BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would prefer to wait until the end of the month and see how Gary Bowyer and Terry McPhillips have done and reassess the situation then. As we were all led to believe was happening... As everyone has said - there are far better candidates available so this is very much a surprise.

One thing I must say though - I saw Michael Appleton on the Footballers Football Show earlier in the season - he came across really well. Honest, dignified - a complete contrast to Steve Kean. Maybe it's just being an optimist, but if he does come in, I can see him doing ok. He would need the fans support though - It's the muppets in charge that are to blame for the mess we're in and we need to continue to back the team.

I'm probably going to get pelters for some of this. But I don't get this apparent hatred towards Appleton. Have any of us seen his teams or his setup? Or are we going off texts from mates and statistics? (I've noticed that win ratio is now the new buzz phrase as "sell on value" was 12 or so months ago.)

To be fair to the bloke its not his fault he's been given the potential opportunity to take over The Rovers job. He's sadly in a lose lose situation already. Lets give the bloke a chance to prove himself at least.

Firstly, win percentages mean sod all. People were screaming that we were losing too many under Berg, I'd happily agree with that, but he's not lost many whilst being at Blackpool, he's lost a lot less than Berg did in his tenure.

Clearly something has gone on at Blackpool for him to consider leaving already, no doubt with Oyston. If that's the case, would you prefer to have a bloke who stands up for what he believes in? Or a "Yes" man, who we've potentially been linked with in the recent past?

Yes he's not what everyone wants, he's not what I want, and he's not what we were promised. But when have we had something we were promised by Venkys etc?

I'd prefer to give Bowyer until the end of the month (as they previously stated) and potentially the end of the season If things panned out. But that's not to be the case.

If it happens, give him a chance, give him some time, and don't get on his back. Only if it gets to a point of where he loses the team and can't turn it around, then vent your anger. It's Venkys who've fecked us over, not Appleton.

We should be going for someone with experience of winning/getting promoted but we all know that the Venky's won't do that. Saying that I'm not too disappointed with Appleton, he is really highly rated in the game but we will need to drop any expectation of going up this year with him in charge. Still leaves the question why Venky's won't get someone in who will push us on now.

Any supporters on here saying they will be against him from the off should be looking at themselves...

I think Appleton is a dreadful choice, personally. Unimpressive record, uninspiring person. I really do give up with BRFC. Complete and utter disgrace.

If I had to accept reformation through the football leagues to get rid of Venky's, I most certainly take it. Shambles.

I'm probably going to get pelters for some of this. But I don't get this apparent hatred towards Appleton. Have any of us seen his teams or his setup? Or are we going off texts from mates and statistics? (I've noticed that win ratio is now the new buzz phrase as "sell on value" was 12 or so months ago.)

To be fair to the bloke its not his fault he's been given the potential opportunity to take over The Rovers job. He's sadly in a lose lose situation already. Lets give the bloke a chance to prove himself at least.

Firstly, win percentages mean sod all. People were screaming that we were losing too many under Berg, I'd happily agree with that, but he's not lost many whilst being at Blackpool, he's lost a lot less than Berg did in his tenure.

Clearly something has gone on at Blackpool for him to consider leaving already, no doubt with Oyston. If that's the case, would you prefer to have a bloke who stands up for what he believes in? Or a "Yes" man, who we've potentially been linked with in the recent past?

Yes he's not what everyone wants, he's not what I want, and he's not what we were promised. But when have we had something we were promised by Venkys etc?

I'd prefer to give Bowyer until the end of the month (as they previously stated) and potentially the end of the season I'd things panned out. But that's not to be the case.

If it happens, give him a chance, give him some time, and don't get on his back. Only if it gets to a point of where he loses the team and can't turn it around, then vent your anger. It's Venkys who've fecked us over, not Appleton.

Hatred? Who hates him? I'd hate him to be our manager as he's not good enough that's the only hate I feel, other than towards Venkys and the 3 clowns

I have serious misgivings about Appleton, we need a experienced manager, not another gamble. But if he is appointed then will support him and judge him on results, like every other manager.

This one is totally a team Shaw choice. Shebby is sidelined on this one, but I can't see him just accepting this. As I said few weeks ago best way forward is for Shaw, Shebby and Agnew to be removed.

It's pathetic! We have billy no-marks playing one-up man ship - with 137 years of history.

Not one of our current board deserves their position.

SACK THE BOARD!!

What's the betting Blackpool completely screw us on the compo (and it gets put on the tab)?

I'm sure he'is only on a yearly rolling contract at Pool and his wages there will be relatvely low, so compo shouldn't be to excessive.

I was thinking that there maybe a slight chance that Appleton isn't really after leaving pool, he could just be trying to force Oystons hand and give him the transfer/wage kitty he was promised when he took charge(its possible!)

Guest Norbert

The risk of him being good is too big. It is better to either take that risk with someone who is already in-house and turning things around (i.e. Bowyer), or getting someone with a bit more experience (i.e. Sven, Davies, Robins, O'Driscoll).

If it is any consolation, I am usually rubbish at predicting how managers do. I had one of those 'you never know, things might get better' feelings with Ince and Kean. I don't have that now. So expect Champions League football in 3 years time.

WHY should we just blindly accept any two bit nomark Venkys decide to employ? We've tried that once this season

I agree with this. Why should we just accept 'whoever' simply because time has passed by and we seem to be up in arms with every name that gets mentioned? If Venky's keep waving poor candidates in our faces, we have every right to be up in arms, every time!

Don't accept a name, just because you're weary and don't let the b*stards grind you down, that's one thing i've learned.

Gary Bowyer is doing a more than acceptable job. Why not wait until the end of January, as the club have previously said and see whether he is able to maintain his momentum? What's so wrong about a sensible plan?

Hatred? Who hates him? I'd hate him to be our manager as he's not good enough that's the only hate I feel, other than towards Venkys and the 3 clowns

I'm sure I scanned someone calling him. Bald ugly monkey man who's a muppet, although I'm not sure of the exact quote or what page it was on.

Shall we call it "dislike" rather than hatred then?

Archived