BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 2 - With Poll

Next Rovers Manager  

547 members have voted

1. 1. Which, if any of the following would be acceptable as the new manager to you?

• Sven Goran Erikkson
    • Mark Bowen
    • Peter Taylor
    • Billy Davies
    • Gary Bowyer
    • Judan Ali/Kevin MacDonald Combi
    • Shebby Singh
    • Phil Brown
    • None of the above

To me, this nicely settles things for the fans in terms of aims. Bowyer has the club's interests at heart, so we can back him as the man in charge of training and games. But away from Bowyer the announcement tells us one thing IMO - Shebby is, as many of us feared, positioning himself as a Director of Football-style figure, and this is something we can not accept. By kicking the appointment into the long grass, he ensures that he is the man in charge of the transfer window, and makes it so the next manager (if we ever get one) can not mould their own squad. Meanwhile, Venkys appear to have lost interest finally, withdrawn any prospect of financial support, and decided to leave Shebby to do things on the cheap.

So - the fans must now back Bowyer (whether this means paying to attend games, I don't know), and turn all attention to Shebby/Venkys Out. We will never be a proper club again until Venkys are gone. This may mean financial ruin first, but until they are gone we can not move forward. There can be no acceptance of their ownership after this latest travesty.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i imagine that Gary Bowyer will be in charge until the boardroom issue is sort. whether its Shaw'Agnew leave or Shebby.

At least now we can put an end to that fanciful notion of promotion this season.

I'm not angry at this, but I am angry that we knew this would happen. Why make mention that he will be in charge until end of January(close of transfer window)? That just basically says to us, that we will not sign any players. Its all a cheap move and nothing else. However, I do wish Gary and Terry best of luck, and hope they continue the good work.

Well what do the Shebbites make of this decision?

Good question. "Safe decision", "good news", would be my bet.

Absolutely nothing against the duo, they quite clearly have the clubs best interest at heart. But it's just another cop out by Venky's. They cannot make a decision between the lot of them so they've simply made no decision. Allowing Shebby/Aggers and the other dick heads to bicker between themselves and tear the club apart.

Completely underwhelmed and fearful. But not surprised in the slightest.

This rumour page suggests that Blackburn were going to sign Peter Taylor up for the managers position but couldn't due to some tax problem.

http://www.football365.com/transfer-gossip

I interpreted Shebby's statement about the end of January to mean that this is when that tax problem would be sorted out and Taylor would become manager. Perhaps between now and then Taylor will feed Shebby some information about players he wishes to see signed up.

Don't see why the latest announcement has caused such hysteria, if Bowyer and McPhillips were given the job until the end of the season say, and the players immediately eased off, everyone would be crticising the appointment saying it was made too hastily.

If they win the Cup game, (which really we should) and a couple of League games after that, who's to say they shouldn't remain in charge? It's those 2 or 3 League games after the Cup game which will tell us it all for me. If the players don't look up for it the need for a new manager will be confirmed regardless of the paucity of the applicants.

As for the transfer window, we've signed King, hopefully Best will be back and we've got more than enough to have a tilt at the play offs already.

If we can get rid of some overpaid dross like Pedersen as well, so much the better.

So much for the manager being named on New Years day. We have a batch of crooks and liars running our club. No one, not even Burnley, deserve to have their club destroyed like ours have. The thing that really cuts me the deepest about our owners and Mr Singh, is that it would be bad enough if we were being run by a group of fools and liars from the area, but it's the fact that these people have just ridden into town out of nowhere, bought the club and now sit thousands of miles away making decisions about a club that will never mean as much to them as the supporters and have hired some lunatic to run the thing on their behalf. It sounds stupid I know and it's hard to articulate why it's so much worse this way, but it is.

I'll just echo what everyone else has said and say that it's obviously a move by Venky's and Singh, to ensure that no money is spent in January, while some of the big earners like Robinson and Givet are shipped out. It also probably shows that the list of candidates that they hoped for just isn't there and it's better to stick with Bowyer (who has done well so far in fairness). I would love to think that when Singh called up potential managers, they would have said something along the lines of "Work for you and Venky's? You're having a laugh." just to enforce the low opinion that people have of these clowns. Some chants of 'Shebby Out' need to go up around Ewood on Saturday.

I'll just echo what everyone else has said and say that it's obviously a move by Venky's and Singh, to ensure that no money is spent in January, while some of the big earners like Robinson and Givet are shipped out.

With the emergence of Kean, would that be a bad thing? Givet hasn't looked up for it for a while either.

People are quick to criticise the finances and the fact we're losing so much money. You can't have it both ways.

