BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley v Rovers 2nd December 2012

Kelbo

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, they looked a lot less bothered than they should have done. Probably reading too much into the body language of a couple of players, but if I was one of their fans I wouldn't of liked to see any of their players laughing and joking after losing the derby.

The Burnley fans were just as bad. They didn't even moan that much about the dive after the game. They were already resigned to going down I think and didn't have the energy any more after the Coyle business.

I would like to see Berg drop a couple of players for this one. I think Hanley, Olsson and Rochina should be dropped for this one and Givet, Pedersen and Vukcevic bought in. Berg has stuck with the same starting 11 for a good few games now and some players aren't performing and need to be benched. Hanley is wick and should never play over Givet. Marcus Olsson is fast, but is a headless chicken. Rochina has shown his quality in bits and pieces, but his consistency level is terrible and gives the ball away far too often.

Absolutely devastated about this ticket scenario. I booked flights to Manchester from Berlin to see family in East Lancs before Christmas, coinciding with the Cardiff match. I bought my little brother a season ticket for his birthday this year and this will be the first time we attend a match together, which is great, obviously, and I'm delighted to be heading to my first Rovers match this season. Anyroad, my brother's been desperate to go to the Burnley match, but can't as his Ma has (correctly) said he needs an adult to accompany him. I can't figure out if I'm angrier at the ticket office for putting it on general sale this late, or for any fan that has the opportunity to go to this and chooses not to. What a nonsense. I only booked flights for the Cardiff match as I assumed the 10,000 or so guaranteed attendees at Ewood would be clamouring over themselves to go to this.

To offer my opinion on the previous debate, Burnley is THE match, without doubt. I was born at the end of the 80s and I've only ever been to one derby, which was at Ewood, 5-0 in the promotion season. I didn't have many Burnley-supporting friends growing up (United were the other supported team around our way) but the folks that I went to games with all grew up with the rivalry and seeing what it meant to them was infectious. Craig Short's marauding run down the left flank, deftly finished with a precision cannon-shot, more at home on the green of the snooker baize than the emerald blades of Ewood. How we laughed, nae, howled and hooted at Ian Moore's celebrations in front of the Blackburn End, only to see, long after the fact, that he'd fallen prey to the mighty Rovers' offside trap.

These are up there with some of the best footballing memories I have and, I believe, that I am likely to have. I was too young to really grasp what winning the league meant and I certainly hadn't grown up through the hard times. But witnessing a derby match against the main rivals of the club that you support, surrounded by people that love the club is up there as one of THE things you can ever do as a football supporter, no matter if they're "your" rivals. Are blue and white "your" colours? Is the rose "your" emblem? Is Arte et Labore "your" motto? Does it matter? If Blackburn is "your" club, then so are all its traditions, surely?!

Again, utterly devastated to be missing a game that I could've theoretically been attending and would love to attend. I implore anybody in two minds or in any way able to go, to do it, for people like myself, my brother and the rest of us, who, for whatever reason, cannot.

The Jack/PL thing wasn't a dig, just a fact that pretty much all your fans under say 30 have never known anything but a Rovers that benefited from Jack and have spent most of the seasons watching Rovers in the top flight. I can see why some might argue Burnley are not rivals but I can't see who they would then see as rivals.

I see what you are getting at, the dislike of your lot is for sure stronger in us older fans that the young uns who pretty much grew up without you anywhere in sight of Rovers. Us older ones remeber when you were top dogs for many years and we suffered the ridicule. That is why our 3-2 Boxing Day win at yours will forever be one of my favorite games and days out. Oh for those days eh, Derbies still played on Boxing Day, no tickets just first come first served. Chaos for miles around from early morning till late into the night. I remember getting on early that day and I am bloody glad I did, not long after the gates were locked.

Secured my ticket today. Got a corporate seat in the main stand, gonna have to sit on my hands i think.

Yes you will or the locals might notice you only have 4 fingers and a thumb.

