BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers or religion ?

ABBEY

Not always a derby game. If either day fell on Sunday there wasn't a game.

I can remember Rovers winning away at West Ham 8 - 2 and then losing the return fixture two days later at Ewood 1 - 3.

Dec 26 1963 Absolutely classic set of results! How long would it take MoTD to get through this lot???

Blackpool 1-5 Chelsea

Burnley 6-1 Manchester United

Fulham 10-1 Ipswich Town

Leicester City 2-0 Everton

Liverpool 6-1 Stoke City

Nottingham Forest 3-3 Sheffield United

West Bromwich Albion 4-4 Tottenham Hotspur

Sheffield Wednesday 3-0 Bolton Wanderers

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-3 Aston Villa

West Ham United 2-8 Blackburn Rovers

Dunno about the rest but some amazing reversals in the return matches just two days later. WHU beat us at Ewood on the return fixture 2 days later whilst Man U hammered Burnley at OT and Ipswich who I think were defending Champions mullered Fulham at Portman Road.

Ah right, I can help out here. The last ever game played on Christmas day was Blackpool v Rovers. Rushed Christmas dinner down, to get off to Bloomfield Road - much to the annoyance of mum and Dad. I have the programme right in front of me.

Official Programme. Price 6d.

Saturday 25th December 1965.

Teams as per programme:

Blackpool-

Waiters

Armfield

Thomson

Turner

James

Green

Moir

Ball

Charnley

Waddell

Gates.

Rovers-

Else

Newton

Wilson

Clayton

Mulvaney

Sharples

Darling

G. Jones

England

Ferguson

Harrison

There's a lot of quality in those teams, but strangely Blackpool were 5th from bottom and we were 3rd from bottom.

Also, there was a quiz about rovers in the prog.

Q1 can you name the former BRFC player who scored 30 or more goals in four successive seasons some years ago?

Q2 Rovers beat Wham 8-2 at Upton Park on boxing day 1963. What was the return scoreline?

Q3 How many times have rovers reached the semi finals of the FA Cup since the war?

Q4 Is it true that rovers have appeared in FA Cup semi finals than any other club except one?

Q5 Have they ever scored 100 goals or more in a season since the war?

Q6 When they gained promotion from the second division in 1958, were rovers the champions?

Q7 How long has Jack Marshall been manager?

Q8 Which club did he manage before Rovers?

Answers later.

Didn't it used to be that you'd play a local derby on Christmas Day, then on Boxing Day you'd play the reverse fixture.

Yes. As others have demonstrated, matches were played on Christmas Day in the 1950s. Christmas Day and Boxing Day fixtures were the same fixture and reversed and usually the two clubs were located near to each other.

There was one man, a Lancashire man I'm lead to believe, who worked out the season's fixtures for many years on behalf of the Football League for all four divisions. He organised it so no-one would have to travel too far during the festive period; far better than these modern computers. By 1963 the machines had taken over, hence WHU v Rovers.

Dec 26 1963 Absolutely classic set of results! How long would it take MoTD to get through this lot???

Blackpool 1-5 Chelsea

Burnley 6-1 Manchester United

Fulham 10-1 Ipswich Town

Leicester City 2-0 Everton

Liverpool 6-1 Stoke City

Nottingham Forest 3-3 Sheffield United

West Bromwich Albion 4-4 Tottenham Hotspur

Sheffield Wednesday 3-0 Bolton Wanderers

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-3 Aston Villa

West Ham United 2-8 Blackburn Rovers

Dunno about the rest but some amazing reversals in the return matches just two days later. WHU beat us at Ewood on the return fixture 2 days later whilst Man U hammered Burnley at OT and Ipswich who I think were defending Champions mullered Fulham at Portman Road.

Gordon and Den, I remember that Boxing Day well. It must have been an 11 o'clock KO at Upton Park.

I was in the Dog and Partridge pub on Friargate in Preston with my mates and we checked the full-time score on the TV in the tap room and were gobsmacked and delighted to see the Rovers had won 8-2.

Two days later we watched them at Ewood get stuffed by the Hammers 3-1.

Still............happy days.

At Upton Park, didnt a young John Byrom get a hat trick?

Yes, he did.

Bobby Moore was captain of the Hammers as well. After that thrashing they got together for a dressing room serious talk and from then on they changed the way they played and improved dramatically.

Ah right, I can help out here. The last ever game played on Christmas day was Blackpool v Rovers. Rushed Christmas dinner down, to get off to Bloomfield Road - much to the annoyance of mum and Dad. I have the programme right in front of me.

Official Programme. Price 6d.

Saturday 25th December 1965.

Teams as per programme:

Blackpool-

Waiters

Armfield

Thomson

Turner

James

Green

Moir

Ball

Charnley

Waddell

Gates.

Rovers-

Else

Newton

Wilson

Clayton

Mulvaney

Sharples

Darling

G. Jones

England

Ferguson

Harrison

There's a lot of quality in those teams, but strangely Blackpool were 5th from bottom and we were 3rd from bottom.

Also, there was a quiz about rovers in the prog.

Q1 can you name the former BRFC player who scored 30 or more goals in four successive seasons some years ago?

Q2 Rovers beat Wham 8-2 at Upton Park on boxing day 1963. What was the return scoreline?

Q3 How many times have rovers reached the semi finals of the FA Cup since the war?

Q4 Is it true that rovers have appeared in FA Cup semi finals than any other club except one?

Q5 Have they ever scored 100 goals or more in a season since the war?

Q6 When they gained promotion from the second division in 1958, were rovers the champions?

Q7 How long has Jack Marshall been manager?

Q8 Which club did he manage before Rovers?

Answers later.

Amazing find Den!! Unfortunately the answers are a bit before my time....

As for this Hindu superstition nonsense - it's just another bizarre excuse. As others have said we have traded in January the previous two seasons fine. We are run by clowns.

As for venkys....why has it only all of a sudden affected them this January, what about the past two Januarys, or are they born-again Hindus?

It was no problem a couple of Januarys ago. They had good old Jerome camping out at Brockhall and the place was bouncing.

So, what is the meaning of life? Please tell me.

“You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.”

At Upton Park, didnt a young John Byrom get a hat trick?

He did, but not in the 8-2 game. He scored a hat trick in an away FA Cup game, when we drew 3-3. The replay saw us beat them 4-1 [i think] at Ewood and Andy McEvoy scored a hat trick. Bobby Moore my backside! I was at both games. The Wham fans had a terrible reputation in those days and a few rovers fans were attacked outside Upton Park.

........................................................................................................................

West Ham 2 – 8 Blackburn Rovers

Blackburn Rovers begun the day at the top of the table and they travelled to Upton Park to meet mid-table West Ham United. Turning out for the home side that day were Mssrs Moore, Hurst and Peters, who would all go on to earn World Cup winners medals 3 summers later. Blackburn were on an unbeaten run of 9 matches which had seen them overtake Liverpool at the top. Fred Pickering and Andy McEvoy both scored hat-tricks for Rovers as they thumped West Ham, 8-2.

http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/11/04/Goalden-Christmas.aspx

Archived