SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Last Vestige Of Hope

Guest Wen Y Hu

Guest Wen Y Hu
The Last Vestige Of Hope

by

Eddie

Assistant editor Eddie gives his view on the goings-on at Ewood in the aftermath of the sacking of Henning Berg.

Blackburn Rovers may have picked up a vital win against Barnsley yesterday, but a dark cloud still looms large over Ewood Park. This last week's sacking of Henning Berg means that Rovers are now looking for a new manager for the second time in as many months — not quite what was expected from the pre-season promotion hopefuls.

Even after yesterday's win Rovers are well off the promotion places and will need to drastically improve if they are to have any chance of making the play-offs. Whilst performances and results have been disappointing, however, the Rovers faithful are far more concerned with activities taking place away from the pitch.

It seems that the power struggle at the top is continuing as Singh, Agnew and Shaw continue to fight for top-dog status. The goings-on at Ewood Park are more befitting of a soap opera than a professional football club and it doesn't look like the circus will be leaving town anytime soon.

There is a great deal of speculation suggesting that either Singh or Agnew had some influence over the team selections during Berg's tenure and that has to raise serious questions about how the club is being run.

Paul Agnew was promoted to the role of operations director in the summer and, although he has been working for Rovers for over 16 years, it is difficult to explain why the former press and public relations officer should have been entrusted with making serious decisions relating to the club's administration.

Shebby Singh, who came to the club last summer as the newly appointed global advisor of the Venky's, seemingly played a key role in the capture of Jordan Rhodes and in forcing Steve Kean out of the door. He deserves some credit for both of those achievements, but any good work he may have done is now being overshadowed by rumours that suggest that the former TV pundit has the desire to influence team selections.

In Saturday's <em>Mirror</em> it was reported that managing director Derek Shaw has called for Singh to be removed from his position and Shaw will be pleading his case to the owners during his trip to India. This represents a high-water mark for the in-fighting, while the club continues to carry out its business in the public domain.

Supporters had hoped that things might improve when Steve Kean resigned. However, any optimism that followed his departure has vanished and it is now apparent that the managerial position is only a small area of concern.

When viewed from a distance, the situation is farcical, but for Rovers supporters it is heartbreaking. Not long ago the club was able to pride itself on being well run and on the fact that it was respected throughout football. Results were never guaranteed and the threat of relegation from the Premier League never seemed far away, but supporters at least knew that the decision-makers had the club's best interests in mind.

Those days are long gone and experience has been replaced by incompetence. The next managerial appointment is the last vestige of hope. If, by some miracle, someone qualified for the position is appointed, then there is a chance that sensible decisions might be made regarding the team; however, even if that does happen, it is unlikely that the off-the-field problems will be resolved anytime soon.

Published to the front page here.

Some good points raised, none more so than the alleged interference in team selection. Under both Kean and Berg .We where all at times left mystified at some of the team selections and lack of substitutions. Football is indeed a game that divides opinions but most fans have been left confused and frustrated regarding allegations of players being omitted for non footballing reasons. If, and at the moment it is if there have indeed been interference from the boardroom the speculation appears to be around Agnew or Singh. If this was a new problem that came around over the last few months then I could understand the finger being pointed at Singh, but this goes back way before his arrival. We have had several changes in the boardroom under Venky's tenure, but the only constant in the background is Mr Agnew. The same Mr Agnew who you point out has had a meteoric rise from press officer to a place on the board of our beloved Rovers.

Throughout the Kean era the fans where subjected to a shameful media smear campaign, Fans where stripped of their voice when protests started, we had banners banned, we had music turned up at after match protests to drown out the fans that had been pre agreed with the club, we had a heavy handed approach from stewards in certain areas of the ground. The club stood by and watch it's own supporters ridiculed in the media and divides appear amongst fans who had previously had one of the best reputations in the country. Who was behind all this?

The owners of the club are quite rightly the subject of supporter discontent as their ownership promised so much but delivered very little. This leaves us with Shebby Singh a man who indeed divides opinion, should he be running the football club? in my opinion no we should have a strong efficient board in place for this purpose. Singh was sent over to be the eyes and ears of the owners back in India and to communicate with fans, this he has done, whether people like the job he has done is debatable. He takes the flack for the owners because many see him as the face of Venky's and 18 months of hurt and frustration is directed at him, as he is the face we see on TV the Voice we hear on Radio. The writer points out the signings of Rhodes and Kean leaving the club, both of which are positives but I'm quite sure he has also made mistakes.

