BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Squad still rubbish?

JAL, when will you (and others with that mindset) realise that only the FINAL table doesn't lie. The table as it stands means we've been naff so far but it doesn't account for future form (such is the nature of time; curse that bloody Einstein).

Or does the 'table never lie' after the first game of the season when teams are up and down and all over the show? The table had Reading in 18th last October, but they won! It isn't inconceivable that we can overturn a 5pt deficit in 20 or so games. Esp' when a side as inconsistent as City can overturn 8 pts in 6 games.

So basically you're basing the future on a naff past and saying in the short term that its going to turn out OK. Definitely cant see that happening but would definitely like to revisit this thread come February to see if anything has changed though.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the team in unballanced, not rubbish.

We lack central backs and central midfielders.

And we have too many players in other positions.

If we managed to sell some and get experienced centre backs and midfielders, the team would be good enough to go to the playoffs.

Oh wait, we have no manager till February. So we probably won't buy or loan either.

Exactly.

We took a gamble on Murphy and Etuhu giving the other players we have the platform to play.

The games in which Murphy has played well in, the team has played well. (Albeit with Lowe, as it seems Etuhu is awful)

Agreed the squad is unbalanced.

There has been minimal football intelligence in recruitment during the past two years with ulterior motives dictating who got signed.

The squad lacks a backbone and that is what will cost us in the end.

It appears mr know nothing about football Singh hasn't noticed this problem.

For me we will end up at 10th position at best,until we have clear leadership from boardroom level we are doomed to failiure.

Shaw and Agnew on one side Singh on the other is pathetic,all this is doing is taking away from what should be the real focus is the first team on the pitch.

Successful football clubs are well run from the chairman down to the tea lady ( reminds me of a club we support ) but now that has gone and we are left with

people who are only interested in themselves,regardless of the damage it does to the club.

A half decent manager with no interference from boardroom level could take us up,a well run club from the top down can go a long way in this division,look at the top of it now none of them have splashed big money to get in these positions,but behind the scenes they are well run clubs unlike us.

• Backroom
So basically you're basing the future on a naff past and saying in the short term that its going to turn out OK. Definitely cant see that happening but would definitely like to revisit this thread come February to see if anything has changed though.

I'm basing it on 'form is temporary'. We had a good run under an incompetant feckwit and a dodgy run under a no-nonsense guy with principles. Bowyer (so far) looks like a turning point. I don't think we'll go up, for what it's worth. But it's absolutely possible with 43 pts to play for and a 5pt deficit, which is why I don't understand the pessimism.

I can understand whinging about the boardroom fallouts and owners with dogshite for brains, but having been to the last two games and seen the spirit of the players, the quality of performance and the very comfortable (and deserved imo) scorelines, we're not looking over our shoulder for now, but have our eyes on Millwall, Watford and Leicester.

Personally, from what I have seen thus far I think we will struggle to make the final play-off spot. The squad is unbalanced and contains too many players who want to play the same role. Rhodes needs support but the only player we have who is capable of really doing that won't be fit until next month. The midfield has struggled to make much impact and we lack the physical qualities that are required to get out of this League. Never mind comparing it with our Premier League squads, this squad doesn't compare with the one that Souness took us out of this Division with. Indeed, I think Don Mackay's squads that reached the play-offs would give this lot a run for their money. Our last hope was to strengthen in January but now that Shebby has ruled that out I really don't see how this squad improves sufficiently to overcome all the teams between us and sixth place.

Bang on the money.

So to answer the question, No the squad isn't good enough, simple as that and the squad will not be good enough next season either if we don't change personnel.

The squad is not rubbish. What is easy to forget amongst the chaos off the field is the excellent young talent we have at Rovers - some of whom are already in the 1st team and some of whom will definitely become 1st team regulars for Rovers.

We have Kean, Henley, Grant Hanley, Raheem Hanley, Ryan Edward, Jack O'Connell, Josh King, Fabio Nunes, Lowe, Rhodes, Fernandes, Rochina.

