BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Brighton

The Dart

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree with Tomphill, I'd start Givet again. One bad game doesn't make him a bad player, he's streets ahead of Dann and Hanley, for certain. Don't agree with his other suggestions though, don't want Hanley anywhere near the side.
Just suggested that team to shore it up a bit an hit on the break. We just need to dig out some results now sod the playing style. I to would bounce Hanley out the door on loan to a league one team for a bit to hopefully sharpen him up a bit and drop Dann to be replaced by Givet and a decent centre half who knows this league or from higher who has a point to prove. They are out there if someone would look. We need a left back though because Olsson really is pants there an Givet is also the strongest option we have at left back. All i want for Xmas then is 3 Gael Givet's...job sorted !

That's just sad haha.

One guy mentioned the fact they've spent 4 seasons in the top flight.....but their massive catchment area means they're a significant football club in England.....ahead of us, H'field, Sheff Wed, Burnley etc

In fairness, a couple of them speak sense....still though, that thread should have been closed by a moderator within minutes.

And what the f##k does potential have to do with it.....potentially due to catchment area, Birmingham and Bristol City could become European heavyweights.

It's about what you've done throughout history, and a little bit about stadium size and fan support for me.....although imo, teams from towns should be praised even more for managing to compete with teams from massive cities.

I liked the poster who called some of his own fans deluded.

I didn't like reading that as recently as May 2012, we still averaged 13th in the football pyramid. Thanks again, Venkys, thanks a keaning bunch.

A few absolute musts this game, we must not go behind as Ewood at best will fall silent and possibly much worse. We must defend properly and not allow all these free headers which seem to happen a few times every game. Also another must for me is the full backs need to work much harder, Claridge (possibly for the first time ever) made a good point the other week saying our full backs just play the percentages in terms of letting crosses come in unopposed and just hope the centre halves win the headers.

Going forwards will always be a concern, the centre midfield partnership is almost as worrying as our abhorrent defending Lowe and Etuhu just does not work, Murphy mixed with either hasn't been particularly fruitful either. 10 goals scored in the last 9 games is diabolical especially when we factor in that 4 of these were scored against the mighty Peterborough. Dunn, Pedersen and Vukcevic will create the most chances for us and we seem to tick alittle more when they play and more importantly they will try and go forward to win games. When you clearly can't defend you must score a few and for me a midfield containing these 3 and who ever the manager picks to join them gives us the best chance of scoring and winning.

OK seeing as it's Christmas I will give you all a treat and re hash the memory if the first time I saw Brighton play at Rovers. It was 1984...

Rovers were on Match Of The Day. Above the Nuttall Street stand (Now the Jack Walker stand) was a little shed. Most of the time this shed was closed. But the Brighton match was different, the shed doors were open! This meant the cameras were here, and we would be on the telly. There were very few games on TV in those days, and it was a real privilege to be featured. At the time, the thought was that the BBC must think we were a decent proposition to put on, doing well in the league, playing some decent football and so on. But looking back, with a de rigueur Blackburn fans now fully developed sense of paranoia and no-one likes us mentality it is obvious that they only came to see the Brighton. And more specifically Frank Worthington who was contracted to the Seagulls at the time.

I was stood in my usual spot on the Blackburn End, watching a fairly tame affair when I witnessed one of the best goals of the season. A Rovers attack saw I think Garner see his first shot saved by Graham Moseley in the Brighton goal, and the rebound went out wide on the left of the goal from were I was stood. Garner raced round onto the ball, and with it looking like it may even go out of play for a corner the number 10 flashed his left foot at it and it flew into the back of the net. It actually never touched the back of the net, just the inside the side netting the angle was so tight. Bobby Saxtons comments in the report below further reflect the finishers quality. The matched was sealed by Colin Randells late second and Rovers were back on to winning ways.

I wonder how many stunning goals like this were never seen by anyone but the crowd on the day? This win was the beginning of another superb run of results, a sequence that saw us win 7 out of eight games, taking us right into Christmas and right into title contention.

OK seeing as it's Christmas I will give you all a treat and re hash the memory if the first time I saw Brighton play at Rovers. It was 1984...

Rovers were on Match Of The Day. Above the Nuttall Street stand (Now the Jack Walker stand) was a little shed. Most of the time this shed was closed. But the Brighton match was different, the shed doors were open! This meant the cameras were here, and we would be on the telly. There were very few games on TV in those days, and it was a real privilege to be featured. At the time, the thought was that the BBC must think we were a decent proposition to put on, doing well in the league, playing some decent football and so on. But looking back, with a de rigueur Blackburn fans now fully developed sense of paranoia and no-one likes us mentality it is obvious that they only came to see the Brighton. And more specifically Frank Worthington who was contracted to the Seagulls at the time.

I was stood in my usual spot on the Blackburn End, watching a fairly tame affair when I witnessed one of the best goals of the season. A Rovers attack saw I think Garner see his first shot saved by Graham Moseley in the Brighton goal, and the rebound went out wide on the left of the goal from were I was stood. Garner raced round onto the ball, and with it looking like it may even go out of play for a corner the number 10 flashed his left foot at it and it flew into the back of the net. It actually never touched the back of the net, just the inside the side netting the angle was so tight. Bobby Saxtons comments in the report below further reflect the finishers quality. The matched was sealed by Colin Randells late second and Rovers were back on to winning ways.

I wonder how many stunning goals like this were never seen by anyone but the crowd on the day? This win was the beginning of another superb run of results, a sequence that saw us win 7 out of eight games, taking us right into Christmas and right into title contention.

Remember it well, I went to every game home and away that season. A decent midfielder away from promotion.

Playing a young untested lad in the sticks is going to cost us. Maybe tomorrow might be the first time.

He's had two successful spells in League One, and I don't think there is that much of a gulf in quality between the two divisions (almost all promoted clubs fare very well in the Championship, double promotions aren't that uncommon).

He's had two successful spells in League One, and I don't think there is that much of a gulf in quality between the two divisions (almost all promoted clubs fare very well in the Championship, double promotions aren't that uncommon).

He makes lots of mistakes, his handling isn't the best

I'm 100% certain that it's a bad move LeC. In struggling times, the last thing you want is an inexperienced keeper. Time will tell I guess.

Getting inside the mind of the 'new' Brighton fan :rolleyes: :

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?266821-Taking-the-criteria-of-fanbase-stadium-potential-and-club-history-into-consideration

N.B.

Blackburn Rovers have won more major Trophies than Brighton,Southampton and Portsmouth combined.

There's as many rational as irrational posters on that thread to be fair.

Robinson didn't train today due to "injury". Add to the same list as Nelson, Salgado, Samba etc. Bye Robbo

He needs to be replaced in January then, I don't think Jake kean is ready to step up to the mark.

Love all the people flagging up Kean's inexperience.

Yeah, 'cause Robbo's been a rock this season, ain't he? Those years will be vital when he's 30lbs overweight and letting in anything below chest-height.

If players underperform consistently (no matter their experience) they should be dropped.

Robbo is no exception.

Archived