BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New midfielder in January ?

Palacios is linked with Rovers on loan in the Sunday People

I really hope not. Another player with no Championship experience whose career is on a steady decline.

We need players who are hungry and understand this division. We've got enough old PL players in our squad. Frimpong would be my first choice if it's a loan deal.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope not. Another player with no Championship experience whose career is on a steady decline.

We need players who are hungry and understand this division. We've got enough old PL players in our squad. Frimpong would be my first choice if it's a loan deal.

Exactly what I was going to say. Why do we want another overpaid, underperforming Premiership midfielder who, I suspect, will be about as much use as Etuhu and Murphy have been. Hungry and tested in the division MUST be the prerequisite for any potential CM signing.

I don't know about that. You may well be right but it seems something of a generalization to dismiss any out-of-favour PL player.

Surely every player should be judged on his own merits? Maybe Palacios would flourish away from the PL spotlight?

Who's to say his no-nonsense approach isn't exactly what we need right now?

And he's only 28. Hardly time to draw out his pension.

I don't know about that. You may well be right but it seems something of a generalization to dismiss any out-of-favour PL player.

Surely every player should be judged on his own merits? Maybe Palacios would flourish away from the PL spotlight?

Who's to say his no-nonsense approach isn't exactly what we need right now?

And he's only 28. Hardly time to draw out his pension.

It's a trap a lot of Championship clubs fall into though, loaning past it PL players. Look at the top end of the Championship, those squads have hungry, driven players with plenty of experience in this league. Those that try to throw money at quick fixes from the PL rarely get promoted.

I didn't mention his age either. He's had years of injuries and poor form. It's an expensive gamble that probably wouldn't pay off. Long standing injury problems mean he probably won't be able to give us the mobility and physical presence we need.

When you think about it; Spurs is a player graveyar. He would probably fit right in to the northwest as he did at Wigan.

He's been at Stoke for a while now. Behind Glenn Whelan and Dean Whitehead in the pecking order.

It's a trap a lot of Championship clubs fall into though, loaning past it PL players. Look at the top end of the Championship, those squads have hungry, driven players with plenty of experience in this league. Those that try to throw money at quick fixes from the PL rarely get promoted.

The problem is that hungry Championship players (not the Robbo kind, I assume?) are going to cost money because there's little chance of them loaning out to a rival club. I really don't see where the money is going to come from in January. We have bugger all to sell and Venky's won't be putting their hand in their pocket after splashing out £8m on Rhodes and the rest.

'I didn't mention his age either.

Sure you did:

"We've got enough old PL players in our squad."

The problem is that hungry Championship players (not the Robbo kind, I assume?) are going to cost money because there's little chance of them loaning out to a rival club. I really don't see where the money is going to come from in January. We have bugger all to sell and Venky's won't be putting their hand in their pocket after splashing out £8m on Rhodes and the rest.

Unless Stoke subsidise his wages though, it could be more expensive on wages alone to take someone like Palacios than it would be to sign a top performer from one of our divisional rivals.

Sure you did:

"We've got enough old PL players in our squad."

Just my poor English there. I meant it more like "ex PL players".

The current top six are all made of Championship proven players. The likes of Swansea, Southampton, Norwich, QPR, Reading, Blackpool etc were all the same. Even West Ham signed the likes of Maynard, Vaz Te etc to do a job in this league.

Not a single one of our players, except perhaps Scott Dann and Leon Best, has extensive Championship experience and it shows in nearly every game.

I doubt we'd be able to attract any top half Championship players though.....apart from if we spend loads.

Without getting into the who was in charge of our signings debate, I'm pretty sure I heard Kean mention we wanted top players from top half teams but they were unwilling to sell.

Any promotion chasing team will want silly money for one of their best players.....and they'll use that money to strengthen quite a bit anyway.

Maynard came from Bristol City and Vaz Te from Barnsley.....so we'd have to sign players from those sorts of teams.

So ex-PL players is probably the way to go.....not Palacios though, I don't think he's the answer....he was really good at Wigan but so was Chimbonda.

