that to fate and I’m not overly hopeful.

Are there any Burnley players we should look out for, obviously we all know about Charlie Austin, but are there others who you feel could be a threat to Rovers?

We have a few. The right back Trippier can cross a great ball in, and the aforementioned Austin is more than happy to get on the end of these. Ings looks to be a very good player but he’s still on the comeback trail after a long injury so not sure how much of him you’ll see. Paterson remains a constant pain for opposition defences and his harrying can often win us possession at the business end of the pitch. Attack has definitely been our strong point this season.

Have Burnley improved as a team since Eddie Howe left the club and Dyche appointed Manager?

Well we have certainly become tighter defensively but equally we’ve scored a lot less too. Overall I’d say yes though. The team has a much greater desire to win and a fighting spirit that sadly was lacking in Howe’s last few months. Had Howe still been here we’d probably have scored 3 or 4 but conceded 5 or 6. I suspect it will be a tighter affair with Dyche at the helm.

If there was one Rovers player you could have in your side on Saturday, who would it be and why?

Just one? Shame. I’d love to see Rhodes and Austin up front together, both young, both prolific. I’m not sure how Murphy has been playing but what I wouldn’t give for a player of that calibre and experience in our midfield so, as we do have Austin, I’ll say Murphy.

As an opposition supporter, are there any Rovers players you feel could be a real danger to you?

Should I just copy your squad list? The obvious one is Rhodes. I thought 8 million was a gamble but one worth taking and so far so good for him. I also look at the experience of Gomes, you can’t under estimate what a player like that can be worth, especially in a pressure cooker like these games can be. I think your midfield though represents a huge challenge for us. I’ve always liked Etuhu and I’ve already highlighted Murphy. We could easily lose this game in midfield and I worry that our players just won’t be able to live with your midfield.

I don’t like making predictions but what would your prediction be of the game on Sunday?

Likewise on predictions, I hate making them but as this is THE derby (whatever the London centric media think) then I’ll make one with my heart rather than head and say 2-1 to the mighty Clarets.

In the present economic climate, where do you see both our clubs going over the next few years?

Bloody hell this is a bit deep for a game preview. Assuming no fluke promotion and no outside investment, no Jack, Roman or Sheik then frankly we are on borrowed time in this division. Each year there are richer and bigger clubs than us with either bigger gates, rich benefactors or both. To me relegation always seems to be when rather than if. For yourselves I honestly don’t know. You’ve got parachute payments for a couple of years that will allow you to be competitive though I’m not sure what your current owners end game is. Assuming their intentions are at worst benign then you have a decent shout of getting back up this season or next. After that I wouldn’t like to predict.

What is your favourite game between the two clubs

I’ve had to go some way back for my favourite game, for obvious reasons ( though I did enjoy the FA cup games in 04/05). I had to check the dates, I have the worst memory in the world and see it was a 2-1 boxing day win for us in 1978, we also did the double over you so I’d love to see a repeat of that this season! I don’t remember much detail of the game, I was only 10, but the excitement and electric atmosphere, the noise of the longside and, of course that we won. Watching football back then was a simpler, cheaper and frankly, despite the wonderful modern stadia, a more enjoyable day out. And now I sound like my dad.

So, as Longsiders has quite rightly put, this is THE derby game, there is no other like it in English football and whilst the points and bragging rights are important, this will not decide any promotion issues, it’s a one off game, a sending off or poor refereeing decision can edge the game one way or another, it’s how the players adapt on the day and how they perform, I don’t expect many major changes in Rovers line up but would imagine the bench will contain experienced campaigners to call upon should the situation arise which Rovers need to get something from after a disappointing result against Millwall on Saturday.

Henning Berg has experienced these games before and am sure he will be passing on his experience to the players, it’s important Rovers keep their discipline and concentrate on winning the game yet for me, I am always happy when these games are over, then I can decide whether to kick the cat or open a bottle of champers!

Enjoy the game!

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was supposed to be going to this one with 1864 Roverite, unfortunatley important family business prevents my attendance. Preston Blue takes my ticket - so good to know my pals will be still be going. You lads behave!!

On the downside I was talking to my mate at yesterday's game, we both said this is the first time - for a very long time that we both don't have that overwhelming confidence that Rovers will win. There is definitely something missing. The fight just doesnt seem to be there.

I hope this week it is drummed into the overseas lads what this game is to the fans.

I dont want to predict the score. I just hope we are not let down.

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!!

I really do not think Rovers can win at burnley this time. I hope I am wrong. Gutted for Ewoodbehappy, he has always been by my side in dingleland matches and he has never seen the trolls win versus Rovers. I fear for Rovers without the lucky charm Mark brings to the game !! Hopefully PB will bring it with him.

I am not going to predict a score, I jut hope the game passes of peacefully, I hope for a Rovers win but more importantly lets see a real football match where the fans, yes BOTH sets, behave properly.

Trouble with a winning streak of 33 years means that the longer it gets, the more important it is to keep it. During the turmoil of the last 2 years, it has seemed at times that all we had left as fans was our record of not losing to them in a generation.

