BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Josh king

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surely we're not obligated to buy?

Of course we aren't. Why take him on loan of you're obligated to purchase him? Just purchase, right?

If the agreement was a loan with view to permanent, one would think there would be a deadline to make a firm offer by. I don't have a problem with that being executed without a manager and I don't believe an incoming manager would, per se. It would certainly be more worrying if new targets were being sounded out and pursued without the new manager's approval, absolutely, but I think this is a little different. He's already a squad member, in a sense. It's not too far removed from the notion of offering a player a new contract, is it?

Clubs have signed players without managers in the past, clubs sign players that the manager hasn't fully chosen all the time. I'm pretty sure anyone coming in would want to keep King in this form given that he's the only player with pace that isn't a complete twonk. We'd be daft not to take up a permanent option if it makes sense financially then see him go elsewhere and perform.

Also...remember when John Williams handed Keith Andrews a bumper contract based on a verbal promise? Not quite the same thing, but does illustrate that managers don't have to have 100% control of player related activities in a well run club.

ffs - can't believe that people would complain if we were to sign this guy. He's young, strong, skillful, fast and cheap. Even if the new manager didn't rate him it would not be difficult to offload him to a championship club / lower premiership club.

Does feel like "any reason to bitch and moan" on here at the moment :angry:

Does feel like "any reason to bitch and moan" on here at the moment :angry:

After two years of utter @#/?, please allow ourselves to indulge.

LeChuck, clubs without manager sign players all the time? Really? Perhaps if the manager they wanted was currently contracted to someone else, and he gave his blessing.

But venky's have sacked Berg and if media rumours are to be believed, they can't decide who to get in as a manager. This is the single most important thing to get right. They should be getting an experienced manager in straight away, not fanny-arsing about saying "oh he's won two on the trot, let's keep him for a bit longer, while the transfer window slides by." or each pulling in different directions when it comes to deciding on a manager. So, who is deciding to but King, and why if they can do that can't we get a decision on a manager?

Good stuff. :)

I thought the manager situation might have caused us to dither and allowed other clubs to nip and and snatch him from us. He's settled in really well and offers something that other players don't.

I think he's similar to Hoilett in many ways, I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses because he's got all the raw physical tools to be a very good player for us.

It's fairly routine for loans to have the future transfer date set in stone (especially ones signed outside of window)

It's quite possible that we couldn't have cancelled this deal even if we had wanted to (I doubt that we would have wanted to though. I think it's a good signing).

I have to agree with Bryan, perhaps it's more of an old fashioned view these days but I do have a problem with signing players with no manager currently in the post. You don't see this sort of behavior done at many clubs, most don't bring in players until the new manager is in post and they have the chance to ok any signings. You might see it done more abroad with teams who have Director of Football, but there is a reason why that role has never really worked over here.

What if the new manager comes in assesses the squad and doesn't think this player is part of their plans and therefore doesn't play him? That's money down the drain that will be especially felt hard at a club with such limited finances.

On to the signing itself I haven't seen enough of the lad to say whether it is a good deal or not.

Good signing, I'm glad it was made even though we haven't got a manager.

He needs to work on consistency, but JK has got a lot of good attributes and is unplayable in this league on his day (eg 2nd half v Burnley).

I have to agree with Bryan, perhaps it's more of an old fashioned view these days but I do have a problem with signing players with no manager currently in the post. You don't see this sort of behavior done at many clubs, most don't bring in players until the new manager is in post and they have the chance to ok any signings. You might see it done more abroad with teams who have director of football's, but there is a reason why that role has never really worked over here.

What if the new manager comes in assesses the squad and doesn't think this player is part of their plans and therefore doesn't play him? That's money down the drain that will be especially felt hard at a club with such limited finances.

On to the signing itself I haven't seen enough of the lad to say whether it is a good deal or not.

I seem to remember Thierry Henry being signed for Arsenal on Wenger's advice - before Arsene joined.

Seriously can't see a problem with this signing. He's been one of our better players this season and the reaction from the other players after he was subbed yesterday suggested he's well liked. This tells me it's good for the group dynamic.

Let's hope he doesn't "do a Pedersen" now hes signed permanently and goes from strength to strength a la Bentley.

• Backroom

Very happy with this signing. Considering where we are as a club at this point in time King is ideal for us. Don't really care that there isn't a manager in place at the moment - not like whoever comes in is going to mind having a young, pacy attacking player to choose from is it?

Very happy with this signing. Considering where we are as a club at this point in time King is ideal for us. Don't really care that there isn't a manager in place at the moment - not like whoever comes in is going to mind having a young, pacy attacking player to choose from is it?

Exactly. Might have been an issue had he been expensive, but for a "minimal fee" it was a no-brainer.

Archived