BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fourth Round Draw

Memories of 1975.

Getting to the Baseball Ground when we were in the 3rd Division. Charlie George making it 3-1 to them after Faz had smacked one in for us with a massive deflection.

I went to this with my dad and uncle. Remember one thing.....a Rovers fan with very long black hair and a mexican looking tash, looked a bit like Lemmy from Motorhead and was wearing a safety hat with a flashing blue light on top.

I used to always see him stood on the Riverside, always wore a denim jacket, he must be in his sixties now.

I went to this with my dad and uncle. Remember one thing.....a Rovers fan with very long black hair and a mexican looking tash, looked a bit like Lemmy from Motorhead and was wearing a safety hat with a flashing blue light on top.

I used to always see him stood on the Riverside, always wore a denim jacket, he must be in his sixties now.

That's me old mate Kenner, he's late 50's and bald as a coot now. Later that night he was actually stood in a roundabout directing traffic with that hat on. We went down in a VW Beetle with no heat @#/? freezin. We went a lot of away games and most all home games together.

That's me old mate Kenner, he's late 50's and bald as a coot now. Later that night he was actually stood in a roundabout directing traffic with that hat on. We went down in a VW Beetle with no heat @#/? freezin. We went a lot of away games and most all home games together.

Brilliant, I posted that just in case he was anyone on here. I always remembered him. Sure he used to stand in the middle of Riverside with the few singers. I used to nudge my dad and say. 'he's here again'. There were so few on the ground in those days I got to recognise the 'regulars'.

Still not seen anyone else with head gear like that!!!

Brilliant, I posted that just in case he was anyone on here. I always remembered him. Sure he used to stand in the middle of Riverside with the few singers. I used to nudge my dad and say. 'he's here again'. There were so few on the ground in those days I got to recognise the 'regulars'.

Still not seen anyone else with head gear like that!!!

Yes we would stand in the middle of the Riverside Darwend end side of the steps, most of the Accy boozing blues stood there. Great crack. You probably saw me too. Kenner did not miss much home or away, as did I but since he made more cash he managed more away games than I did. That hat was a crack up you should have seen the fun we had with it at night. We all used to go with Paul Astley in his car to away games when Gaz could get up here on the weekend as he was at Stafford Poly and if memory serves it was Stafford where Kenner was directing traffic with the hat on. Kenner stood out hat or no hat, much to our detriment at some away trips.

Yes we would stand in the middle of the Riverside Darwend end side of the steps, most of the Accy boozing blues stood there. Great crack. You probably saw me too. Kenner did not miss much home or away, as did I but since he made more cash he managed more away games than I did. That hat was a crack up you should have seen the fun we had with it at night. We all used to go with Paul Astley in his car to away games when Gaz could get up here on the weekend as he was at Stafford Poly and if memory serves it was Stafford where Kenner was directing traffic with the hat on. Kenner stood out hat or no hat, much to our detriment at some away trips.

Thanks. I used to go to loads of away games in those days also. I remember going over an extremely treacherous snake pass once and we picked a group of Rovers fans up whose car had skidded off the road and down a hill. I'm know it wasn't 'Lemmy', but they seemed a similar age to yourselves at the time. Don't suppose you knew them.

Sorry, I know its not related to the thread, but nice to put names to memories.

Memories of 1975.

Getting to the Baseball Ground when we were in the 3rd Division. Charlie George making it 3-1 to them after Faz had smacked one in for us with a massive deflection.

Great fun after Philip walking up the alleyway next to Rolls Royce factory!

Great fun after Philip walking up the alleyway next to Rolls Royce factory!
Interesting tales, was it a big game for us at the time? Because my dad recalls this one:

They took a magnum bottle of champagne into the game in 74/75, it fell off the back of a lorry. Strangely enough they didn't drink it because we got beat?

How times change, we'd have drunk it before the train reached Derby I'm sure!

Why? They are professional athletes . If they can't play a midweek game as well they shouldn't be footballers .

