BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackpool vs Rovers

cn174

What was apparent from the game on sat is that our Achilles heel is lack of confidence. For the fist 20 Mins. we weren't superb but we were comfortable and dominating Blackpool, as soon the goal went in the heads dropped. Some players then went missing, they stopped wanting the ball, stopped making runs, stopped challenging and as soon as they they did receive the ball they wanted to get rid straight away.

The total lack of confidence was evident from the throw-ins, every time we had one apart from CKR no one had the clangers to receive the ball. You can have the best team in the world but if 4/5 player stop wanting the ball any team will have problems. It was also evident the lack of leaders on the pitch, there was no communication at all and after the second goal went in the lads were a disgrace all walking back mute with their heads down.

IMO we need Dunny back in the side to try and fire some of these cowards in blue & white up.

Totally agree - and possibly Pedersen - for all his faults he always shows for the ball.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For all the doom and gloom - and I have never felt so miserable about Rovers as I do now - over 90 minutes it wasn't as bad as some are making out - but the lack of confidence after going a goal down was noticeable.

I think where most fans are disappointed - is a feeling that we have the quality within the side to beat teams like Blackpool. Possibly lack of fitness training in pre-season is hampering Berg - but even then these players should be able to put in a good 70 minutes before fitness starts to drop. The one unknown is confidence - and Berg is right that the impact of a lack of confidence can appear to be a lack of effort. Oh for the luck we had earlier in the season.

One thing were Shebby did let Berg down - if he had been appointed within a week or so - he would have had a far easier run of matches than he started with.

Come on DMTP, you don't need to be confident in order to run around and put the odd tackle in.

Come on DMTP, you don't need to be confident in order to run around and put the odd tackle in.

But you need to be confident to pass and move - which is what is seriously missing. Prior to them scoring the movement was ok - and so was the closing down - as soon as we conceded you could see a noticeable difference. Berg is right - a confident team is on the front foot - you put a tackle in because you are confident your space is being covered, you make a run off the ball as you know it will either create space for a pass (which you will receive) or create holes for somebody to run into.

The most worrying thing - Berg had a half-time team talk to try and lift the troops - whatever he said had the reverse effect as we were nowhere near as good in the second half (which was very frustrating as Blackpool were no better than us second half - just two poor teams - if they sell Ince they could be struggling).

The whole spine of the team is missing. We need a new central pairing in both the defence and midfield.

I am so angry that nobody in the club was scouting the Championship/League 1 when we looked doomed with 6 games to go in the Premier League.

We should have been looking at the likes of Palace, Millwall, Forest and so on. We WERE the big boys in this league.

I look forward to seeing this in January:

Rhodes Best

King NEW NEW Simon

Olsson NEW NEW Henley

NEW

We are crying out for a box to box midfielder who can score, set up goals, create chances and drive this team forward. Lowe is not good enough and i won't even mention the person who played alongside him at Blackpool.

The whole spine of the team is missing. We need a new central pairing in both the defence and midfield.

I am so angry that nobody in the club was scouting the Championship/League 1 when we looked doomed with 6 games to go in the Premier League.

We should have been looking at the likes of Palace, Millwall, Forest and so on. We WERE the big boys in this league.

I look forward to seeing this in January:

Rhodes Best

King NEW NEW Simon

Olsson NEW NEW Henley

NEW

We are crying out for a box to box midfielder who can score, set up goals, create chances and drive this team forward. Lowe is not good enough and i won't even mention the person who played alongside him at Blackpool.

Couldn't agree more, but i'd also replace King, and Henley isn't first team material just yet.

Parsonblue's match report is now published to the front page here.

I love Parson's match reports, I do feel for him having to watch every game and then write about it - must be miserable work at the moment. Given he hasn't committed suicide, he must be a glass half full man!

An excellent, yet depressing read at the same time

Berg, please look at what Chris Hughton did at Norwich. Conceding goalsforfun, he steadied the ship by ensuring 2 enforcers in front of the back 4, then this allowed the wings to play and create.

We need rid of Etuhu, Murphy and need a strong tackler there with Lowe. The lad is not being given any help, remember he is a new boy also. Play 4.5.1 for a couple of weeks and allow the wingers to attack bymaking 3central midfielders cover the defence and stop shots and crosses raining in.

Thanks for that Parson. This quote says a lot to me:

"Indeed, for the first time in over 50 years of supporting the club I’m sad to say that I’m beginning not to care."

In fact it says everything I need to know. When people like you are feeling this way, we have big, big problems.

What was apparent from the game on sat is that our Achilles heel is lack of confidence. For the fist 20 Mins. we weren't superb but we were comfortable and dominating Blackpool, as soon the goal went in the heads dropped. Some players then went missing, they stopped wanting the ball, stopped making runs, stopped challenging and as soon as they they did receive the ball they wanted to get rid straight away.