Last time we were kept behind for long enough for the Burnley players to come out near the Rovers coaches, so a fair while

We weren't forced to stay behind - it was by choice. Anybody who wanted to leave at the final whistle to board the coach could have done so.

Lee Mason is the appointed referee so expect to lots of free-kicks given for the slightest contact.

Think you have a good point there in that perhaps the game means more to my old boy generation who went in the 80s than it does to the 'premiership' generation?

70's more like.

How it used to be, playing at the dingledome. Start at a mate's house about 8 am, flagans of cider, quick walk round town to see if anything was going on lived in Accy so there was plenty of them about. Old House at Home was their boozer right across from the busstop to Burnley some fun and games there usually then off to our pub of choice. Couple of hours in the pub then off to the game in a convoy, a hodge podge of cars and transit vans. Into Burnley, more fun and games then off to the ground. MAde our own way back after the games and into Accy for the night out. Brilliant just brilliant.

To be honest if I was there now I can't say if I would do the travel thing myself, just seems so unreal. Is there another game in the country where fans have to go by arranged travel in order to get a ticket?

You can't change history, burnley are our rivals, always have been always will be, some of the posters on here would be well served remembering that.

Please don't tell me you subscribe to the theory our rivals are Man Utd......

Not at all, I''ll leave that to Vinjay.

A mate of mine is a Huddersfield Town fan and he says "Leeds Utd are their mortal enemies". If you look over last 50 years, Rovers have been in the same division as Town as much. I took great delight in being a new mortal enemy.

This season is the first time for many years that Burnley can legitimately (technically?) be seen as a rival. No problem if anyone sees it differently, but I wouldn't give them the credit rivals implies.

"Historic rivals from a time when there were only 3 tv channels" works, as it illustrates the gulf.

To be honest if I was there now I can't say if I would do the travel thing myself, just seems so unreal. Is there another game in the country where fans have to go by arranged travel in order to get a ticket?

Yes. Strangely enough the Nobenders have to do it when they go to the Dingledome

Not at all, I''ll leave that to Vinjay.

A mate of mine is a Huddersfield Town fan and he says "Leeds Utd are their mortal enemies". If you look over last 50 years, Rovers have been in the same division as Town as much. I took great delight in being a new mortal enemy.

This season is the first time for many years that Burnley can legitimately (technically?) be seen as a rival. No problem if anyone sees it differently, but I wouldn't give them the credit rivals implies.

"Historic rivals from a time when there were only 3 tv channels" works, as it illustrates the gulf.

Complete and utter bunkum, it's not about legitimacy it's about history, identity, pride and passion, all things missing on this thread by some.

• Backroom

It wouldn't be Rovers without rovers fans moaning about rovers fans. Seems this game has given some an outlet?

Yep, no such thing as live and let live these days only rules as to what makes you a real fan

Not boycotting - not real fan

Boycotting - not real fan

Protesting - not real fan

Not protesting - not real fan

Not going burnley - should pick another team, make others angry etc etc

Luckily for me I love the football club, have had a season ticket all my life but go purely for the enjoyment of it and couldn't care less about any label or lack of one people want to attach to me it's really means nothing

Do people think Berg knows the historty and culture at Rovers well enough to know how important this game is ?

Think I would give Dunny (if fit) and Peds the chance at turd moor. They both have the passion and know what it means to the supporters.

<-- Goosebumps

http://www.11v11.com...pril-2001-6100/

Its a scandal that this one is not on telly !

• Backroom

Absolutely devastated about this ticket scenario. I booked flights to Manchester from Berlin to see family in East Lancs before Christmas, coinciding with the Cardiff match. I bought my little brother a season ticket for his birthday this year and this will be the first time we attend a match together, which is great, obviously, and I'm delighted to be heading to my first Rovers match this season. Anyroad, my brother's been desperate to go to the Burnley match, but can't as his Ma has (correctly) said he needs an adult to accompany him. I can't figure out if I'm angrier at the ticket office for putting it on general sale this late, or for any fan that has the opportunity to go to this and chooses not to. What a nonsense. I only booked flights for the Cardiff match as I assumed the 10,000 or so guaranteed attendees at Ewood would be clamouring over themselves to go to this.