I'm not disputing that, and I'm sure they can play a midweek game as well, but when one of the teams has had one and the other hasn't it might make a difference. We might pick up some injuries in the Brighton game too. It might make Bowyer (or whoever) 'freshen' his squad up or it might mean our players are more leggy in the last 20 minutes than Derby's, but either way I'm simply asking whether anyone thinks it might have a bearing on what happens in the cup tie.

Interesting tales, was it a big game for us at the time? Because my dad recalls this one:

They took a magnum bottle of champagne into the game in 74/75, it fell off the back of a lorry. Strangely enough they didn't drink it because we got beat?

How times change, we'd have drunk it before the train reached Derby I'm sure!

Massive game for us, Derby won The league (Premier as is now) in '75 and we were in the Old Third div. So a bit like PNE playing Man Utd now.

Way things are going those sort of days may soon become the norm once again. If they do I somehow think they won't be quite as much fun.

The 5th round tie against Derby mentioned before was in the 1976/77 season. It was a big game for us at the time, I think it was the first time we had reached the 5th round of the cup since Man city beat us in 69. It was bit hairy after the game as was often the case at that time.

Thanks. I used to go to loads of away games in those days also. I remember going over an extremely treacherous snake pass once and we picked a group of Rovers fans up whose car had skidded off the road and down a hill.

Think that was Chesterfield in the Howard Kendall promotion season. The game went ahead but the weather was terrible, especially over the Snake Pass, the route we also took. Dying for a p!ss we pulled over at the top, literally jumped over the wall and sank up to our waists in snow! :lol:

Was also at the Derby cup game in 1977. They were league champions and we had recently come up from the third. We gave a good account of ourselves nevertheless. I remember going in to Derby on the coaches which had come to a halt on a type of ring road. As far as the eye could see was a line of coaches in front and behind. There were 40 coaches on our coach park and I was told there was a similar amount on another. We were put down the side in those days, a terrace under that low, concrete stand. Thousands of Rovers fans squashed in like sodding sardines. I can remmeber swaying to and fro and just having to go wherever the crowd took me. Happy days.

Think that was Chesterfield in the Howard Kendall promotion season. The game went ahead but the weather was terrible, especially over the Snake Pass, the route we also took. Dying for a p!ss we pulled over at the top, literally jumped over the wall and sank up to our waists in snow! :lol:

Was also at the Derby cup game in 1977. They were league champions and we had recently come up from the third. We gave a good account of ourselves nevertheless. I remember going in to Derby on the coaches which had come to a halt on a type of ring road. As far as the eye could see was a line of coaches in front and behind. There were 40 coaches on our coach park and I was told there was a similar amount on another. We were put down the side in those days, a terrace under that low, concrete stand. Thousands of Rovers fans squashed in like sodding sardines. I can remmeber swaying to and fro and just having to go wherever the crowd took me. Happy days.

It was indeed a huge game - did we go together to that? First big cup tie and largest away following for years and I really thought with Jim Smith's team we could get a result. I seem to recall the incomparable Waggy was injured for it (or was it Bailey) which took the edge off our game. Charlie George was sheer class for them.

Quite possibly. Went on the coach rather than the train although we went to so many away games in those days, many seem to merge into one!

I remember now I went in the car with others from our school. a car of Derby fans tried to run us off the road and threw a bottle under the front tyre while we were both going at breakneck speed. Happy days!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thought we should get the Derby match thread going again seeing as it is tomorrow!

Will support any team selection MA chooses. He must want to see some of the Portugeezers, Pingu etc. before he decides who can leave.

Although a good cup run would cheer us all up.

As I've put on the "Michael Appleton" thread, "Ah, bless!!" [The punctuation might be slightly different because I've had [another] glass of Red since posting it!]

I remember taking me ould feller to that 5th Round game in 1977. It was lovely because it was one of my attempts at repaying him for bringing me up as a Rover, despite my having been born and brought up in Blackpool.

Archived