BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Brighton

The Dart

brfcbanner_zpsd06ec73a.jpg

Ho Ho Oh Dear!! Happy Christmas!

santarover_zps654c4eb9.png

The above picture of Santa Claus was taken after the Blackpool game last Saturday.

The Situation.

Rovers begin the Christmas period at home against Brighton and have a run of 4 games in 10 days. A potential 12 points to be won by new years afternoon. The other games are Middlesbrough away 26th, Barnsley away 29th and Forest at home on New Years day.

Rovers will be hoping to avoid a 4th straight home defeat on Saturday though thankfully the record is 7 so we wont have anything to celebrate on that front until the Charlton game on the 19th January at the earliest.

Rover currently sit 15th in the table, while Brighton are way up in 8th place just 4 points ahead.

Form

Rovers DWLLDL 5pts

Brighton DWDWLD 9pts

Player Watch

Rovers - Jordan Rhodes 13 league goals in 21 games.

Brighton - Craig Mackail-Smith 10 league goals in 18 games.

History

The last season Rovers and Brighton were together was quite a memorable one, if you're old enough. Rovers went up and Albion went down. It was 1991/1992.

There has been 28 league meetings between the sides and it stands at Rovers 11 wins, Albion 10 wins and 7 draws. With Rovers scoring 38 goals and Albion 39.

Tactic Watch

Dunno about Rovers at the minute, no-one does but Brighton have been practicing a new type of defensive wall strategy.

brighton1_zps5da78915.png

And Finally...

A clip of Brighton V Rovers from 1978/1979.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there at that 1979 defeat at the Goldstone. Couldn't believe the ref let that goal which came through two flares stand.

We have had quite a habit of losing unluckily to Brighton down the years.

I guess we are overdue a gut-wrenching unlucky defeat after a decent performance. 0-1

Suggest that supporters give Venky's, Singh, Shaw and Agnew a good kick up the arse on Saturday simply by not atttending.

It's the only language they seem to understand.

B o l l o c ks to get behind the lads - the support the TEAM has had over the last two years has been phenomenal and drastic action is now needed to force change for the better.

What memories that preview brings back, The Dart; thanks for it. I, too, was at that game and couldn't believe that: 1] the ref allowed their first goal to stand; and 2] John Pickering and the rest of the coaching team in our dugout didn't protest more vigorously. Btw, does anybody else see any similarities between Brighton's second goal in that game and Blackpool's goals yesterday?

As for next Saturday [traditionally a day for low attendances, surely?], I wouldn't be surprised if there were fewer than 10,000 at Ewood; but, equally, wouldn't be surprised to see the official attendance figure "massaged" to nearer the season's official average of just over 14,250.

As for current form, I'm afraid that the picture is less rosy than roverandout paints. If you look at the last 10 games, as recorded on the BBC Sport website, Brighton have 15 points out of the last 30, as against our 9/30. If, as most "form tables" do, you look only at the 6 most recent League games, the picture is worse: while Brighton have 9 points, we just have 4 [from the win at Peterborough and the draw at Turd Moor]. As for home "form", we've won 1 point from the last 12. :(

So, it's surely only those who believe in miracles at Christmas time who can expect a win from this game. Our only hope is perhaps that Brighton have drawn quite a lot of games [6 out of the last 10]. But even to get a point will require a significantly improved performance.

Having said all that, Christmastime is a time for miracles. Isn't it? Please?

can see us winning, only because brighton are in as bad as form as we are, certainly not because rovers are any good

To be honest brighton have been playing well, just not scoring. Create chances by the bucket load. Lost one match (away to palace) in past 10.

If that is bad form, I hope rovers soon get some bad form. I think a draw is likely.

Totally lost interest.

Couldnt care less in all reality, the season has finished for me and I have no intention of worrying whats going on at Ewood as I will be at home, roaring log fire watching tv. Now how KEANING sad is that ?

Merry KEANING Christmas Venkys !

Looks like Brighton have a problem scoring goals, if this wasnt so much a problem for them, then Brighton would be head and shoulders a better side than us.

Good luck to those who are going, as you deserve far better than whats currently being served up at Ewood park these days.

Has Vicente been playing recently PAFELL?

No. But is a very good player. Last I heard he has an injury.

An ex rover in the side in Gordon Greer. Two to watch I think would be Will Buckley and Mickal smith. Wayjne Bridge does ok for them also. Liam Bridcutt is also a very good player.

To be honest i think Rovers have the squad to beat Brighton - but with all that is going on at the club - a draw more likely. Though these days it is a case of what team turns up. The one that played very well at Peterboro or the team v cardiff etc.

Suggest that supporters give Venky's, Singh, Shaw and Agnew a good kick up the arse on Saturday simply by not atttending.

B o l l o c ks to get behind the lads - the support the TEAM has had over the last two years has been phenomenal and drastic action is now needed to force change for the better.

I am ,with you there Mercerman !!

An empty stadium speaks volumes ...

Cryers back page headline last friday was.. WE'RE TRYING, how comforting was that to know from the worst pound for pound squad in Rovers history.

Lets hope Brighton can go the full ninety minutes without crossing the ball into our central defensive area.

I think we have to change formation for this one, try and grind out some results. Similar to the approach Hughes took when he joined.

Kean

Henley Hanley Givet Olsson

Lowe

Vukcevic Dunn Pedersen King

Kazim-Richards

I think we're in such poor form that we can't afford for Rhodes to be a passenger. At least CKR puts himself about a bit more.

Archived