I didn't mention his age either. He's had years of injuries and poor form. It's an expensive gamble that probably wouldn't pay off. Long standing injury problems mean he probably won't be able to give us the mobility and physical presence we need.

He's been at Stoke for a while now. Behind Glenn Whelan and Dean Whitehead in the pecking order.

He's behind another midfield player at Stoke as well, I wonder who it is ? I agree with you for once. I really rated him at Wigan, if we could have the Palacios of a few years back I'd be delighted but as you say injuries and time out of the first team scene have reduced him to our level.

Palacios would bring exellent balance, both him and Cattermole seemed to be everywhere when they played at Wigan.

It's seemed that we've put all of our eggs in one basket this season by expecting Murphy and Etuhu to dominate the midfield in the majority of games, which has backfired so far. Palacios plays the game at the sort of pace which would hopefully bring the best out of Murphy, which is essential if we still hope to go up this year.

Start at the back...

Robbo out - Friedel on a 18 mths contract

Dann out - Any half decent centre back in who has a point to prove.

Maybe Wooton from United on loan as cover

Barton - centre mid or someone with something to prove like Gosling from Newcastle

Bentley on loan - right wing

Kenwyne Jones type player in on loan to play the target man and help JR. Maybe Vaz Te at West Ham if he is out of favour?

Barton is totally unrealistic, why would he come back from Marseille to join us?

Vaz Te was in favour pre-injury, besides we don't need a striker, Gomes, Best, Kazim, Rochina and King can all partner Rhodes.

Youngsters like Wootton aren't what we need.

Players like Pennant, Upson and Palacios at Stoke and Gordon on a free would improve us. Giving us experience and some balance.

Robinson

Henley Upson Givet Mn Olsson

Pennant Murphy Palacios Nunes

Rhodes Best

Players like Pennant, Upson and Palacios at Stoke and Gordon on a free would improve us. Giving us experience and some balance.

Robinson

Henley Upson Givet Mn Olsson

Pennant Murphy Palacios Nunes

Rhodes Best

So another three washed-up Premier League players?

Cardiff aren't full of them, Crystal Palace aren't full of them, Southampton/Reading/Norwich/QPR/Swansea etc weren't full of them.

It's really not the way to go to get promoted. Get players who understand the division and who will fight tooth and nail for a crack at the Premier League.

My opinion, is that we need a strong, athletic, midfielder who is willing to rough up the opposition. Years ago this meant looking at Scottish players, this is no longer the case. What I would do, is look to scout countries that have a track record of producing aggressive sportsmen who want to win. The USA and Australia would not be bad places to start looking. Mind you I doubt we have scouts in Blackburn, never mind anywhere else.

Trying to remember whether it was Ken Furphy or Gordon Lee, think it was Furphy, he said, to get out of the league, you need a winning mentality and he went and got players who had been with successful teams, who knew how to win, had that mentality, looking at our team, cant see one player who has won anything!

Have a look at the lower leagues successful teams, I would gaurantee there will be a midfielder there who can do a great job with energy and enthusiasm who wont cost a packet, as I dont watch too much football at that level, I dont know who the players would be, but we should have scouts who know.

Speaking of which, Stoke will have one or two who work hard and wont take many prisoners!!

My opinion, is that we need a strong, athletic, midfielder who is willing to rough up the opposition. Years ago this meant looking at Scottish players, this is no longer the case. What I would do, is look to scout countries that have a track record of producing aggressive sportsmen who want to win. The USA and Australia would not be bad places to start looking. Mind you I doubt we have scouts in Blackburn, never mind anywhere else.

Yeah, the Aussie mentality is win, win, win at all costs, played cricket with a few, arrogant buggers but boy did they want to win!!

Barton is totally unrealistic, why would he come back from Marseille to join us?

we don't need a striker, Gomes, Best, Kazim, Rochina and King can all partner Rhodes.

Youngsters like Wootton aren't what we need.

Players like Pennant, Upson and Palacios at Stoke and Gordon on a free would improve us. Giving us experience and some balance

So lets sign a load of old pro's who dont really need to do well or progress as they are past their prime and couldnt give a monkeys.

Barton has a point to prove, he has a big ego and believes he's international class.

Archived