BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] After Berg: Now What? — A Statement By Sir Bill Taylor

Guest Wen Y Hu

Guest Wen Y Hu

After Berg: Now What? — A Statement By Sir Bill Taylor

Sir Bill Taylor, chair of the umbrella group of fans, groups, trusts, forums, fanzines and websites who support the Rovers, today issued this statement.

After the departure of Henning Berg, Eric Black et al.:

Where now for Blackburn Rovers Football Club?

The departure of the recent coaching staff quartet marks another saddening chapter in the recent story of the once proud Blackburn Rovers Football Club.

We the fans want to see the ownership, backroom and playing management strong and on an even keel.

The owners, the Rao family, have no track record and palpably no instinct for running an English football league team, especially one rooted in the culture and traditions of the East Lancashire former cotton towns. They have turned to people they have learned to like and thought they could trust to successfully guide the club through this transitional period. But things have gone rapidly downhill.

The replacement of the playing staff management team is clearly the preeminent priority. It is the job of a steady and sound club management team to hire and fire the best possible coaching staff.

We urge that the replacements have the following qualities: proven track record, an understanding of local affiliation, bottle, skill, hardworking, down to earth, respected, honourable.

We urge that this process of replacement is done quickly but not rushed.

All the fans' groups are united in having the best interests of the club very much at heart. Our town and beyond love our football club. We see it as our football club, belonging to and representing our communities, neighbourhoods, families and friends. We are hardworking, proud and determined. Our football club acts as both a rallying point and an escape from our daily lives and their circumstances. We will not be "picked off" by diversionary token gestures by the owners’ local representatives.

After the right team has been recruited, we urge the Raos to engage with the right people right across the different communities of East Lancashire. They cannot begin to understand the complexities and subtleties of these communities from afar and should begin again the process of engagement with these key groups.

Sir Bill Taylor,

Chair

Published to the front page here.

It's about time someone in a position of authority in the community spoke out. Thank you Sir Bill.

I note your criteria for the replacement manager's required qualities with interest. I worry that all of those criteria might be met by Gary Bowyer.

I trust that the Raos will understand the subtlety of what you are asking and that a manager of proven, successful Championship experience will be appointed.

I like Sir Bill, lovely bloke, although our politics differ.

This statement however is meaningless politician's twaddle.

"Engage with the right people right across the different communities of East Lancashire." What on earth does that mean?

What has ethnic inclusivity got to do with appointing the right man as next Blackburn Rovers manager?

"Engage with the right people right across the different communities of East Lancashire." What on earth does that mean?

What has ethnic inclusivity got to do with appointing the right man as next Blackburn Rovers manager?

It has everything to do with Venkys ability to understand and empathise with the broader community from which the vast majority of Rovers fans are drawn. It is also a fundemental requirement to achieve this if they are to have any chance, or even hope, of attaining the respect and co-operation of this group of fans, without which their ownership of BRFC will always be suspect by virtually ALL of this community. Hence until this happy state is achieved there can never be any hope of a satisfactory solution to the fans lack of trust and support

The appointment of an EXPERIENCED manager who has a proven track record of good and positive achievements in the top levels of the Football League/EPL is an absolute necessity; both to achieve the backing of all Rovers fans, and more importantly to get us promoted.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Sir Bill has sent in a reply to RevBlue's query as per below.

Sir Bill Taylor's Response:

"I had thought of spelling out exactly who I meant by "communities" across East Lancs. But chose not to for reasons of space & not wanting to over look someone.
My feelings are though, that the Raos would be better thought of if a ) they appeared to respect & trust us & b ) they began by apologising & admitting they got things wrong.
The communities I alluded to included the ethnic minorities. But my list was:-
All the different fan's groups, trusts & forums.
The local Press & media with whom they have failed to engage.
The business community including our big hitters BAe, Thwaites, Graham & Brown, WEC etc right through the SME community in the manufacturing, commercial, retail & service world.
Public sector organisations like Councils, the NHS & hospitals, the Police. Both these groups are big employers with thousands & thousands of staff.
Education places: our massive colleges & hundreds of schools who teach 10s of 000's of learners & employ several thousand staff.
The voluntary, community & faith sector;Our Cathedral, churches, mosques, Age UK, childrens groups. Youth Groups like Scouts, Guides etc. Over 2-3000 in East Lancs.
These are just a few. But once you mention some, you may offend, by omission, many others."

Archived