BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New midfielder in January ?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another central midfielder is needed, I agree. But then what do you do with 40k pw Murphy and 4 year deal man Etuhu? Who in their right minds would take them off us?

Its a very good question and we are surely into trouble with these two.

We can hope that Murphys wife is putting her foot down and want to come back to London? Or Etuhu going back to Africa to play?

Let's splash som cash for Tom Ince, Zaha or someone else with pace and the ability to take a man on. Would love to get Ryo Miyachi off Wigan if that loan is cancelled, doesn't seem to be playing that much.

But Tom Ince / Zaha are not the player we need.

We have players with the ability to take a man on. We need a midfield battler IMO

Another central midfielder is needed, I agree. But then what do you do with 40k pw Murphy and 4 year deal man Etuhu? Who in their right minds would take them off us?

We could donate their bodies to medical science?

• Moderation Lead

I'd say we need 2 central midfielders, as Murphy and Etuhu haven't been convincing by and large. Dunn is always injured, and Lowe, well he tries!

I still reckon we'll have to sell before we buy though.....

Its a very good question and we are surely into trouble with these two.

We can hope that Murphys wife is putting her foot down and want to come back to London? Or Etuhu going back to Africa to play?

But Tom Ince / Zaha are not the player we need.

We have players with the ability to take a man on. We need a midfield battler IMO

We do?

Realistically i think we will be looking to offload at least halve a dozen players before any real quality signings are made.

Cant believe some people are suggesting we should spend big again on attacking wide players(barmy!), its the heart and backbone of the team that's weak(to say the least), to stand any chance of promotion this year we primarily need an experienced commanding centre back and centre midfielder(and by experienced I do not mean old and haggered).

If we got promoted this year I honestly think we would need:

New striker

New left and right winger

3 new CMs

Back up RB

Back up LB

To even compete.

To be fair, 8 signings is about right for promoted teams. You could probably cut it down as well, 2 good CMs would suffice and we could probably do without another striker if Best returns to his top form after injury.

Anybody watch West Ham Vs Chelsea last week? Mohammed Diame was man of the match and helped West Ham win against all odds. My point is he is a defensive Midfielder and the way he played, breaking play up, flying in with tackles, chasing defenders down is what Etuhu and Lowe should be doing, but neither i feel are capable of this. He was absolutely awesome, he used to play for wigan last year. Wigan seem to find great players on a low budget, there are players out there, its a case of finding them! We have not had a good aggressive defensive midfielder at the club since jermaine jones left, we definately need to improve in this area.

Right le chuck, except he forgot one of the most glaring shortcomings- we need a quality centre half. Hanley and Dann are not cut out for the Prem. I would say we might not need a new left ot right winger, if Nunes and/or Olsson 2 can develop quickly and Vukcevic gets some bloody game time there.

Might be a bit unrealistic, (or a lot, Im not quite sure :P ), but what about Ruben Yttergard Jenssen?

He's young and got potential, and he's a good leader, and can play several midfield positions.

Also Berg being the same nationality, might make it more appealing to him, although he is quite well known so the price would probably be too high.

Anybody watch West Ham Vs Chelsea last week? Mohammed Diame was man of the match and helped West Ham win against all odds. My point is he is a defensive Midfielder and the way he played, breaking play up, flying in with tackles, chasing defenders down is what Etuhu and Lowe should be doing, but neither i feel are capable of this. He was absolutely awesome, he used to play for wigan last year. Wigan seem to find great players on a low budget, there are players out there, its a case of finding them! We have not had a good aggressive defensive midfielder at the club since jermaine jones left, we definately need to improve in this area.

We effectively don't have a scouting team anymore, shebby got rid of it. If you ask me I'd say shebby is just as bad as our old friend JA for transfers....

Realistically i think we will be looking to offload at least halve a dozen players before any real quality signings are made.

Cant believe some people are suggesting we should spend big again on attacking wide players(barmy!), its the heart and backbone of the team that's weak(to say the least), to stand any chance of promotion this year we primarily need an experienced commanding centre back and centre midfielder(and by experienced I do not mean old and haggered).

Agreed, we need a John McNammee type at centre half and a Ken Knighton style midfielder.

Maybe instead of looking at 'name' players or 'the next big thing', the club should be scouring the lower leagues for some real old school passionate experienced players looking to prove a point. Most teams in the championship that get promoted are usually made up of these types of unknown players, yes the usually get found out in the prem league(but just getting there should be the clubs 1 and only target).

Does Barton still have a ban outstanding in England?

It's obvious we need something new in the middle of the park, but I highly doubt Berg will be given sufficient transfer funds/ wages for this area because it would mean 2 of our current big earners benchwarming. It would also make it look as though Venky's representative here on Earth who must have sanctioned these signings look like a clueless idiot.

Archived