SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The proposed trial for safe-standing area's

Ben-2000

134 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a safe standing area at Ewood

• Yes
    • No

Was just wondering with this debate now gathering some momuentum and 13 clubs expressing an interest to take part in a trial, do you think it's something Rovers should look at getting involved in?

Also, would you as a fan want the opportunity to be able to choose an area to legally stand whilst watching the game?

Maybe a poll would be in order for this mods?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they'd rather trial it at grounds that have people in them so that rules Ewood out soon

In reply to the question though I already do stand because of where my seat it located, but of course I would be in favour of it being officially introduced yes

• Backroom

Stupid idea, for me. Clearly, stadium disasters haven't taught some people anything.

Along with the idea of 'netting', it would seem football is now going backward.

There's a huge difference between people standing in grounds then and now. Do you really think in the current culture and climate the authorities would introduce a scheme like this if they thought in any way it could end in some kind of disaster?

I back it completely. I would love to see the back 10 Rows of the BBE trialled for this. That way you can both sit and stand in one tier.

Unfortunately there are too many short sighted views on this subject, and once standing is mentioned very quick replies of:

"Seating has helped diversify the fan base"

"Its stopped hooliganism"

"What about the disasters"

"Its not safe"

Nobody has proposed making the whole ground standing. However as fans and those paying to watch and fund the game, it would be great to have the choice.

This option is also far safer than people who stand in the seated areas.

I can only see this move as a positive that can help increase atmospheres at football matches.

• Backroom

Just to relate to the point about netting made above (going backwards), a mesh made from fishing line (1cmx1cm squares) is perfectly fine to see through at a distance of around 50ft. It wouldn't impede vision very much at all. Hanging such mesh from the roof of stadia would provide a barrier for coins (5p's aside, perhaps), but be fine in terms of 'crushes', as you'd just run under it should you need to.

On topic, I think the back 5 rows of each tier should be standing. There wouldn't be a crush as tickets would be allocated as if there were still seats in those places. I'd even argue the seats should remain, but the AREA be a 'standing-permitted' area. No issues with a 'crush' there at all.

I think its a good idea, as people stand in many grounds and do not use the seats. It would be good to be in a controlled environment. I was speaking to an older lady yesterday though and she stated she would love to go to away games, however will not because everyone stands and it spoils her enjoyment of the game. She said she cannot stand for 90 minutes and it does not matter where she sits, its spoilt by those who do stand.

I don't think the standing issue at away games can be altered, but having a section for home supporters would be good. The only problem I would see at home games is some people have sat in certain places for a long time and getting them to move would be another issue

• Backroom

I think its a good idea, as people stand in many grounds and do not use the seats. It would be good to be in a controlled environment. I was speaking to an older lady yesterday though and she stated she would love to go to away games, however will not because everyone stands and it spoils her enjoyment of the game. She said she cannot stand for 90 minutes and it does not matter where she sits, its spoilt by those who do stand.

I don't think the standing issue at away games can be altered, but having a section for home supporters would be good. The only problem I would see at home games is some people have sat in certain places for a long time and getting them to move would be another issue

Don't worry about Mercerman, he'll stay in the JW no matter what :P (Sorry, Merce!)

Just to relate to the point about netting made above (going backwards), a mesh made from fishing line (1cmx1cm squares) is perfectly fine to see through at a distance of around 50ft. It wouldn't impede vision very much at all. Hanging such mesh from the roof of stadia would provide a barrier for coins (5p's aside, perhaps), but be fine in terms of 'crushes', as you'd just run under it should you need to.

On topic, I think the back 5 rows of each tier should be standing. There wouldn't be a crush as tickets would be allocated as if there were still seats in those places. I'd even argue the seats should remain, but the AREA be a 'standing-permitted' area. No issues with a 'crush' there at all.

Well then go the whole hog and put giant perspex up like they do in Italy. Then coins can't get through at all.

As Laudrup said yesterday, one idiot out of 100k ruining it for us all. If the distance between fans and players was considered large now, this just futhers it.

In terms of standing, I just don't see the benefit, especially for those who have had a few to drink. The risk of injury is far greater stood up, which is why I think it's a step back.

The 96 families condemned it yesterday too.

• Backroom

Not fussed either way myself

I do find it pathetic when people kick up a fuss if asked to sit down though as it stands you don't have a right to stand there

It's even worse when a collective starts abusing stewards for trying to do their job

Heard on the radio today that Celtic and Aberdeen are trialling standing in Scotland. The argument is, apparently, if the Scottish league accepts standing is OK, the principle will have been established, under UK law, and set a legal precedent.

Harder for others to argue against it and easier for those who want it to challenge the status quo.

My preference of course would be the Darwen End. It's currently unreserved anyway so would not affect anybody who has sat somewhere for years. Obviously though the area can only be discussed if the club firstly expresses an interest in trialling and then if it is actually given the go ahead.

Seats would still he present in any possible trial but they would he locked upright with a barrier along each row.

yes standing areas/terraces should be brought back, i cant think of a legit reason for them not to be and at least halve a dozen why they should be back(albeit only in relitevly small sections of say 100 or so per section).

Its only poor stewarding/policing that can cause them to be unsafe.

standing indeed does occur in seated areas, and that it cause of mighty big bruises week in week out..... and sore knees when seated at the seat in front is too close..

Absolutely, my calves/shins are still battered from Turf Moor the other week, sheer pandemonium when Rhodes bagged!

The 96 families condemned it yesterday too.

In spite of what they have suffered, their opinions on the matter are no more valid than anyone else's. In fact, they may even be less so since they are almost certainly based on an emotional response rather than any knowledge of the issue. Consider how different grounds are now compared to then. The introduction of electronic turnstiles in so many top flight grounds virtually guarantees that there will never be enough people in a single stand to create a danger of a crush by itself.

You have to wonder what the world has come to when grown men aren't trusted to stand up. Sit down, take your flag off its stick and drink out of a plastic cup. How many grounds even still give you the responsibility of keeping a lid on a bottle of coke?

Archived