Totally agree with everything RoyRover's just posted.

Why do Venkys/Shabby remind me of the old American joke: Q. How do you know when a lawyer's lying? A. His lips move!

Fwiw, I also agree with Rovers11:

Gary Bowyer has impressed me. Tactically has been very good. Had two sitting midfielders in Murrphy and Lowe which has allowed the attacking players like King, Rochina, Rhodes and CKR to flourish and given the defence more protection. The players also really like Bowyer and that has been seen in the players efforts recently. Don't think he's the man long term but he could do a decent job in the short term until Venky's decide who to go with (if they ever do).

As for January transfers - I don't think we should be spending a lot in January. It's not a good time to buy. As long as we don't lose anybody significant then we don't need to buy. I reckon we could get a central midfielder in on loan though. If a Givet, Formica etc does leave then I suspect they will be replaced. The current squad is good enough to get into the play offs imo - a lot of them, however, like Etuhu, have been underperforming.

and think that Bowyer should keep the job until the end of this season - I think it's highly unlikely the owners have anyone else in mind at present. And if they do, aren't we falling for the trick of believing that everyone who the mee-ja have suggested are candidates for the manager's job actually are? Billy Davies, for example; while he's got a track record of success in this Division, I can't imagine that he'd want to work for owners who, if he got us into the Premier League, would be prepared to fork out money for players of the quality he'd recommend to keep us there.

Talk about an over-reaction. The situation is under review for another week or two.

Far rather this than MacDonald/Ali/Taylor/Brown etc etc.

The siuation is under review for 4 weeks and a transfer window, when no doubt the 'situation' and the window will be cocked up again.

said it before , i'll say it again , this is not naivety or stupidity anymore it is deliberate sabotage , if this was any other Indian company making this much of a mess controlling a British company there would be national outrage and Cameron and co would be spitting feathers

Talk about an over-reaction. The situation is under review for another week or two.

Far rather this than MacDonald/Ali/Taylor/Brown etc etc.

I think the reason why people are wound-up by this is because the new man won't be able to bring anyone in, it seems to be a situation created by the club to avoid the transfer window.

A blind man on a galloping horse can see the side is terribly unbalanced, if this isn't addressed we can forget getting anywhere near the play-offs (Not that I think we have a chance of going up anyhow, but some do)

Alot of confusion seems to come from Balaji saying this or this will happen through Shebby and then the next day the decision being taken to Mrs Desai and being rejected.

Mrs D must have lost faith in Shebby's decision making and not surprising after a 5 week manager search produced a manager who had to be sacked and unused Portuguese players adding millions to the club's debt.

Gary Bowyer will get the job as he fits in with Mrs Desai's 'vision' of the manager bringing through young players. He actually fits the description of the manager Steve Kean pretended he himself was.

Well who knows what to think anymore, with the announcement that Bowyer and co will be in charge until the end of January I'm half expecting a new manager to be announced by the end of the day.

As others have said it just seems to be avoiding making a decision again but judging from the linked names like Taylor and McDonald I guess overall I'm happy to see if Bowyer and co can continue their good start if they do indeed stay in charge for the forseeable future.

Knowing this lot Bowyer and co will win every game while in charge and then get sacked and replaced by Colin Murray.

Gary Bowyer will get the job as he fits in with Mrs Desai's 'vision' of the manager bringing through young players. He actually fits the description of the manager Steve Kean pretended he himself was.

:tu:

It can only be a good thing that bowyer is in charge until the end I the month, the players like him and he has got the team organised and playing well. With no more incomings I think this was the right desicion plus shebby is loosing the plot so it gives us more time to get him out so he can't make a ridicules manager desicion.

To me, this nicely settles things for the fans in terms of aims. Bowyer has the club's interests at heart, so we can back him as the man in charge of training and games. But away from Bowyer the announcement tells us one thing IMO - Shebby is, as many of us feared, positioning himself as a Director of Football-style figure, and this is something we can not accept. By kicking the appointment into the long grass, he ensures that he is the man in charge of the transfer window, and makes it so the next manager (if we ever get one) can not mould their own squad. Meanwhile, Venkys appear to have lost interest finally, withdrawn any prospect of financial support, and decided to leave Shebby to do things on the cheap.

So - the fans must now back Bowyer (whether this means paying to attend games, I don't know), and turn all attention to Shebby/Venkys Out. We will never be a proper club again until Venkys are gone. This may mean financial ruin first, but until they are gone we can not move forward. There can be no acceptance of their ownership after this latest travesty.