When people want to vent their frustration or ask why certain things have happened over the last year or two it may be worth looking beyond the obvious target of Singh, and think, was he responsible for the last 18-24 months?

Lets hope that this next appointment is the right one, I think all fans want an experienced and strong manager, with luck results will improve on the pitch, and fans once again united under the name of Blackburn Rovers.

The whole Kean episode left deep scars amongst Rovers fan base and all associations with "Team Kean" need to be removed for the long term good of the club.

So from this it is pretty clear that Agnew or Singh got involved with team selection and substitutes and this gives rise to questions. Why did both Kean and Berg allow them to do it,were they under some sort of threat ie dismissal. Also its worth asking who had the most to gain by interfering and what was that gain, financial or personal status.Obviously its easy to see that Singh would love the status of being toally in charge of the club and the team hence all the rubbish talk about "Coaches" and moulding them into the next Mourinho. Agnews motive for my part would be guesswork but a clue would have to be who promoted him.

In my opinion Singh should definately not be running the club and I agree we should have a strong and efficient board backing a proven competent manager and staff, it's the only way forward but of course for it to happen Shaw Agnew and Singh would have to go and therein lies the problem,it's not going to happen.

Although I agree that Shebby Singh is a decent person, loves his footy,

and has the clubs interests at heart, it seems to me he has way, way too much involvement

At the club.

I know for a fact Shebby ok'd all this summers deals to the tune of 15-20m, and apart from Rhodes,

it has proved to be very poor judgement. Why on earth did he authorise Ethuhu a 4yr contract ??

Too many people are posturing and positioning themselves at the moment, there seems to be multiple agendas

From lots of different people, to be honest, they call all Kean off for me, it's becoming silly.

As for Shebby, I'm sorry but the guy's a space cadet, who should not be calling the shots at a 137yr old

British football institution...

• Backroom

Why does it seem these days that most of the time you see an action group avatar you can guarantee the post will hint at Agnew being the problem and Shebby a victim?

I'm not saying its not true as I simply don't know but it seems to be more and more commonplace at the minute, maybe its coincidental

Not an attack simply an observation, if it is the case and you know it I don't fully blame you for wanting it to be known but the constant repetition and reiteration of the same points seems to dilute the message IMO

Good article though Eddie

Why does it seem these days that most of the time you see an action group avatar you can guarantee the post will hint at Agnew being the problem and Shebby a victim?

I'm not saying its not true as I simply don't know but it seems to be more and more commonplace at the minute, maybe its coincidental

Not an attack simply an observation, if it is the case and you know it I don't fully blame you for wanting it to be known but the constant repetition and reiteration of the same points seems to dilute the message IMO

Good article though Eddie

It's not that Tom it just seems a very topical subject at present.

• Backroom

True enough

Feels like it needs to come to a head one way or another

At least if the Pne two come back from Pune jobless everyone can move on on te same page

At the minute I've seen people make comments about Shebby on twitter then get abused by other folk for 'supporting' Agnew its just bizarre

If somebody is picking the team, and its been going on for some time then I'd wager it comes right from the top, the playboy with the ponytail!

You give him too much credit. I don't think any of them have any real grasp of what's going on.

I'm not sure the extent to which any of us actually know what's going on. Is it just some knowledge and some guesswork?

What's irrefutable though is that there is major disconnection wherever you look. The owners are physically and in every other way distant. we haven't a clue what they want, when or if they'll give up on it and what the outcome will be.

We only know that they are totally clueless and the fans are completely unable to identify with them and curse the day they bought in.

They now reign over a dysfunctional club whose senior administrators are as incompetent and disliked as themselves.

Not surprisingly the results on the field reflect the absurdity of those who run and own it so the players play because they are paid to, and in some cases are paid not to seemingly

"A house divided among itself cannot stand'. The Club cannot survive with this level of neglect and maladminstration. In a little over 2 years they have sucked the life out a Club functioning for nearly 140 years.

Archived