BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley v Rovers 2nd December 2012

Kelbo

Rivals probably isn't the best way to put it, due to the recent history, but there's no doubt that THE match is Burnley. I'm 21, and since I've been of an age when I was properly aware of and cared about Rovers (since we were last in the Championship) we've been mirrored with remarkable consistency by Bolton. Similar sized club as far as infrastructure/fanbase goes, very close geographically (considering other games which pass off as derbies) history of shared players and staff and usually fighting at similar ends of the table.

All that considered, we are playing this team on Wednesday, and frankly, I don't care. Could be anyone, just another match, and I'd happily lose 20-0 no questions asked if it meant we could sneak a jammy win in the proper derby on Sunday. I don't buy into the whole 'I'm a better fan than you' nonsense, people don't need to explain themselves why they choose to go or not go to a football match. All the same, I personally don't understand why people wouldn't want to, these matches are rare, most clubs don't have one that compares, so when they pop around all I can do is relish the occasion

Very well put. That last sentence sums it all up for me and I'm more than twice your age.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Very considered post, thank you kindly. I certainly hope I could contribute to the smugness that no doubt sustains you.

Matter of opinion and a series of recommendations is all that was. I'm pretty sure I wasn't trying to set myself up as some form of mystic deity (you bloody heathen, you).

Money is a limitation we are all at the mercy of. If I had the cash, I'd fly over every weekend and/or midweek night to watch every game, but I can't, sadly. If money is your limiting factor, it's much the same as living on the continent is for me and our of your hands. I guess what I was trying to get at was the fact that I can't fathom those that are banging on about coach times, or lack of booze at the match or that they don't think that Burnley is worth the extra effort required to go to. I'm sorry that, via my own impassioned pleas, I'd offend you. Such an oversight on my behalf.

I also didn't realise how much joy people take in nit-picking on this board. Shame on me, evidently.

It was your own fault for making such a generalised statement. You make no qualification for personal circumstances. You just said that if people can afford to go and have the opportunity to do so, they should. The implication of that is that they're kean fans if they don't go.

With that being said, I can see you probably just meant people should stop coming up with shoddy reasons not to go :P my apologies. Blame it on an early morning with little sleep.

Let's nip that myth in the bud. PNE, Bolton, Blackpool, Leeds.. all make their own way to the Turf with no problem and vice versa.

Yep the moronic nobender gave me a bum steer. He went on the coach from dumpdale even though he lives near Colne and could have gone on his own because, in his words

"I didn't want killing by the 6 fingered inbreds"

Grandad (rip) always said to me, DESPISE EVERYTHING in claret and blue and that is the way it is.

I clearly have a hatred for little old burnley in the footballing sense and for me, the game has only one meaning for me, Rovers must win at all costs.

Granted, I have actually witnessed the dingles beating us, but since my integration to BRFC in 1971 it is something that I do not care to think of.

Derby day in East Lancs means everything and kid ye not, ALL Rovers fans will hate Burnley with a passion for 90 minutes on sunday.

The problem with this game is that there is hardly anyone left at the Club who understands how important this game is to us. We need a special passion for this game and I fear they'll have more of it.

For me, the result is completely down to whether Burnley attack rovers with passion from the off. If they do that, we don't have the players with the strength of character, or the physical attributes to stay with them. So sad.

The problem with this game is that there is hardly anyone left at the Club who understands how important this game is to us. We need a special passion for this game and I fear they'll have more of it.

I've no idea who has more, but if you take the two clubs playing staff and management, which has the more people who have been involved in a Burnley/Rovers derby?

Going off players, both squads have about a handful who have been involved in previous derbies.

We have MGP, Givet, Robbo, Dunn and Olsson,

They have Jensen, Duff, Paterson and (I think) McCann.

Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to how many of those will play

Question for the folk who are big going because of bring stuck in a coach for a few hours... Will you apply that logic if we get to wembley or will it be bandwagon time.

Costing me a fortune for the game if I include much needed overtime that I've turned down.

Think you have a good point there in that perhaps the game means more to my old boy generation who went in the 80s than it does to the 'premiership' generation?

I'd agree with that.

It certainly seems to appeal more to the old boys, who sat in t'terraces back 1784, when 'it wer' good old days' and 'football was football'.

I understand that we're local rivals and everything, but we've hardly played them in my lifetime and I'm in my 20's - and even when we do, we batter them.

It'll be nice to get 3 points, but if we lose or draw it's hardly the end of the world. We've all got bigger and more important things in our lives.

I also think it means more to them - we're the richer, bigger, better looking sibling and they are the 13-fingered, webbed-toed, lisping afterbirth that can't see anything better in life than getting one over on us.

I'd agree with that.

It certainly seems to appeal more to the old boys, who sat in t'terraces back 1784, when 'it wer' good old days' and 'football was football'.

I understand that we're local rivals and everything, but we've hardly played them in my lifetime and I'm in my 20's - and even when we do, we batter them.

It'll be nice to get 3 points, but if we lose or draw it's hardly the end of the world. We've all got bigger and more important things in our lives.

I also think it means more to them - we're the richer, bigger, better looking sibling and they are the 13-fingered, webbed-toed, lisping afterbirth that can't see anything better in life than getting one over on us.

Yeah you're not bothered at all are you? Can't help but think a few people are getting their defence in early, just in case you lose, you know a kind of 'well as I said before the game I really wasn't bothered about this game, I just want to be back playing our real rivals Manchester United'

Damn, I promised myself I was staying away and not biting to any of these posts.

When Rovers were in decline in the late 1960s and early 1970s and we weren't at home a group of us often used to go to Turf Moor to see first division football (we supported the opposition of course). Burnley had the likes of O'Neill, Coates, Thomas, James, Hankin, Flynn, Waldron then - players in a different class to anything we had at Ewood. Remember some cracking matches against the great Leeds team in particular. Always enjoyed merry banter with Burnley fans but never understood the "hatred" thing and would always support Burnley and any Lancashire town club if they were playing a southern team.

Archived