I think as your name suggests you have gone south, How can it help the team and Bowyer if fans start protesting and chanting @#/?, ignore SS and get behind the team

Mrs D must have lost faith in Shebby's decision making and not surprising after a 5 week manager search produced a manager who had to be sacked and unused Portuguese players adding millions to the club's debt.

But, Berg was a compromise appointement we are lead to believe, as neither Shebby nor Shaw could get their choices accepted by the other.

That was a disaster.

It seems to be happening again, although hopefully this time with more positive consequences.

I think the reason why people are wound-up by this is because the new man won't be able to bring anyone in, it seems to be a situation created by the club to avoid the transfer window.

Or, it could allow them to bring in the players they want, and not have some pesky manager interfering or asking why we are getting another 24 Portugese kids to load the reserve sides with.

Kean was good at going along with that!

I dnt know if it's the worse decision if the boys do well from now to the end of January then y not keep them on till the end of season n if it doesn't we get a new manager and give them time to prepare for next season because there's a point where we have to b realistic in where we can finish and I dnt think it's a good idea to hire a new manager and expect them to get us promoted straight away

Maybe on the wrong page but does this sound familiar

Following his appointment as the new man in charge at Nottingham Forest, Alex McLeish revealed that he had been welcomed back 'to the asylum' by fellow Championship boss Mick McCarthy.

The Scot's sanity may well be tested over the coming months, with goings on at the City Ground leading to some serious head scratching from those of a red persuasion.

New owners were welcomed with open arms over the summer, with the Al Hasawi family vowing to pump serious money into the club in an effort to return Forest to former glories.

They made all the right noises as far as the fans were concerned, with funds desperately needed following the tragic passing of Nigel Doughty - a man with Forest's best interests at heart and a man who was prepared to cover losses from his own personal fortune.

The fact that the Al Hasawi family had deep pockets and the fact that they appeared to want the best for the club, instantly endeared them to the Forest faithful.

The decision to part with Steve Cotterill's services as manager was greeted with little more than a collective shrugging of shoulders, with his appointment made when money was tight and a man used to working on a shoestring budget was required.

As that was no longer the case, a new manager was expected - perhaps one with top-flight experience and a proven track record in the transfer market.

Sean O'Driscollspacer.gif was maybe not the coach many Forest fans expected to take to the dugout, and it has become painfully clear that he was also not the first choice for the Al Hasawis - maybe not even second, third or fourth choice.

Just six months into their reign at the City Ground, Forest now have their third manager at the helm.

Future

Amid all the inspirational talk of returning to the Premier League and putting Forest back on the footballing map, there was no mention of timescales - just talk of 'a successful future'.

Unfortunately, it would appear that the Reds are working short-term, with results demanded instantly rather than worked towards.

After all, O'Driscoll was sacked a matter of hours after overseeing a 4-2 home victory over Leeds which lifted Forest to within touching distance of the play-off places.

Admittedly things could have gone better, but they could also have gone a lot worse considering how short on numbers Forest were when O'Driscoll took over.

He was not given time to gel the squad together, and was only given a short period of time towards the end of the summer transfer window in which to put his own stamp on the side.

Now he has gone and McLeish will be given license to dip into the January market.

What will he make of the squad he has inherited? Of those drafted in over the summer? Will he want to move players on? Who will he look to bring in?

McLeish's record in English football is not the best and he has now walked into successive managerial posts in which his arrival has been greeted with widespread scepticism - with some Aston Villaspacer.gif fans protesting long and loud against his appointment in the summer of 2011.

So he has to win over the supporters, scour the market for potential new recruits, pick up results on the field and keep the owners happy - good luck with that.

Faith

He has also penned a 12-month rolling contract, which is hardly a show of faith in his ability.

His appointment would appear to be yet another short-term move by Forest, with the Al Hasawis prepared to give McLeish until the summer to prove his worth before another assessment is made.

Should Forest put themselves in the promotion mix but come up short, McLeish may be given more time in which to push the Reds back into the big time.

It would, however, be interesting to see what happens if he were to win promotion at the first time of asking.

Would he then lead the Reds into the Premier League or would a more 'high-profile' name be sought?

Given that the Al Hasawis appear to be followers of the Roman Abramovich school of football club ownership - we're in charge and we'll sack who we want - McLeish could be forgiven for looking anxiously over his shoulder.

Taking just one point from his first two games in charge means he already has work to do, but the transfer window is open and an influx of encouraging acquisitions - rather than the workhorses many fans fear - would buy McLeish time.

He has, however, got a lot of bases to cover if he is to avoid becoming just another statistic on Trentside.

Welcome back to the asylum Alex, enjoy your stay.

Archived