Looking forward to the match immensely, you need to travel far and wide to find a fixture that compares to this one, but if you offered me 0-0 now, I'd be tempted

Great preview. Accurate and kind assesment by longers.

Based on experience and passion of rovers boys;

Robbo

Henley dann hanley givet

Etuhu

Simon Murphy mgp

Gomes Rhodes

You have gomes and Simon involved in Lisbon derbys Murphy in the merseyside Derby.

Dann in the brum vs villa one.

Mgp hanley Martin olsson and Henley all brfc boys. They know how much it means and have played in these.

Great preview. Accurate and kind assesment by longers.

Based on experience and passion of rovers boys;

Robbo

Henley dann hanley givet

Etuhu

Simon Murphy mgp

Gomes Rhodes

You have gomes and Simon involved in Lisbon derbys Murphy in the merseyside Derby.

Dann in the brum vs villa one.

Mgp hanley Martin olsson and Henley all brfc boys. They know how much it means and have played in these.

If we play the likes of MGP in a game like this we're asking for our bums to be spanked. This a game for guys with a heart beating under that badge on the front of the shirt, not a carraway seed. The problem is we've got about 6 players with the gonads to play in this game.

Evening all. After this post I think I shall be giving this board a wide berth until after Sunday. We all know how we get in the build up to these games and I could easily end up ruining my reputation on this board, what's that you say, it couldn't get any worse?

I've tried to be fair in my assessment. I do think we have a chance but I'm surprised at how many of you seem to think we will win. Overall your squad is stronger and you have more experience. I do think both squads have a lot of young players in and how they react could be crucial, on both sides. On balance you should win but I've got a sneaky feeling we've done we'll appointing this manager and he just might be Wiley enough to finally muster up that win we are so desperate for.

Anyway here's hoping for a brilliant game and one where both sets of fans manage to give it full passion without feeling the need to step over the line.

So it's bye for now. Win, lose or draw Sunday I will pop on briefly to gloat/congratulate as appropriate, though it may well be Monday by the time I am sober enough to make sense so please don't think I've bottled it if you win and I don't make an appearance until Monday. I won't wish you luck obviously but be safe.

I was supposed to be going to this one with 1864 Roverite, unfortunatley important family business prevents my attendance. Preston Blue takes my ticket - so good to know my pals will be still be going. You lads behave!!

On the downside I was talking to my mate at yesterday's game, we both said this is the first time - for a very long time that we both don't have that overwhelming confidence that Rovers will win. There is definitely something missing. The fight just doesnt seem to be there.

I hope this week it is drummed into the overseas lads what this game is to the fans.

I dont want to predict the score. I just hope we are not let down.

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!!

I really do not think Rovers can win at burnley this time. I hope I am wrong. Gutted for Ewoodbehappy, he has always been by my side in dingleland matches and he has never seen the trolls win versus Rovers. I fear for Rovers without the lucky charm Mark brings to the game !! Hopefully PB will bring it with him.

I am not going to predict a score, I jut hope the game passes of peacefully, I hope for a Rovers win but more importantly lets see a real football match where the fans, yes BOTH sets, behave properly.

I will be wearing my good luck undies, and eating a squirrel sandwich for breakfast.

Saturday was crap, we were undone by a better team in Millwall. Sunday should be better if Burnley have their food poisoned.

Nice preview and thanks or the sensible moments from Longsiders.

Enjoy the game, no aggro please and keep safe!

Evening all. After this post I think I shall be giving this board a wide berth until after Sunday. We all know how we get in the build up to these games and I could easily end up ruining my reputation on this board, what's that you say, it couldn't get any worse?

I've tried to be fair in my assessment. I do think we have a chance but I'm surprised at how many of you seem to think we will win. Overall your squad is stronger and you have more experience. I do think both squads have a lot of young players in and how they react could be crucial, on both sides. On balance you should win but I've got a sneaky feeling we've done we'll appointing this manager and he just might be Wiley enough to finally muster up that win we are so desperate for.

Anyway here's hoping for a brilliant game and one where both sets of fans manage to give it full passion without feeling the need to step over the line.

So it's bye for now. Win, lose or draw Sunday I will pop on briefly to gloat/congratulate as appropriate, though it may well be Monday by the time I am sober enough to make sense so please don't think I've bottled it if you win and I don't make an appearance until Monday. I won't wish you luck obviously but be safe.

The only fans found wanting in these fixtures are your fans, out supported, out sung, out played, out classed.

Ps - Glad you're keaning off, do us a favour and don't come back :tu:

The only fans found wanting in these fixtures are your fans, out supported, out sung, out played, out classed.

You need to get a life pal, the sooner you do the better for all concerned. Thanks for that Longsider, if we deserve to win we will, if we don't we won't. I've seen us lose to Burnley before, guess what - nobody died and the sun came up the following day. One or two people on here need a reality check.

Longers is a good fair poster mate. Enjoy his contribution. Yes we are rivals but I live in salford citeh it united they love the banter!

I'm pretty sure longsiders understands Gavs tones, they've had banter between em for years.....

Not confident at all, wasn't even going to go the game but ended up giving in.

Need a win or work may become untenable.

That's the spirit! It's nice to be nice?

But I hope the window lickers have sore tongues this time next week!

Archived