To offer my opinion on the previous debate, Burnley is THE match, without doubt. I was born at the end of the 80s and I've only ever been to one derby, which was at Ewood, 5-0 in the promotion season. I didn't have many Burnley-supporting friends growing up (United were the other supported team around our way) but the folks that I went to games with all grew up with the rivalry and seeing what it meant to them was infectious. Craig Short's marauding run down the left flank, deftly finished with a precision cannon-shot, more at home on the green of the snooker baize than the emerald blades of Ewood. How we laughed, nae, howled and hooted at Ian Moore's celebrations in front of the Blackburn End, only to see, long after the fact, that he'd fallen prey to the mighty Rovers' offside trap.

These are up there with some of the best footballing memories I have and, I believe, that I am likely to have. I was too young to really grasp what winning the league meant and I certainly hadn't grown up through the hard times. But witnessing a derby match against the main rivals of the club that you support, surrounded by people that love the club is up there as one of THE things you can ever do as a football supporter, no matter if they're "your" rivals. Are blue and white "your" colours? Is the rose "your" emblem? Is Arte et Labore "your" motto? Does it matter? If Blackburn is "your" club, then so are all its traditions, surely?!

Again, utterly devastated to be missing a game that I could've theoretically been attending and would love to attend. I implore anybody in two minds or in any way able to go, to do it, for people like myself, my brother and the rest of us, who, for whatever reason, cannot.

I'm a student on a very tight budget and it's the christmas season. I could spend money and time going to a shithole, but I'll put it towards a day out with the missus to York over the festive period. Is that reasonable enough, oh mighty imhotep?

Going back a bit my best Burnley memory is the match at Turf moor in the 1965-66 relegation season. Rovers were in desperate straits and stuck Mike England up front as an emergency centre forward. Even though we were rubbish that season and heading for the second division we still managed to beat them with England scoring one of the goals if I remember. Duggie scored too I think. Great day and great atmosphere. Didn't go to the Ewood match v Burnley that season. Anyone know the result ?

Quick check with my home-&-away next door neighbour PNE fan he can never recall an occasion where he was unable to make his own way to Turf Moor.

So you're such a committed fan judging others that you didn't go to the away game in Dc 2000?

In December '00, I was 11. Ma put the foot firmly down for that one. Loving your attempted pedantry, though, brightening up my Tuesday morning!

Grandad (rip) always said to me, DESPISE EVERYTHING in claret and blue and that is the way it is.

I clearly have a hatred for little old burnley in the footballing sense and for me, the game has only one meaning for me, Rovers must win at all costs.

Granted, I have actually witnessed the dingles beating us, but since my integration to BRFC in 1971 it is something that I do not care to think of.

Derby day in East Lancs means everything and kid ye not, ALL Rovers fans will hate Burnley with a passion for 90 minutes on sunday.

I'm a student on a very tight budget and it's the christmas season. I could spend money and time going to a shithole, but I'll put it towards a day out with the missus to York over the festive period. Is that reasonable enough, oh mighty imhotep?

Very considered post, thank you kindly. I certainly hope I could contribute to the smugness that no doubt sustains you.

Matter of opinion and a series of recommendations is all that was. I'm pretty sure I wasn't trying to set myself up as some form of mystic deity (you bloody heathen, you).

Money is a limitation we are all at the mercy of. If I had the cash, I'd fly over every weekend and/or midweek night to watch every game, but I can't, sadly. If money is your limiting factor, it's much the same as living on the continent is for me and our of your hands. I guess what I was trying to get at was the fact that I can't fathom those that are banging on about coach times, or lack of booze at the match or that they don't think that Burnley is worth the extra effort required to go to. I'm sorry that, via my own impassioned pleas, I'd offend you. Such an oversight on my behalf.

I also didn't realise how much joy people take in nit-picking on this board. Shame on me, evidently.

Archived