The total lack of confidence was evident from the throw-ins, every time we had one apart from CKR no one had the clangers to receive the ball. You can have the best team in the world but if 4/5 player stop wanting the ball any team will have problems. It was also evident the lack of leaders on the pitch, there was no communication at all and after the second goal went in the lads were a disgrace all walking back mute with their heads down.

IMO we need Dunny back in the side to try and fire some of these cowards in blue & white up.

You may well be right about the confidence issue but surely one of the main tasks of the manager and his assistant is to instill the right mental attitude in the players.

To have them up for it from the off and to make them resolute and determined enough to fight back not merely fold like a deck of cards simply because we concede a goal.

To

Superb match report by Parson Blue on the front page.

Captures the growing apathy among the supporter base perfectly. When a club loses its supporters, it's royally fooked.

We're heading in that direction at an alarming rate of knots and we badly need something positive to cling on to.

Where it will come from is anybody's guess. Just hope it comes soon.

Excellent summation from parson as always, especially the analysis of Rhodes and the 'statuesque and bewildered' Etuhu.

Personally didn't think it was anywhere near the worst performance of the season - we saw far worse under Kean and Black - though the results somewhat glossed over this.

Good report PB but imo this is wrong.... 'This is a club in crisis — a crisis which began the moment the Rao family walked through the door and took the advice of people who had little or no understanding about a small-town club in East Lancashire and what made it tick.'

The people they took advice off were not people with little or no understanding imo they are better described as opportunist con merchants on a get rich quick mission.

Okay. So if I had to analyse the problems we have they would go like this:-

1) No leaders

2) No one to pick up the ball from defence

3) Lack of creativity between midfield and strikers.

4) Too much width in midfield - needs to be narrowed to protect the full backs.

-----------------Keane

Henley----Dann----Givet----Olsson

Formica---Lowe----Dunn--Vukcevic

------------Rhodes---Kazim

1) Get Dunn to pick up the ball deep and circulate it.

2) Formica and Vukcevic have to put a shift in and protect the full backs. If Vukcevic isn't fit enough to cover the ground then drop him for Marcus (much as it pains me to say it).

3) Let the full backs overlap to provide the width. Wide players need to fill in.

Frankly none of the above addresses the central probelm which is a lack of leadership.... but then when Gael Givet looks like a kitten at the moment, and seasoned pros like Dann and Etuhu looked stunned and scared you wonder if there are any options.

The problem with that is, even when Dunn isn't injured, he's just not up to first team football anymore.

He's fine in a testimional-style match, but the Championship is about power and pace...and Dunn has neither.

Jake K (refuse to use that surname) will concede more goals this season that Robbo, so unless Brad makes a return in a couple of weeks, I would stick with Robbo.

Givet has been out of the side for so long that he's bound to be somewhat rusty, but once he's back into the swing of things, he will be our best defender by a stretch.

Yeak OK booth.... slip of the pen. The stupid know nowts who howled for Allardyce out have learned a very harsh lesson. Unfortunately we've all suffered for their stupidity.

I have to admit he got on my wick sometimes but I don't think there was a better man around at that time to keep the ship steady. There's a difference between someone not being someone's cup of tea and someone howling for him to be sacked.

For what it's worth I think Allardyce would have left after his contract ended anyway. I couldn't have seen him working under the current conditions.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="joey_big_nose" data-cid="1349983" data-time="1355835231"><p>

Okay. So if I had to analyse the problems we have they would go like this:-<br />

<br />

1) No leaders<br />

2) No one to pick up the ball from defence<br />

3) Lack of creativity between midfield and strikers. <br />

4) Too much width in midfield - needs to be narrowed to protect the full backs.<br />

<br />

-----------------Keane<br />

Henley----Dann----Givet----Olsson<br />

Formica---Lowe----Dunn--Vukcevic<br />

------------Rhodes---Kazim<br />

<br />

1) Get Dunn to pick up the ball deep and circulate it. <br />

2) Formica and Vukcevic <em class='bbc'>have </em>to put a shift in and protect the full backs. If Vukcevic isn't fit enough to cover the ground then drop him for Marcus (much as it pains me to say it). <br />

3) Let the full backs overlap to provide the width. Wide players need to fill in.<br />

<br />

Frankly none of the above addresses the central probelm which is a lack of leadership.... but then when Gael Givet looks like a kitten at the moment, and seasoned pros like Dann and Etuhu looked stunned and scared you wonder if there are any options.</p></blockquote>

Not enough running in midfield, too lightweight and no one who can get stuck in - know it is Championship but Dunn can't play in a 2 man centre midfield. It wouldn't last as he can't do 90 mins these days.

Archived