That is an excellent crop of youngsters.

Football doesn't work like a stats board, not unless you're playing FM.

It works a lot more like one than fans make out. Stats are a more accurate indication of how things are than the amateur opinions given on here (including my own). Opinions are influenced by subjectivity, stubborness to admit being wrong, sentimentality etc. Stats are influenced only by whats happened in the past, which has gotta be a decent indication of whats likely to happen in the future. This squad has achieved decent results under 3 managers so far this season, and bad results under 1, who achieved bad results with the squad he managed before ours as well.

So to answer the question, No the squad isn't good enough, simple as that and the squad will not be good enough next season either if we don't change personnel.

Given up on telling fans they're rubbish for not mindlessly supporting Berg have we? Strange that you don't apply your "get behind him or your a bad supporter" attitude to our players.

Given up on telling fans they're rubbish for not mindlessly supporting Berg have we? Strange that you don't apply your "get behind him or your a bad supporter" attitude to our players.

Thats a strange responce to the squad not being good enough :rock: sign of the times on here these days I guess.

Sacking a manager after 57 days is still bonkers no matter which way you slice it, get over though, I have :tu:

• Backroom
Thats a strange responce to the squad not being good enough :rock: sign of the times on here these days I guess.

Sacking a manager after 57 days is still bonkers no matter which way you slice it, get over though, I have :tu:

If you don't get behind the team because you know it's not good enough then what's the point of being a Blackburn fan? Not doing a 'hur-hur go support Utd' like many do, but just pointing out that the fact you are a Rovers fan means you should support the team regardless of how good they are, surely?

Supporting the team is hardly a strange response to it not being good enough. it's the nature of football or any spectator sport.

If you don't get behind the team because you know it's not good enough then what's the point of being a Blackburn fan? Not doing a 'hur-hur go support Utd' like many do, but just pointing out that the fact you are a Rovers fan means you should support the team regardless of how good they are, surely?

Supporting the team is hardly a strange response to it not being good enough. it's the nature of football or any spectator sport.

Spot on - the fair weather aspect of many Rovers fans enrages me. I know we've not had a lot to shout about for the last two years but by God we've not done ourselves any favours, and it really pains me to have to say that.

Thats a strange responce to the squad not being good enough sign of the times on here these days I guess.

Sacking a manager after 57 days is still bonkers no matter which way you slice it, get over though, I have

Whats strange about it? Most fans recently saying the squad is poor didn't say anything along those lines before Berg took over. Hence for the majority its merely an attempt to defend an indenfensible manager by shifting the blame. The pro-Berg and anti-squad attitudes are directly linked, and you were one of the biggest pro-Berg fans, so I'd say its a pretty relevant response.

Its only bonkers if that manager had a previously good record, which can be used as evidence of him having a chance of turning things round. Which is why Ince was given about 6 months, on his great records for Macclesfield and MK Dons. If the manager had a previously poor or non-existent record, then there's no evidence to suggest he'll turn it round, so whats the point in sticking with him? Berg wasn't a bad manager for 10 games, he was a bad one for 10 games plus 89 at Lillestrom, which is more than enough time to justify his sacking. The only bonkers aspect to the whole thing was hiring him in the first place.

Ah yes, get over it again eh? You wanted Allardyce out, Allardyce was booted out and we got relegated.

"No I didn't, its in the past, get over it."

You blasted fans for wanting Berg out, Berg was booted out and we've immediately got better.

"Its in the past, get over it."

I suppose you'll have to give it about a year before you start claiming no you didn't.

• Moderation Lead

Booing Etuhu and the constant sniping/whingeing in the stands this season has been particularly embarassing.

Whats strange about it? Most fans recently saying the squad is poor didn't say anything along those lines before Berg took over. Hence for the majority its merely an attempt to defend an indenfensible manager by shifting the blame. The pro-Berg and anti-squad attitudes are directly linked, and you were one of the biggest pro-Berg fans, so I'd say its a pretty relevant response.

Yes they were. This board was full of people saying, throughout Kean's early good run, that it would not last and was down to luck. You are being disingenuous.

I don't think anyone here will say that Berg was doing well. Some think he might have been able to eventually turn it around, others think that the poor form was caused by interference from above, others think it was all his own fault for being hopeless and others sit somewhere in the middle.

You stated early on, very early on, that you thought Berg would fail, so congratulations for being right. Go you.

Its only bonkers if that manager had a previously good record, which can be used as evidence of him having a chance of turning things round. Which is why Ince was given about 6 months, on his great records for Macclesfield and MK Dons. If the manager had a previously poor or non-existent record, then there's no evidence to suggest he'll turn it round, so whats the point in sticking with him? Berg wasn't a bad manager for 10 games, he was a bad one for 10 games plus 89 at Lillestrom, which is more than enough time to justify his sacking. The only bonkers aspect to the whole thing was hiring him in the first place.

Ah yes, get over it again eh? You wanted Allardyce out, Allardyce was booted out and we got relegated.

"No I didn't, its in the past, get over it."

You blasted fans for wanting Berg out, Berg was booted out and we've immediately got better.

"Its in the past, get over it."

I suppose you'll have to give it about a year before you start claiming no you didn't.

You need to calm down a bit :lol:

You also need to support the manager of Blackburn Rovers until he deserves your support no more, which in your case was from day 1! which is embarrassing.

Appointing him in the first place was bonkers.

Agreed, but he was given the gig so we support him, because as supporters of Blackburn Rovers that we we do.

Put simply the CM's & Cb's (perhaps the most important areas of the pitch) are just not good enough to get us promoted. Lowe was poor saturday again, I don't see what he offers, he threatens to tackle... never does, his first 2/3 passes went straight out of play and if he does pass its either sideways or backwards (Keith Andrews anyone?) doesn't score goals, doesn't take set pieces... So i'm at a loss why he gets picked. Same goes for Dickson, his performance against Blackpool was the single worst performance I've ever seen from a Rovers player.

I have little faith in Dann & Hanley, i feel a little sorry for grant because he's never really had the opportunity to go out on loan before being thrown into our starting 11. Dann on the other hand, I really cant stand to watch him play football. I lost count of the amount of times he played lofted balls into the middle of the pitch for nobody on Saturday... Thus inviting play straight back at us, he does this week in week out. It's as if he's bought into his own hype from his Birmingham days when he had interest from Liverpool & Arsenal... They didn't buy him for one very good reason.

A leader needs to be brought in at CB to replace Gael and a ball winning CM to protect the back 4 is desperately needed. If we can do this in the transfer window i think we'll start to see the best of our offensive players (Rochina, King, Vucka etc...) as it will bread confidence and expression into their football with having defensive minded players to rely on if "it doesn't come off".

Fingers crossed.

I really cant stand to watch him play football. I lost count of the amount of times he played lofted balls into the middle of the pitch for nobody on Saturday... Thus inviting play straight back at us

He does this all the time and I agree, it's one of the most infuriating things I've seen in a Rovers shirt.

It's the casual manner in which he does it that really gets to me. He strolls out with the ball quite slowly, then just plays this slow, chipped, aimless ball into the middle and the opposition immediately have possession again.

I don't understand why nobody has stopped telling him to do this.

I

I was supporting Rovers when that meant going to Oldham, Bury, Rochdale, Halifax, Southport, etc. I'm still a supporter now that's why I'm writing this at the moment. Does being a supporter mean having your eyes closed, or your football brain switched off ? Are we not allowed to tell it like it is ? I'd love the current team to go on a 20 game unbeaten run and shoot right up the table, but the evidence of my eyes and brain tell me it isn't going to happen. If we could get a couple of reliable replacements in the key positions ( we all know what they are ) we'd have a chance but now our " management " have kiboshed that we'll have settle for mid table mediocracy.

Archived